PDA

View Full Version : Claybar on headlights, windshield?

zb123
09-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Hi,

Can I use Claybar on my headlights (`02 Maxima), which I assume are plastic (they look a little dull and are not smooth). Also can I use it on my windshield? If so, do I need to apply anything on my headlights or windshield to seal the surface (as you would with wax for the painted parts of the car)? Thanks!

qballjr13
09-05-2006, 11:47 AM
I had the exact same problem with my `00 Maxima. I tried clay but that is more of a cleaner. The haze is actually small dings and scratches in the lens. I wetsanded mine from 1000 grit to 1500 grit to 2000 grit then used my PC with some Meg`s Scratch-X and they looked good as new. I know how expensive the headlight assemblies are for the 5.5 gen Maximas so this method would be worth your time. You could even buy a PC and it would still be much cheaper than the headlights (I have seen them for up to $1200 a pair...and that is just the headlight housing)

dpritchett
09-05-2006, 12:18 PM
Clay will definitely work on your windows -- I think for plastic surfaces like headlights, you should look at a plastic polish like Plexus, etc.

imported_Dave KG
09-05-2006, 12:20 PM
I use clay on all the glass areas on my car - side windows, windscreen, rear glass... I also use it on any glass headlights or light clusters, and it work a treat. I generally follow this with either Autoglym Glass Polish or Clearkote Vanilla Moose Wax hand glaze applied by PC to glass areas using a finishing pad.

As for plastic lights, I would use something like Meguiars PlastX.