PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up a lot of swirls

dmbfaninatsx
09-01-2006, 09:26 AM
So, i am going to visit my parents over this weekend, and i am going to detail my mom`s heavily swirled/light to medium scratched up toyota Sienna. I am thinking:

dawn wash

clay

DACP by PC (megs burgandy pad)

Having trouble deciding what to follow the DACP with

finishing w/ NXT or GC.

So... that being said, any suggestions on what would be the best proces, I am thinking #80, i have seen some good results in other posts. Last time i saw the sienna there were a lot of bugs and other road junk on the car, so i think it is going to be a rough job.

Accumulator
09-01-2006, 11:03 AM
So, i am going to visit my parents over this weekend, and i am going to detail my mom`s heavily swirled/light to medium scratched up toyota Sienna. I am thinking:

dawn wash

clay

DACP by PC (megs burgandy pad)

Having trouble deciding what to follow the DACP with

finishing w/ NXT or GC.

So... that being said, any suggestions on what would be the best proces, I am thinking #80, i have seen some good results in other posts...

I think it`s great that you`re gonna do the minivan for your mom :xyxthumbs

Using #80 after #83 is a time-tested combo that usually works well. Just watch for excessive marring from the burgundy pad, some people don`t have any trouble with it at all but so many others *do* have problems that Meguiar`s has quit recommending it for use with the PC. Follow it with the 8006/#80 combo and you oughta be OK, but be sure to work the #83 a good long time (though I wouldn`t go until it dusts the way some people do).

Any way you could pick up some Collinite for your LSP? It`d last a lot longer, which is a good thing on mom-mobiles.

dmbfaninatsx
09-01-2006, 08:26 PM
So i couldn`t get ahold #80, would the meguiars polishing system (the otc `3 step`) work to follow DACP? If not, any other suggestions for what to follow DACP with that i can get otc, i order some PB ssr1/2.5 and nb combo, but that doesn`t help for this weekend. Thanks!

Jason M
09-02-2006, 12:31 AM
Honestly, I would just follow with #83 and an 8006 pad and then go LSP. If you want some more shine you could go with the Deep Crystal polish (step #2) after the 8006/#83 passes.

Also, why are you going so aggressive on the pad side so quick? I would do a test spot with the 8006 pad and #83 first and see if you get the results you are looking for before going to the 7006 pad. Another idea to try if you get some marring with even the 8006 pad is finishing with a couple lighter pressure faster arm speed passes as the #83 breaks down. That tends to leave a liitle more shine to the paint. Let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out!

imported_Neothin
09-02-2006, 01:26 AM
the dacp and burgundy pad is really kind of overkill, even for pretty bad marring. do you have anything lighter?

dmbfaninatsx
09-02-2006, 08:17 AM
Yeah, after i thought about it, i think i am going to go with the lighter pad, not the burgandy, I have polishing and finishing pads, so i am going to try that first.

Accumulator
09-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Even with the 8006 I dunno if the #83 will finish out nicely enough to go to LSP. The Deep Crystal stuff won`t help as the DC#1 is too mildly abrasive to clear up any hazing from the #83 and the DC#2 is completely nonabrasive.

I`d try to use something other than the #83. I`d call local autobody/paint supply places, they`ll have something that`ll be a better choice for a one-step polish. My local places still have 3M PI-III RC 05933 and MG 05937 on the shelves. The PI-III MG 05937 might be a very good choice for this and even the RC 05933 finishes out a little better than #83 IMO.

dmbfaninatsx
09-02-2006, 11:57 AM
Even with the 8006 I dunno if the #83 will finish out nicely enough to go to LSP. The Deep Crystal stuff won`t help as the DC#1 is too mildly abrasive to clear up any hazing from the #83 and the DC#2 is completely nonabrasive.

I`d try to use something other than the #83. I`d call local autobody/paint supply places, they`ll have something that`ll be a better choice for a one-step polish. My local places still have 3M PI-III RC 05933 and MG 05937 on the shelves. The PI-III MG 05937 might be a very good choice for this and even the RC 05933 finishes out a little better than #83 IMO.

I am not really worried about time spent, so i would be willing to use more then one product, but other then #80, there aren`t too many otc products that will follow the 83 well?

Accumulator
09-03-2006, 11:56 AM
I am not really worried about time spent, so i would be willing to use more then one product, but other then #80, there aren`t too many otc products that will follow the 83 well?

Any product with a milder cut that finishes out well could follow the #83. I`d think of "OTC" to mean over the counter of an autobody/paint supply store :D That`s the only place I`d expect to find a decent selection and most any town will have a store like that.

I`d use 3M PI-III MG 05937, but I already have it on hand. My local autopaint shop has it on the shelf. But since it`s the middle of a holiday weekend...