PDA

View Full Version : Windex on paint

EricDawg
09-01-2006, 01:13 AM
So I had some bad water spots that nothing non-abrasive was removing (tried clay, cleaning waxes, etc. - ZPC worked but left haze). Told this guy at work with a dark blue Viper, to see if he had any ideas, and he said Windex. He said all the guys at the car shows use it. So I tried it and low and behold, it removed the water spots.

So tell me why I shouldn`t use it? It didn`t seem to harm the paint at all or leave any marks. If you have a good explenation on why ammonia is bad I would love to hear it.

Eliot Ness
09-01-2006, 01:33 AM
I`ve never seen Windex harm paint, but it will strip your LSP so make sure you apply some wax or sealer to protect your paint when finished.

My guess is the water spots were on your LSP and didn`t have a chance to etch into your paint, so by removing your LSP (with Windex) you got rid of the water spots.

I have seen (some, not very many) guys at shows cleaning their cars with Windex, and I usually cringe because a good QD would do much better w/o harming the LSP. These guys are also usually using an old bath towel instead of a good MF.

I`m glad you found something non-abrasive that worked out for you.

EricDawg
09-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Thanks so much for the reply. :2thumbs:

I`m gonna use it then to get rid of the rest of the water spots and PC and repolish the whole side. All those car products that didn`t work and Windex did. Never would have guessed.

velobard
09-01-2006, 01:22 PM
If it`s just a matter of removing the LSP to get rid of the water spots, try isopropyl alcohol. It should be cheaper and does the job.

EricDawg
09-01-2006, 03:47 PM
Funny you mention that, I was wondering the same thing. I`ll try that too.

Please tell me what LSP stands for? I checked the glossary and did a search, and I deduced that it means Polish (Liquid Sealant/Polish?).

imported_pdsterns
09-01-2006, 04:07 PM
Last step process. I have been using IPA for years and it will take care of lots of stubborn stuff, second choice is paint thinner. I would have suggested it to you but I thought we were in different territory. Lots of guys suggest WD40 but I have never actually tried it on paint.

BMWWW
09-01-2006, 04:09 PM
Funny you mention that, I was wondering the same thing. I`ll try that too.

Please tell me what LSP stands for? I checked the glossary and did a search, and I deduced that it means Polish (Liquid Sealant/Polish?).

Last step process ~ Last step product?

SVR
09-01-2006, 07:39 PM
Yes many window cleaners have ammonia and alcohol in them and thus will remove water spots

it`s streaky on paint, especially on a sunny day and I wouldn`t dare use it ever as it will dry the paint out eventually

My preffered water spot remover on friends cars is citra force mixed with vinegar

Won`t work on really bad spots but in most cases it does the trick

Though I only use that if absolutely neccessary

EricDawg
09-02-2006, 02:40 AM
What`s citra force? I tried 70/30 Vinegar/water and it did nothing.

I was thinking of just trying 3M SMR Perfect-It II on a white pad maybe. Or Menzerna Final Polish II with a white pad with the PC. Maybe that would take out the water spots? Clay seemed to make it worse. Smeared the water spots and left dotted haze. :nixweiss

If you followed Windex with polish and LSP would that still dry out the paint?

SVR
09-02-2006, 07:23 PM
It`s a strong cleaner made from oranges

www.lanotec.com.au