PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Asp!!!

abonear
09-06-2006, 03:16 PM
Hi everyone I`m new at the forum and I`m looking for some expert advise.

My husband was painting outside with a sprayer gun and without knowing

a neighbor moved his car. The wind I guess blew some of the paint over

to the car, which was far away but non the less fell on the black car.

The paint is oil base. The car looks like a white mist fell on it. It`s all over

and we are wondering what is the best way to remove it or if there is a

product that will get rid of the oil paint without hurting the paint of the car.

What can we do??? Thanks

Bigpoppa3346
09-06-2006, 03:20 PM
Try an overspray clay.

abonear
09-06-2006, 03:31 PM
I will try that, I wonder if after we clean it.. do we have to wax it or use a buffer or anykind.

db_abz
09-06-2006, 03:44 PM
Hopefully you won`t need to buff anything, the clay should lift off the over spray without damage.

Might be a nice gesture to put on a coat of wax though!

Dave

sdcj
09-06-2006, 05:05 PM
You might want to wash the car first, never a good thing to clay loose dirt. Also if you`re new to clay- be sure to lube.

abonear
09-06-2006, 05:29 PM
I just bought right now the Mothers Megs Clay and it says to only use the instant

detailer with the clay, since it`s alot of car to cover would soapy water be okay to

use..or should I buy more than one bottle of instant detailer solution.

imported_Tex Star Detail
09-06-2006, 05:47 PM
Soapy water would work fine. Make sure it is slick.

imported_02ZTSfocus
09-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Either one would work, but I prefer the QD. Some clays tend to get mushy when used with soapy water. The QD isnt that expensive anyways. :bigups

Hemi57
09-06-2006, 06:01 PM
Now I am no "expert" but I will try and explain the end to end process.

Wash the vehicle (out of the sun) and dry off, keeping it in a cold place out of the sun.

Cut your Clay bar into 3+ pieces (sizes which are comfortable for you to use) and only keep one out of the container.

Mold the piece of clay into a flat credit card size to suit the size of your 4 fingers

Use Quick Detailer as a (Generous) lubricant. Some people say that Dawn works okay too but I reckon it is too harsh and strips the wax too much

Use left-right then up-down motions across the section you are claying (moderate speed)

You should feel the surface getting slicker

Don`t try and do too big a section in one go. On a sedan do the hood in 4 sections/steps.

Check the surface of the Clay for contamination and kneel the Clay piece you are using as necessary

If the vehicle is badly contaminated with overspray it is likely the piece of Clay will become contaminated quickly and need to be put aside (discarded) and a new piece used.

Clay will remove wax too so you should wash the vehicle after Claying and apply another coat of product.

Try feeling the paint with you finger tip to feel for remaining contamination. Feels good? Now try with you hand in a plastic Freezer Bag. This increases the sensitivity.

Good luck.

BMWWW
09-06-2006, 06:55 PM
Hemi`s got it covered quite well.

A few more pointers:

- Try not to put pressure on the piece of clay. Try to `glide` or `guide` the piece of clay over the surface of the paint. Too much pressure, and you may slightly marr the paint!

Best of luck!

twitch
09-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Wow. I am surprised that no one has chimed in to say hold on, put the clay down, and whatever else you plan on taking to your neighbors vehicles paint.

Since you are not familiar with the processes you are attempting to tackle you should really leave the work to someone who is. It would be most beneficial for you to have a professional detailer remove the spots from his car. This will save you time and possibly money in the long run if your neighbor decides you messed up his paint further in attempt to correct. You don’t want to make your first attempt at your neighbors’ car especially when he is unhappy about the spotting already.

When you clay a vehicle you basically remove all of the protection that was there beforehand. It is absurd as well misleading for others to state that all you need to do is use clay. You WILL need to follow up with other steps depending on the condition of the paint when you finish. Claying sometimes causes marring if not handled carefully and if you are inexperienced you risk the chance of scratching the heck out of the finish as well.

Learning how to do this certainly has its time and place and by no means am I telling you not to get into detailing. I just don’t feel that you should jump into it and start with your neighbors’ vehicle, especially in this situation.

BTW, Welcome to Autopia and have fun looking around. There is PLENTY to see here.

Good luck :2thumbs:

Driven-528e
09-06-2006, 08:45 PM
Topoftheline.com sells road paint remover wipes for just this thing, if the clay doesnt work for you. The wipes are made by Sprayaway. They get the job done, but are very strong, so use with caution. Definitely consider twitch`s words of caution if you arent very experienced. However, it could be a good opportunity to learn! ...if your neighbor is a nice guy.

Envious Eric
09-06-2006, 10:07 PM
where are you located....maybe someone can help you out.....