PDA

View Full Version : Got Tar?

wannafbody
09-04-2006, 02:04 PM
I decided to throw a coat of Duragloss 111 on our work pickup. I used the 601(with a cotton applicator) as a base figuring it would be a strong enough cleaner to remove little tar micro-dots (from road construction) since I didn`t want to do a full machine polish on the vehicle. I was surprised that the 601 wasn`t able to fully remove the tar. I could remove some of the dots but it took a lot of rubbing. Next I tried some tarminator- it wasn`t much more effective. Next I grabbed some ZPC and tried a foam applicator. To my surprise the ZPC started to dissolve the spots with much less effort than either of the previous products. IMO ZPC pretty much makes other paint cleaners obsolete.

disclaimer- The vehicle was clayed roughly 4 months ago and clay didn`t remove everything that has accumulated thru the years. IMO a full machine polish with ZPC would probably remove some of the stuff that other polishes weren`t able to remove.

Joshua312
09-04-2006, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the heads up...Another easy way to get rid of tar on vehicles like that is using WD-40, simply walk around the vehicle and spray the surface. By the time you get around the vehicle just wipe away with a grung microfiber dedicated for this use. It will just wipe away with ease...

I`ll have to try some ZPC sometime..sounds promising!

Brace1
09-04-2006, 04:51 PM
Another option is PB`s Bug Squash, not only does phenomenal on the bugs but works pretty well on tar also. :getdown

imported_wagsjr
09-04-2006, 06:58 PM
I hope tarminator is good for bugs. Just ordered some

a.k.a. Patrick
09-04-2006, 07:07 PM
Wanna, neither of those prod`s claim to remove tar though. The 471 (Bug remover) will however...i think the 111 is more protectionthen Polishing/cleaning. Duragloss should take another look at the way thy have labeled their products......

wannafbody
09-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Wanna, neither of those prod`s claim to remove tar though. The 471 (Bug remover) will however...i think the 111 is more protectionthen Polishing/cleaning. Duragloss should take another look at the way thy have labeled their products......

True, but 601 contains cleaners for removing old sealant. The 111 doesn`t contain cleaners. Not knocking either 601 or Tarminator but rather that ZPC is very effective at cleaning even by hand.

94BlkStang
09-04-2006, 10:43 PM
True, but 601 contains cleaners for removing old sealant. The 111 doesn`t contain cleaners. Not knocking either 601 or Tarminator but rather that ZPC is very effective at cleaning even by hand.

In order to effectively remove tar you have to use a cleaner that will break down the composition of the product you`re trying to remove. With tar being a petroleum based product, the best bet is to use a mineral spirit based product or just straight mineral spirits. WD40 works effectively as it contains kerosene as a carrier. I suggest purchasing a pint of mineral spirits at a paint or hardware store for this purpose. It takes much of the work and softens the tar for easy removal. Mineral spirits is a very mild solvent and will not harm the paint, but waxing will be necessary.

:waxing: