PDA

View Full Version : Black Lexus Paint

RAG
09-02-2006, 09:34 AM
When I detailed this Lexus quite some time ago, I couldn`t figure out if it was tinted clear or single stage paint because I got a "moderate" amount of color on my pads. Subsequently there`s been a lot of speculation regarding black Lexus paint - though I don`t know which models/years is applies to, I can no say with confidence that they use a new kind of single stage paint...basically clear coat mixed with base coat. I think Toyota also uses this same SS paint, as I got the same result when detailing a black Highlander.

Trunk before (again, I had to sand some rust out]:

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/medium/lexustrunkbefore.jpg

Trunk after:

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/medium/lexustrunkafter.jpg

Rear fender before:

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/medium/lexusfenderbefore.jpg

Front fender after (this picture was actually taken before polishing, right after compounding with PG!):

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/medium/lexusfender2after.jpg

RAG
09-02-2006, 09:42 AM
On a positive note, I have not found this form of SS paint particularly difficult to finish down on halogram-free with a rotary...but man does the PC leave a haze of micromarring (I even tried PO85RD with various pads). Some SS paints can be miserably tough to finish down on halogram-free. Also, I bet one can safely remove more paint (like .5 mils or more) over the long haul without comprimising longevity.

Overall, I think I like this paint...though one must keep in mind that ALL black paint is painfull to maintain.

Bigpoppa3346
09-02-2006, 09:47 AM
Interesting thoughts on the base mixed with the clear. I spoke with a BMW salesperson and they say they mix their base with the clearcoat-clearly he was incorrect, because I have compounded/polished a few 06` black BMW`s and there was no color transfer. IMO Toyota/Lexus has really got their act together with their paint. Great work, paint looks really clear and defect free.

Driven-528e
09-02-2006, 09:51 AM
I had the exact same thing happen to me while buffing a black lexus SUV. It really was odd. Thanks for finding out more about it and nicely done with that car! Im impressed you finished PG down so well. I had trouble finding a combo that was aggressive enough that didnt leave bad holograms, on the lexus I did.

RAG
09-02-2006, 09:52 AM
Interesting thoughts on the base mixed with the clear. I spoke with a BMW salesperson and they say they mix their base with the clearcoat-clearly he was incorrect, because I have compounded/polished a few 06` black BMW`s and there was no color transfer. IMO Toyota/Lexus has really got their act together with their paint. Great work, paint looks really clear and defect free.

Yeah, everybody and their mother`s has a BMW here in SoCal and I`ve never once come across one with integrated clear; though many of the older white ones are/were standard SS paint.

RAG
09-02-2006, 09:59 AM
I had the exact same thing happen to me while buffing a black lexus SUV. It really was odd. Thanks for finding out more about it and nicely done with that car! Im impressed you finished PG down so well. I had trouble finding a combo that was aggressive enough that didnt leave bad holograms, on the lexus I did.

I ultimately finished with FPII after PG, but on the "after" side shot you see , the pic was taken before finishing off...in direct sun the halograms would have been present for sure. I used a "polishing" pad with PG...specifically the white LC VC which helps finish down a lot better than if one uses a cutting pad. In fact, on hard to get to spots, I actually had to hit it with FPII twice to completely removing the halograms left by PG, as even though PG finishes off very nicely, going from PG to FPII is a big leap on black paint. If I had to do it over again, I`d got PG/RMG, IP/RMG, them FPII (or PO106FF).

SpoiledMan
09-02-2006, 10:02 AM
When I detailed this Lexus quite some time ago, I couldn`t figure out if it was tinted clear or single stage paint because I got a "moderate" amount of color on my pads. Subsequently there`s been a lot of speculation regarding black Lexus paint - though I don`t know which models/years is applies to, I can no say with confidence that they use a new kind of single stage paint...basically clear coat mixed with base coat.

I was told by someone "knowledgeable" that it was tinted clear. After removing a deep scratch from my sisters `02 black IS, I can say with confidence that it is SS paint. This was a good test as she was going to repaint the panel if I couldn`t get it out so I could get as tough as I wanted with it. It came completely out and there`s no other evidence of the scratch other than the dent. SS paint for sure!

Envious Eric
09-02-2006, 12:36 PM
you know what on that prius I did, there was a lot of paint transfer from the pg/rmg mix and removing all the water spots and scratches....so I guess it was tinted clear

SDLexus
09-02-2006, 12:48 PM
The Lexus black being a ss base mixed with clear has been pretty much common knowledge within Lexus owner`s circles. The question always comes up though.

RAG
09-02-2006, 12:54 PM
you know what on that prius I did, there was a lot of paint transfer from the pg/rmg mix and removing all the water spots and scratches....so I guess it was tinted clear

I think that was actually integrated clear (a new form of SS paint). I`ll see, cause I`m detailing my first black Prius in about a week.

imported_mburnickas
09-02-2006, 01:32 PM
[quote name=`RAG`]When I detailed this Lexus quite some time ago, I couldn`t figure out if it was tinted clear or single stage paint because I got a "moderate" amount of color on my pads. Subsequently there`s been a lot of speculation regarding black Lexus paint - though I don`t know which models/years is applies to, I can no say with confidence that they use a new kind of single stage paint...basically clear coat mixed with base coat. I think Toyota also uses this same SS paint, as I got the same result when detailing a black Highlander.

Trunk before (again, I had to sand some rust out]:

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/medium/lexustrunkbefore.jpg

Looks like a free wash job from Lexus.

Driven-528e
09-02-2006, 02:33 PM
I ultimately finished with FPII after PG, but on the "after" side shot you see , the pic was taken before finishing off...in direct sun the halograms would have been present for sure. I used a "polishing" pad with PG...specifically the white LC VC which helps finish down a lot better than if one uses a cutting pad. In fact, on hard to get to spots, I actually had to hit it with FPII twice to completely removing the halograms left by PG, as even though PG finishes off very nicely, going from PG to FPII is a big leap on black paint. If I had to do it over again, I`d got PG/RMG, IP/RMG, them FPII (or PO106FF).

Thanks for the info! I wouldnt have thought to use the white pad for the heavy polishing step.

RAG
09-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the info! I wouldnt have thought to use the white pad for the heavy polishing step.

Yeah, I`m a big fan of using "polishing" pads for compounding...once the compound breaks down, it allow you to finish down quite nicely. On the other hand, with a rough cutting pad your are limited to how well you can finish down by the pad - even a final finish polish with a cutting pad usually leaves the surface pretty tore up. On the other hand, if you plan on performing a 3 or 4 step buffing process, then you mine as well get the extra cut from the pad...at which point I usually break out the lambswool.