PDA

View Full Version : Garage Safety

ZaneO
09-05-2006, 03:15 PM
What safety items do you guys have in your garage (ie. first aid kit, fire extinguisher, etc.)?

Beason
09-05-2006, 03:42 PM
duct tape. can fix most major wounds or hold them till you get to the ER.

just a simple first aid kit in the laundry room right by the garage and a fire extinguisher in the storage room.

stilez
09-05-2006, 03:45 PM
My car comes with a First Aid Kit :D.

Other than that, some IPA (haha).

I don`t do anything other than clean in the garage and for what I have, those should warrant enough. I also always have my cell phone on me in case I do get trapped or get in a bind.

Zane, what do you currently have stocked?

imported_Tex Star Detail
09-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Garage? I don`t have a stinkin Garage........... :mad: :(

ZaneO
09-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Zane, what do you currently have stocked?

I don`t have anything other than some jack stands...which got me thinking about this...what would I do in case of fire, injury, etc.? :nixweiss

imported_chpsk8
09-05-2006, 04:45 PM
I keep two fire extiguishers in the garage and one in my workshop in the basement. Last thing I want is to burn the place down! :D

imported_MCA
09-05-2006, 05:03 PM
I have a fire extinguisher (be sure to keep these checked/up-to-date), first-aid kit, safety goggles, breathing mask, gloves, some liquid-absorbing particles (don`t know the techinical name).

Hope this helps...MCA

scottlee
09-05-2006, 05:09 PM
other than whats been mentioned, i had my dad, who is a retired electrician install GFI outlets in my garage, now i am looking into buying GFI extension cords for the times i am working in a remote location that may not have GFI outlets

Accumulator
09-06-2006, 11:39 AM
Not sure where "standard equipment" leaves off and "safety equipment" starts...

Jackstands (*very good* jackstands), wheel chocks, jacks with excess capacity, GFIs, face shield, appropriate gloves and protective clothing, fire extinguishers, friction media in the floor coating, spill-management stuff, flashlights, fire/smoke detectors and security system that communicates with the house...these all seem like sorta standard equipment to me; I set up my home shop about the same way I had things back when we had the dealership, only on a smaller scale.

First Aid stuff includes a comprehensive first aid kit, baking soda (ever work with acidic products? ;) ), and eyewash stuff, all where they can be accessed quickly should the need arise.

IMO one of the most overlooked safety items is communication capability- cell phone, landline, intercom, *something* you can use to call for help.

Brad B
09-10-2006, 03:29 PM
I have a large first aid kit that mounts to the wall, 3 fire extinquishers, and an intercom and cordless phone. My hydraulic lift has several automatic safety stop positions so it can`t come back down on you. I also have an exhaust tube for running cars inside.