PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Wheels with Black spots?

gbogh3
09-04-2006, 03:08 PM
While cleaning the wheels today, I noticed there are small black `bumps` on the front wheels. They did not come off while I cleaned off the break dust, then I used a wax cleaner, still nothing. I then used an older clay bar (Z18) and it kinda helped, but it took a good 3 mins claying the same spot.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

gavin

imported_paradigm
09-04-2006, 03:13 PM
it`s tar...use a tar remover (tarminator, turtle wax tar & bug remover, etc). if it`s really bad, straight mineral spirits or WD-40 will work too.

gbogh3
09-04-2006, 03:19 PM
it`s tar...use a tar remover (tarminator, turtle wax tar & bug remover, etc). if it`s really bad, straight mineral spirits or WD-40 will work too.

Thanks. I will make a run this afternoon to get some stuff.

joyriiide1113
09-04-2006, 03:54 PM
Don`t be soo quick to assume it is tar. It can be, but if results don`t shine after the tar remover, use an acid based wheelcleaner. What I think it might be, is actually brakedust, especially if you mention its primarily on the front wheels. They obviously get the most brake force. When it accumilates the brake dust gets bad, and along with heat they sort of bake into the wheel. Brake dust is small metal aprticles. Wheel cleaners with acid ingredients melt away the metal to a point that it becomes a lot easier. Give it a try.

A good strong OTC acid-based cleaner is Meguiars Hot Rims.

Joy.

imported_paradigm
09-04-2006, 04:09 PM
joyriiide1113 - true...you may also be correct. i`ve never seen brake dust stick in clumps, but rather as caked on everywhere...but i can see that happening as well. the worst i`ve seen (with tar) was a porsche i did a few weeks ago. huge chunks of tar everwhere on the farthest inside part of the front rims. it was a huge PITA.