PDA

View Full Version : Help Me!!! Pc Usage!

ridewithaG
09-05-2006, 11:22 PM
ok! Finally my PC came in today... thinkin that I know how to use it... I spent 2hr and still no result!!! I follow the direction... compounding (3M) witha cutting pad and use the swirl remover (Meguair #9) with the finsihing pad... i still see tons of swirl MARK! I wash the car and clay it before I start. Any tips guys? I was wonderin... when I was compounding... I was suppose to wipe it off after Im done buffing it in? is there a time limit that u should compunding in a certain spot? HELP HELP HELP! Im using this kit that I got from autopia. http://autopia-carcare.com/son-daspad-kit.html (http://) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/kappapsi497/2005/Summer%2005/DSC06683.jpg

My car looks kinda like this!

imported_wagsjr
09-06-2006, 12:19 AM
The pc is not designed for compounding. You will need a rotary to do that. The PC is not that aggressive. As for the 82, very light cleaning ability. Start with #80 and after a pass or two if it doesent work step it up to 83.

Also stick around and spend a few hours reading some back posts and you will learn plenty. Hope this helps/

qadsan
09-06-2006, 12:24 AM
You need to step things up to #80 and see where that takes you. If things don`t look much better after 2 or 3 slow passes in at leasat 2 different directions, then try a couple more passes with #80. If that`s not getting the job done, then step it up to #83.

You did the right thing by starting out with the least agressive product and now it`s time to step things up a bit and see where that takes you. The best thing to do is to tape off a small area (i.e. 1ft X 1ft) and use that as your test area to find out what product, pad, pressure, speed, etc, works to reduce or remove the swirls to your satisfaction. Once you figure out the process that works for that area, then you know what will generally work for the rest of the surfaces in that condition.

Pictures are hard to work from, but just from the looks of things I probably would have started out with #80 on your hood if I was using a Megs product.

Remember to work small areas at a time (i.e. 1/4 of the hood). Only use between 15 to 20lbs of pressure on the PC`s head and move the PC at about 1 to 2 inches per second. Overlap your passes by 50% and make at least 2 or 3 passes in at least two different directions. #80 is a terrific product and you can work it for a while, but be sure to work it in the shade as opposed to direct sun light.

DSVWGLI
09-06-2006, 12:55 AM
You need to step things up to #80 and see where that takes you. If things don`t look much better after 2 or 3 slow passes in at leasat 2 different directions, then try a couple more passes with #80. If that`s not getting the job done, then step it up to #83.

You did the right thing by starting out with the least agressive product and now it`s time to step things up a bit and see where that takes you. The best thing to do is to tape off a small area (i.e. 1ft X 1ft) and use that as your test area to find out what product, pad, pressure, speed, etc, works to reduce or remove the swirls to your satisfaction. Once you figure out the process that works for that area, then you know what will generally work for the rest of the surfaces in that condition.

Pictures are hard to work from, but just from the looks of things I probably would have started out with #80 on your hood if I was using a Megs product.

Remember to work small areas at a time (i.e. 1/4 of the hood). Only use between 15 to 20lbs of pressure on the PC`s head and move the PC at about 1 to 2 inches per second. Overlap your passes by 50% and make at least 2 or 3 passes in at least two different directions. #80 is a terrific product and you can work it for a while, but be sure to work it in the shade as opposed to direct sun light.

This is great advice. As far as the PC not being designed for compounding, that may be true but it works quite well if you use it right. I have compounded out some heavily marred paint with a PC, it just takes a little more time and patience.

ridewithaG
09-06-2006, 11:11 AM
Thanks alot guys but when you compund... are u suppose to wipe off the compound becuz i still have some left or u compound it till it dry out?

DSVWGLI
09-06-2006, 02:47 PM
Thanks alot guys but when you compund... are u suppose to wipe off the compound becuz i still have some left or u compound it till it dry out?

Depends on the polish you are using. Some, like the SSR line you work them till they flash, others till they start to become transparent ie: Optimum.

backwoods_lex
09-06-2006, 03:03 PM
I recently purchased a pc and had no luck at first. I first started to have success when I began using blue 3M painters tape and marking small 1` X 1` sections. I have shown a lot of improvement since then and now work larger areas.