PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Hyper Compound Mini-review

imported_02ZTSfocus
09-04-2006, 01:05 AM
I know OHC is discussed on here quite throughly (and for good reason I might add) but I didn`t think it would hurt for me to give a small review on it after using it on a big detailing project this weekend.

Packaging: Came in a 32oz bottle which I found to be quite difficult to manage. In trying to maneuver the bottle around and getting the product out I would say that I spilled enough enough product to do 2 - 3 panels on a car. I have already ordered some smaller 4oz bottles to put this stuff into because the container it came in was pretty bad.

Price:13.99 @ autogeek.net

Product/Application: I used a yellow LC cutting pad w/ a PC to apply this product on a 1998 Gran Prix SE horribly swirled and with some light oxidation. I found that doing 2 separate passes with the PC on speed 6 cleared almost all the swirl marks up. I spread the polish out on speed 2 and worked it in on speed 6 moving about 1" per second. As everyone has said, this products has basically zero dust. Whereas the 3M I was using was similar to standing in a saw-mill :chuckle:

I wasn`t sure exactly how much to use and I was only able to do half the hood and one quarter-panel before the pad was horribly clogged with polish. I was applying roughly quarter-sized amounts of polish to the pad for each pass (2 per panel). After a quick rinse of the pad I found that using substantially less compound worked a lot better. Using the right amount of polish allowed me to do the rest of the car having to only rinse the pad once.

Looks: OHC did an awesome job of clearing up 85-90% of the swirl marks, everything else was pretty deep and I didn`t expect to ever come out without a lot more aggressive of an approach. It finished very nicely compared to the 3M PI-II RC that I had previously tried. There was only some very light swirling and a small amount of hazing left behind.

Thoughts: I loved this product mainly because it seems quite aggressive yet does not dust at all and finishes down so nicely. Its also very notable how long the work time on this stuff is, I worked the polish in each panel for at least 3-4 passes moving quite slow and I could have probably worked longer. I definitely see myself keeping some OHC in my detailing regimen.

I liked this product enough that I just ordered some OP tonight to go along with it. I figured it would work nicely to clean up any hazing the OHC left behind.

Evenflow
09-04-2006, 01:10 AM
Good mini review.

I haven`t had a problem with the bottle however. I like the cap, it applies the product very thinly and evenly.

imported_02ZTSfocus
09-04-2006, 01:15 AM
Of course I have to post some pics :2thumbs:

The whole car was pretty much in this condition, only this doesn`t show much of the oxidation that was taking place on the hood, roof, and trunk. As you can see the swirl marks are pretty bad.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/8792/papsdetail030kf3.jpg

This is a 50\50 shot of the hood after 2 passes with OHC. The picture does not even begin to do the actual transformation justice. Everyone that saw it said it was incredible the difference that I was able to make. Completely removed all the oxidation and about 90% of the swirl marks.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/8118/papsdetail043zp2.jpg

This is after using some Adams Swirl & Haze Remover and one coat of Collinite #845.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/5522/papsdetail051rr0.jpg

johnhoefer
09-04-2006, 03:50 AM
Wow, nice work. I love OHC. I unit 50/50 with the Polish or even 25/75. then something as mild as Prime Strong will get out hazing.

Bigpoppa3346
09-04-2006, 07:24 AM
Nice review. I find myself reaching for it very often, as it takes out the deeper swirls and marring that Menzerna IP can`t touch. I, also have corrected NASTY defects with it, yet go to a light finshing polish(in my case, FPII) and the haze and micromarring is gone and you have a beautiful, defect free finish. I love the no dusting, but it does seem to gum up pads a bit and, for me, I get a *lot* of hazing on the softer paints.

Mach30SiR
09-04-2006, 08:34 AM
+1 for OHC - love the stuff!! I`ve seen the exact same results!

wannafbody
09-04-2006, 09:39 AM
it`s pretty aggressive with a rotary and cutting pad- works well

martinager
09-04-2006, 12:42 PM
Wow, nice work. I love OHC. I unit 50/50 with the Polish or even 25/75. then something as mild as Prime Strong will get out hazing.

Do you have any pictures of that combination in action? 6" lake country on the pc ?

johnhoefer
09-04-2006, 03:38 PM
No, used it on my friends black Mustang when I had the flu, so I didn`t feel like taking the time to the pics. My car is titanium silver metallic and its hard for me to tell where the swirls are by sight let alone photograph them. Next time I get a chance I will. Check Scottwax`s or Picus`s threads, I think I got it from one of them. You can add the OP to any polish to increase the work time of it.