PDA

View Full Version : Wax residue shows up 2 weeks later

UNCWDave
09-06-2006, 02:21 PM
Hello,

I`ve been trolling these forums for the past year. I can`t thank everybody enough for all of the tips & tricks. Now I have a question that I hope somebody can answer.

Two weeks ago I waxed my 2005 Silver Honda Pilot. I used NTX, waited 24 hours and then did a secodn application using Natty`s Blue. The car looked great. Not as good as most of the work I`ve seen on this site, but I was satisfied.

I didn`t wash the car for a week. Then I drove about 250 highway miles in the pouring rain. The next day, after the car had dried, I noticed that large sections of the car (such as half of a rear door) look as though I never buffed the wax off. At first I though this was just dried-on raod grime. But it isn`t. It is definitely wax. And this isn`t a little bit of hazing, it`s a layer of white wax.

I`ll admit, I probably used too much product to begin with. But I`m sure I wiped it all off. Does anybody know what happened? What did I do wrong?

Thanks,

UNCWDave

kompressornsc
09-06-2006, 02:29 PM
It`s ghosting. Some waxes (and sealants) will do this. It can look and feel like you`ve removed all the product, but it shows up after getting wet. Happens to me with Zaino sometimes. Just wash it off with your next wash, or if your car is clean enough, take it off with your favorite QD.

mikebai1990
09-06-2006, 03:53 PM
Hm... Past year? It seems like you just joined August :) You`ve probably read so much information, it feels like you`ve learned a year`s worth of knowledge :)

Anyway, I`ve also experienced your problem with the wax reappearing. Like kompressor said, rewashing, or a good wiping with QD will solve your problem. You mentioned that you probably used too much product. If you spread your wax thinly next problem, this ghosting problem shouldn`t happen again.

Bigpoppa3346
09-06-2006, 04:36 PM
I have this problem with PB`s EX-P. Now I just apply it with the PC, which lays down a thin, even coat, which also makes it easier to remove. Havent had the problem since.

Hemi57
09-06-2006, 04:44 PM
I have experienced this issue too and find that just washing does not remove the residual wax. I need a vigorous rub with MF to buff it off. Meg Gold Class seems the worst.

I will try the QD. Thanks for the tip.

UNCWDave
09-06-2006, 05:16 PM
Thanks for all of the tips. I figured it would come off with the next wash. I use Meg`s GC, so I guess I`ll have to use some elbow grease. I just couldn`t figure out how I missed all of that wax for the past few weeks.

I know I`m supposed to spread a very thin layer, but how thin is thin? My car is silver, so if I go reallly thin I can`t tell if wax is covering all of the paint.

It`s true, I have been a member since August. However, I have been a daily visitor since July 2005. I never registered becasue I never needed to post any questions. The search feature worked like a charm every time I needed it. But I had some difficulty finding advice about this current problem, so I finally used the account I created last month.

Thanks again for all of your help.

UNCWDave

imported_memnuts
09-06-2006, 05:34 PM
A few precautions:

Since you have driven the vehicle on a 250 mile trip, it is not a candidate for a simple QD session.

Be very careful when washing this wax residue off if it is as pronouced as you stated. This residue most likely has some very fine dirt embedded in it. This dirt will act like an abrasive and cause some serious swirling if not "gently" removed.

Pre-rinse very well.

Use a higher concentration of GC wash and very hot water. Wash gently and in a straight line motion. Like the surfactants in the GC do the work and dissolve the residue/dirt off rather the manual pressure (scrubbing).

BMWWW
09-06-2006, 06:50 PM
I have this problem with PB`s EX-P. Now I just apply it with the PC, which lays down a thin, even coat, which also makes it easier to remove. Havent had the problem since.

Yup, only experience I`ve had with ghosting was also with EX-P. I beleive I didn`t let the first layer cure long enough, before the second; I may have also used `too` thick a second layer.

Came right off with a QD!

