PDA

View Full Version : need experienced advice on cleaning lt1 engine bay

tinhead
08-31-2006, 07:56 PM
i have a 95 camaro, and i am trying to clean my engine. it`s not too dirty, but i would like to lightly hose it down after degreasing it. so the question is of course related to the opti spark. is it advisable or not to hose the bay down? don`t know if it makes a big difference but being a 95, the opti should be vented, right? any thing else besides the opti that is sensitive? wiping everything down by hand is starting to bug me, i`d rather hose it down like the rest of my cars if possible. thanks in advance.

Guy
08-31-2006, 08:50 PM
I use the pressure washer on my vehicles with no problems so far. I`ve done all 3 of my neighbors cars also, each one drove away. Just be careful what you are spraying and cover things you don`t want to get wet.

Five Star
09-01-2006, 12:48 AM
take a look here

http://autopia.org/forum/showpost.php?p=673043&postcount=13

Way2SSlow
09-01-2006, 09:10 AM
I`ve never had a problem with cleaning my LT1. Being that you`re working on an Fbody, you have a whole lot less room to work with than I do. I like to use a few brushes to scrub what I can. I dont use much pressure, as I said before I like to do most of my cleaning by scrubbing. I stuff a bunch of towels around the water pump to shield the optispark the best that I can. I`m not as anal about the engine as I used to be, but I do my best to keep it clean. Having a clean engine is nice, but having to change the opti again just isn`t worth it.....

Summary: Use brushes, not water pressure.

ZaneO
09-01-2006, 10:00 AM
take a look here

http://autopia.org/forum/showpost.php?p=673043&postcount=13

It is very important to be mindful of the Opti Spark, and carelessness will cause damage, but it certainly doesn`t cost $1500 to replace.

tinhead - I cover the PCM, alternator, and fuse box before wetting anything down. After that, I`m just very careful about not soaking any one area of the engine bay. When you`re done cleaning, immediately start the motor and let it run for about 10-15 minutes with the hood shut.