PDA

View Full Version : Lambswool versus Sheepskin

gav'spurplez
09-04-2006, 10:42 AM
I have a wash mitt from target. I think it is lambswool, and I have been using it to wash my camaro. It looks "fuzzy" and soft when it is dry but when it gets wet, the fibers look longer.

I had an electronic gift card for the autopia store, so i got 2 new MFWW drying towels and

one of these mitts

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/vk-103.html

now when that mitt gets wet, it seems not to absrob the water and get super soft.

this does not make me too comfortable when washing the freshly polished, swirl free surface.

so now i`m thinking about going back to target and buying a new mitt, ( since i had a "succession" of all my mitts, when i got the new one )

anyone have any opinions on which material is better or which one you prefer.

just curious

a.k.a. Patrick
09-04-2006, 11:12 AM
The one from Autopia isnt synthetic, but appears in looks to be a Eurow Sheepskin. Probably one of the best, if not the best Sheepskin Washmitt available to detailers. What absorbs is actually the pelt, not the fibers. The fibers will hold water, but pelts are like sponges. Each sheepskin is unique, unlike sponges. Whatever you do decide to get, i would stay with something natural......

gav'spurplez
09-04-2006, 01:09 PM
how truthful are the descriptions on the tags ?

i take it the ones from target or a parts store are more liekly to be synthetic :nixweiss

dxt
09-04-2006, 02:05 PM
I too was looking for a new wash mitt and just saw this interesting post on another forum

http://www.detailcity.org/forums/edgepads-com-sponsored-forum/19563-my-take-the-edge-shmitt-prototype.html

Usually I would not use a sponge but this looks unique.

Evenflow
09-04-2006, 02:09 PM

i take it the ones from target or a parts store are more liekly to be synthetic :nixweiss

The one posted looks exactly like the one I got from Ocean state job lot for $5. Very nice washmitt and they actually hold up. 10+ washes and its still fine and plush.

gav'spurplez
09-04-2006, 03:31 PM
The one posted looks exactly like the one I got from Ocean state job lot for $5. Very nice washmitt and they actually hold up. 10+ washes and its still fine and plush.

10 + washes in the washing machine right ?

Wasatch
09-04-2006, 04:47 PM
I just started using my Autopia Sheepskin mit, very nice, the other one I had was nice, but disentagrated in about one year.

Evenflow
09-04-2006, 04:57 PM
10 + washes in the washing machine right ?

Both car washes and the washing machine.

a.k.a. Patrick
09-04-2006, 07:20 PM

I would think if the product comes from a reputable source, then the description should not be misleading in any way. However, just use common sense (the way it feals) when purchasing from mass supply retail/chain stores.

DXT, as for that wash thing, just not my cup of tea. Not saying they`re not good, it just doesnt interst me. I will let the buyers determine its value as I have never seen one before.....

Even, Ive had some last 30 washes, some last 3! It really depends on the pelt. Im not sure if that has anything to do with the particular time of year that the product is "harvested", but I would imagine a winter harvest would yield a thicker pelt. And unfortunatley, none of us have any control over that aspect.