PDA

View Full Version : Need more efficiency

justin30513
09-03-2006, 07:46 AM
Ok guys, as most of you know, I`m a mobile detailer. I`ve tweaked what equipment I`ve used and I`m ever searching for more space and efficiency. I`ve put all of my polishes and waxes into 8oz bottles to save space. I`ve moved to a smaller hand held shap vac. It`s 1.0HP/1gal and seems stronger than my 3.5HP-5gal Rigid! I`m noticing alot of us go overboard on bottle sizes too. I have a 8oz pump spray bottle of FK1`s protectant that I`ve used for about 3 weeks now! Same for my car wash. Concentrated so why carry a gallon around?

What I`m asking is for you all to post pics of your setups and tell why you like what you`ve done. This is asking alot but I believe it will help others with ideas not thought of by an individual. I know alot use the clients water as do I, but if you have a tank setup let us see!

Show your storage systems too. If you can, list the evolution of you setups.

Thanks....I know this is some work but thanks.

Justin

justin30513
09-04-2006, 05:24 PM
No help here at all?

Beason
09-04-2006, 06:17 PM
got no pics of how I work. But normally I grab all the products Im going to use for the detail and lay them out before hand so I dont have to go searching for them in mid-detail. Also find a routine that works for you and stick with it. Also if you have dual purpose products then use it. I know you can have a protectant for leather, plastic and vinyl protects. But that means three different clothes and three different trips to pick up the product. Some products can be used for more then one thing such as Optimum Protectant Plus and that saves time. Might not be the best, but does fine and saves time.

PhaRO
09-05-2006, 12:44 PM
I tend to agree with people going overboard, but that is just me. As long as they are happy it doesn`t matter to me if they drive around in a semi. I run with a standard bed S10. I carry 50gallon tank, pressure washer, generator, vacuum, hose reel (for seperate hose beside pressure washer), step stool, dozen or so 32oz spray bottles of stuff, 12volt pump, extension cord, bucket. That is in the bed and I can fit more. In the cab I carry about 6 gallons of stuff behind the seat (not extened cab), 50 foot extra hose behind the seat, rotary and pc, assortment of pads, mitts, 75 mf towels, 12v air compressor, tool box, extra clothes, running shoes and gym clothes, bag full of polishes, portable steamer, invertor and various odds and end. Rarely do I need to sit anyone in the passenger seat but if I do, the bulk of my stuff is in 2 bags and a canvas laundry bag (like hospital type).

Most of the time everything is easy to grab, nothing needs to be moved. Exception would be if I need my buffers then I have to lift another bag to get to it. I work in such a way that I spend almost no time deploying or cleaning up my equipment on site. I`ve seen guys take huge amounts of time setting up shop and closing it down.

justin30513
09-05-2006, 02:29 PM
I`m actually using a small Karcher and love it. I`m saving up for a Honda generator....iu1000 I think. SOOOO quiet and about the size of a 5 gallon gas can. Downfall.....1000.00! I`ll be totally set after this though.

Thanks guys.

imported_Grouse
09-05-2006, 03:13 PM
i guess i am having trouble understanding where you want efficiency. Is it in organization of product in your rig? or in organization in your process and work flow.

justin30513
09-05-2006, 03:50 PM
Sorry.

My rig. I want to conserve space and all. Easier flow too.

Hope I`m making any sense.

imported_Grouse
09-05-2006, 04:02 PM
I really cant help with the rig, as i don`t see it, i don`t work with it.

However i can help maybe just a bit in the area of work flow.

set up your product into stages. So that when you are at stage 1 the box for stage one includes everything you need for stage one.

stage 2 contains everything for that.

For instance stage 1 may be your meet & Greet, with vehicle inspection. So your stage one package would include their work for, basic map of a vehicle, area to put trouble spots, ect ect.

Stage 2 may include what you need to set up your truck for working. IE, water hoses, buckets. This allows you to get it up and runnign with out repeatedly walking back and forth.

stage 3 might be your washing kit. Everything you need to wash thoroughly and dry.

stage 4 could be your paint prep kit, tape, clay, lube, compounds, polish, pc and pads.

ect ect

This means you can then un pack and repack the vehicle as you are finished with it. Keeping repeated walking, searching, and wasted time down to a min.

Try and plan 5 steps ahead of yourself. when you reach step five, stand back, recover yourself and plan your next five steps. After a while for me at least it becomes second nature.

imported_Reflections
09-06-2006, 02:11 PM
This is the only pic I could find that shows my stuff.

http://mobilereflections.ca/box/94jetta1.jpg

From left to right.

Unseen in a blue duffel - PC, Metabo rotary, backing plates

Also Unseen - three extension cables, 100 foot garden hose, fireman hose nozzle, 500 watt halogen x 2 light stand. I don`t use pressure washers anymore, too cumbersome and not necessary.

Black duffel - steamer + attachments, vacuum attachments, some detailing brushes that I never use

Container 1 - wheel brushes, boars hair wash brush that I never use, masking tape, clay, assorted stuff including screw drivers for plates, replacement plate screws, etc

Container 2 - Buffing pads

Container 3 - All detailing solutions/polishes that are not from concentrate

Container 4 - Retail products for clients including wash mitts, drying towels, mf dusters, microrestore, some other stuff. (I often leave this in my truck)

Container 5 - Solutions from concentrate (stores 8 of them) + a couple extra solutions

Container 6 - MF towels carefully folded and arranged

White pump-sprayer - Carpet prespray solution

Yellow pump-sprayer - Optimum no rinse sprayer

Black thing with hose - Carpet extractor

Two wash buckets with dollys, grit guards, lids

Not pictured in my work vehicle - brief case with cellular point of sale terminal, calculator, invoices, gift certificates, licenses and insurance, pens, stapler.

I think that`s about everything I roll with. Here`s my work truck (although it now has my company logos and what not on it - can`t post cause of contact info but it looks sharp!!

The 6 containers get stacked in the back seat 2 x 2 x 2, the hose goes on the floor behind the seats, with the duffel bags on top, with the extention cables on top of that. In the back goes everything else crammed in there like a tetris puzzle. I have it down to a science and can load and unload in about 5 minutes each way.

http://mobilereflections.ca/box/torrent.jpg

And here`s an after of that jetta for fun.

http://mobilereflections.ca/box/94jetta2.jpg