MidLife Cruiser
09-07-2006, 07:08 AM
I have noticed this with Mother`s Carnauba Cleaner Wax. I thought it was just me and that I missed some spots. The ghosting I had always looked like some small streaks (little parallel lines of wax) that were a PITA to remove. They were noticed during the next wash job. Just washing didn`t take them off. It took some serious rubbin` with a microfiber to remove the stuff. Again, it was probably some spots where the application was too thick.

autoprincess
09-07-2006, 07:47 AM
The spotting is mainly caused from a cure time. Carnauba is great for this ghosting streak effect. That is why when you wax your car one day and the next day or after it rains you see spots on your bumper or under the mirror extc. It`s not a big deal really, yes it probably looked great when you were all done, but the time factor sets in, I think it happens and/or has happend to us all.

emaxxman
09-07-2006, 09:07 AM
I have experienced this issue too and find that just washing does not remove the residual wax. I need a vigorous rub with MF to buff it off. Meg Gold Class seems the worst.

I will try the QD. Thanks for the tip.

I agree. I got the same problem with NXT spray wax. The normal liquid dries clear so there is no problem. The spray booster wax doesn`t dry clear. I got little patches about 2 days later that looked like dust but was actually wax. It didn`t wash off (which is a good thing for durability). I had to rebuff with a mf towel after a wash.

Setec Astronomy
09-07-2006, 09:22 AM
Yup, only experience I`ve had with ghosting was also with EX-P. I beleive I didn`t let the first layer cure long enough, before the second; I may have also used `too` thick a second layer.

Came right off with a QD!

EX-P seems to be the king of this problem (I have the old, thicker version). It wasn`t more than a nuisance on the paint, but the stuff that appeared on the trim a couple weeks later was a huge project to eliminate.

I got the same problem with NXT spray wax. The spray booster wax doesn`t dry clear. I got little patches about 2 days later that looked like dust but was actually wax. It didn`t wash off (which is a good thing for durability). I had to rebuff with a mf towel after a wash.

I made the mistake once, during a sunny winter wash session, of suggesting to my friend Jr. that she use the NXT booster since it was the middle of winter and she could probably use some more protection on top of her NXT. For some reason the NXT Spray Wax turned to iron almost immediately and she had a heck of a time trying to buff off the residue...now I can`t even mention NXT--either kind.

Alan S
09-07-2006, 01:36 PM
Hello,

I`ve been trolling these forums for the past year. I can`t thank everybody enough for all of the tips & tricks. Now I have a question that I hope somebody can answer.

Two weeks ago I waxed my 2005 Silver Honda Pilot. I used NTX, waited 24 hours and then did a secodn application using Natty`s Blue. The car looked great. Not as good as most of the work I`ve seen on this site, but I was satisfied.

I didn`t wash the car for a week. Then I drove about 250 highway miles in the pouring rain. The next day, after the car had dried, I noticed that large sections of the car (such as half of a rear door) look as though I never buffed the wax off. At first I though this was just dried-on raod grime. But it isn`t. It is definitely wax. And this isn`t a little bit of hazing, it`s a layer of white wax.

I`ll admit, I probably used too much product to begin with. But I`m sure I wiped it all off. Does anybody know what happened? What did I do wrong?

Thanks,

UNCWDave

I have the identical issue here, with NXT!

Just waxed a week and a half ago and since we`ve been getting poured on for several days straight here in S Florida, typical summer rains. I`m planning on washing and speed detaling (NXT) this weekend - fingers crossed for a sunny morning ;)

I`m somewhat new to `proper` detailing myself also, I`ve been using NXT for wash, wax, and QD and I must say pretty happy with it, easy to work with and excellent results. :)

Bigpoppa3346
09-07-2006, 02:42 PM
EX-P seems to be the king of this problem (I have the old, thicker version). It wasn`t more than a nuisance on the paint, but the stuff that appeared on the trim a couple weeks later was a huge project to eliminate.

Yes I noticed the trim problem also. I was recently washing my dad`s X5(lots of rubber trim, paint had VM+EX-P 3 weeks ago) and found residue all over the rubber. I know it wasn`t there when I did the car, or even the last time I washed it. Makes me seriously reconsider using EX-P on customers cars.

Raven
09-07-2006, 07:37 PM
I had the same problem with Poorboys EX, found that if I applied it by PC then it didn`t happen. Must have something to do with layering it on a bit too thick.