PDA

View Full Version : Detailing is my drug of choice..

Pages : [1] 2

xTravBx
09-02-2006, 07:14 PM
Well, this could be in an off-topic forum, but I think it goes best right here.

I`ve been addicted to cars ever since I got my license at the age of 16. A solid 8 years of modifying, restoring, upgrading, fixing, etc.

I`ve worked in shops doing professional detailing. Since then, I`ve done it on my own, generally for free, for friends and family.

Why free? It`s my drug of choice.

When I`m detailing, and polishing, and restoring, whether its a Chevy Prizm, a BMW 540i, my own VW 1.8T, you name it - I just love doing it. I have no other cares in the world. I for once can fully concentrate on the task at hand. Making this vehicle look showroom again. I just can zone out for hours. I love it. It`s an art, and its my drug.

I just had to share my thoughts with everyone. It`s been one of those long days, stress at work, stress in my relationship, stress in school. It`s everywhere. But tomorrow, I`ll be detailing an untouched 1996 black on black Volvo 850 turbo. It is in need of some serious work, and I can`t wait to get to business on it.

:thx

SVR
09-02-2006, 07:38 PM
Awesome

I`m addicted to it. A great drug indeed

Spending all that time on a vehicle and then standing back when finished and seeing the transformation that you have done is incredibly rewarding and achieving the results I have lately, gives me a real confidence boost.

Brian_Brice
09-02-2006, 07:46 PM
i agree, i sneak out every chance i get to do some form of detailing to my vehicles. my confidence level has gone from very low to extremely high thanks to studying this site and constantly refreshing my memory. ive pretty much read every thread on here and they have helped me become very capable. i started using my rotary the same time i got my pc so i could learn both at the same time as opposed to going through another learning curve. its simply amazing what the mind can do when the rest is interested.

i worked in sales for years including some car sales, and was very successful at it but never strived for anything i just relied on natural ability and let the chips fall. with the help of autopia and the interest i have for being known for great work i now have the ability to quickly calculate and determine the process needed or best suited for each car i touch. i dont think without this site i would have ever been able to do so.

dont worry about the bug trav, we`ve all got it and its not an illness to be ashamed of!!!

VWdriver
09-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Detailing is cool and all but I still like sitting down and doing drugs more. :/

xTravBx
09-02-2006, 09:26 PM
I`ve never done drugs, to be 100% honest. I was raised in a crappy family situation, and kind`ve turned towards my friends for family. They just happened to basically all be straight-edge kids. And I grew up whole-heartedly supporting the whole drug-free sXe scene.

Now that things seem to be rough again for me, I enjoy detailing... lots of other things, too. But I can honestly say the pure focus I obtain when detailing, has gotten me through some emotional bullcrap.

BigAl3
09-02-2006, 11:59 PM
I`ve never done drugs, to be 100% honest.

same here (i knew it when i saw the X`s in your name ;) ). i`ve seen way too many people get screwed up by them, and it`s just a waste of time & money, imo. btw... i saw gorilla biscuits a few weeks ago! :chuckle:

abbeysdad
09-03-2006, 12:37 AM
More like a passion bordering on obsession.

For me it`s new car fever that I caught back in June. Usually it only lasts a few weeks or until the first scratch, but it`s got me good this time! Maybe cause I`m coming off three, three year lease deals (9 yrs.) and this one I actually bought.

There`s a satisfaction in keeping a new car new just as there is in renewing an ugly duckling and making it new again. It feels good when somebody gets in your car and comments on how beatiful it is.

Drugs are for losers, detailing, like gardening, is just good therapy ! lol

HondaGuy
09-03-2006, 04:07 AM
Never done illegal drugs either. Pointless. People who do it take the easy way out. My drug of choice... speed, its what I do when ever I need to get away. Probably just as dangerous though.

froll
09-03-2006, 04:39 AM
More like a passion bordering on obsession.

For me it`s new car fever that I caught back in June. Usually it only lasts a few weeks or until the first scratch, but it`s got me good this time! Maybe cause I`m coming off three, three year lease deals (9 yrs.) and this one I actually bought.

There`s a satisfaction in keeping a new car new just as there is in renewing an ugly duckling and making it new again. It feels good when somebody gets in your car and comments on how beatiful it is.

Drugs are for losers, detailing, like gardening, is just good therapy ! lol

I agree about the often time short lived fever. But this time, I`m 6 months in, and $$$$$$$ deep in detailing supplies which I never did before. If for no other reason than to avoid the wrath of my wife, I think I`m hooked on detailing. I find that a 4 hour Saturday morning wash and detail, fully armed with my Ipod has proved to be the best therapy I can get. No phones, no decisions and no pressures. And, a great looking shiny car to boot. I just love when I hear someone say, This is the cleanest car I`ve ever seen; or Does your car know what dust is? It has turned into a great hobby and a chance to "meet" nice people on these boards.

imported_Neothin
09-03-2006, 10:12 AM
what really sucks is when you go from home where electrical outlets, shade, and a hose are readily available to living in an apartment by school where nothing is available. Where you have to search franticly for a place to wash your car.

my poor addiction :(

abbeysdad
09-03-2006, 04:34 PM
what really sucks is when you go from home where electrical outlets, shade, and a hose are readily available to living in an apartment by school where nothing is available. Where you have to search franticly for a place to wash your car.

my poor addiction :(

You can get a "quick fix" down at the coin-op !

xTravBx
09-03-2006, 08:16 PM
Well, didn`t get to do my brothers Volvo today.

I guess it`s gonna be waiting.

I forgot I didn`t have the right pads. I`m still waiting on them in the mail, no local places sell them, as far as I know...

It sucks, too. I needed it. I`m like 90% sure my girl is cheating on me. And generally you don`t suspect that sort of junk, unless it really is happening. Oh well. I guess I shouldn`t younger chicks. It hurts, but what can you do? Once a cheater, always a cheater. I swear it.

AdrianStewart
09-03-2006, 08:31 PM
Well, didn`t get to do my brothers Volvo today.

I guess it`s gonna be waiting.

I forgot I didn`t have the right pads. I`m still waiting on them in the mail, no local places sell them, as far as I know...

It sucks, too. I needed it. I`m like 90% sure my girl is cheating on me. And generally you don`t suspect that sort of junk, unless it really is happening. Oh well. I guess I shouldn`t younger chicks. It hurts, but what can you do? Once a cheater, always a cheater. I swear it.

Here`s my take, wrap the rascal, protect yourself ... get it when you can and be a pig til she leaves, then find another one! Don`t marry her or get bent out of shape if this doesn`t work ... you`ll get a few good details in and soon enough the next chick will appear!

VWdriver
09-03-2006, 10:18 PM
Here`s my take, wrap the rascal, protect yourself ... get it when you can and be a pig til she leaves, then find another one! Don`t marry her or get bent out of shape if this doesn`t work ... you`ll get a few good details in and soon enough the next chick will appear!

I like this plan. :hifive:

petrong1186
09-08-2006, 06:07 PM
Hi all,

idk if i hold the recrd or not, but ive had "new car fever" for two an a half years now. i bought my car (2004 Black Mazda 3) back in May of `o4. there is something about detailing a new car that, as you guys said, is like a drug. Since ive returned to school for fall classes and had to leave my car behind, ive been trying to find a fix for my detailing habbit. this thread seems like a very useful tool for learning how to detail a car and give me that "detailing fix." just my thoughts on the subject.

-dp

ps im new to this forum, just want to say hi to all of you out there in cyber space.