PDA

View Full Version : Pretty cool trick I thought of.

Pages : [1] 2

autoprincess
08-30-2006, 01:52 PM
Had a `97 Toyota Land Cruiser come in the other day, and the paint was bascially shot. One of my guys buffed the car and did all the necessary steps up to that point, but after he had washed the car the paint was dull again, a little better then originally. My guy knows how to buff so it wasn`t that. Rather than taking a bunch of extra steps with light duty compound and the such, I decided to leave it in the shop for basically 12-24 hours with some Mequiar`s Gold Carnuba Cleaner Paste wax sitting on the paint (without removing till morning). Figured we would let the wax sit and let the paint soak up as much as possible.

Next morning came and we removed the wax and :wow:! The paint popped back the way we intended it to. We did a little water test and the water beeded right up.

(I think I should become a Mequiar`s salesperson).

01bluecls
08-30-2006, 01:55 PM
I have had this problem with older paint single stage after I buff it, it looks freaking amazing, but I can see constant waxing is necessary to keep the paint looking like that. It seems that single stage paint like to oxidize very quickly! I tell owners of cars that I buff that are single stage paint to keep waxing there car at least every 3-4 weeks!

autoprincess
08-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Very good advice, I agree completely, just a matter if they do it or not. The wax has to protect the paint, because we all know that single stage has absolutely no protection by itself.

abbeysdad
08-30-2006, 02:02 PM
How does a polymer LSP work over an older single stage?

autoprincess
08-30-2006, 02:13 PM
To be honest, not sure what a Polymer LSP is, so sorry if no help with your question. A little new with the Lengo around here what is LSP, that might help.

CelicaLover
08-30-2006, 02:17 PM
lsp= last step product

abbeysdad
08-30-2006, 02:23 PM
I was just wondering if a polymer sealant (last step product) might be better for old single stage paint than carnuba.

autoprincess
08-30-2006, 02:46 PM
Thanks for informing me on the LSP. I use carnauba, I have also used Molecular Sealant, but it doesn`t work like the carnauba. So to answer your question I am not sure if the Polymer sealant is better or worse, I don`t really use it.

wannafbody
08-30-2006, 06:54 PM
products with oils tend to enrich SS paints-an old trick was to use kerosene

01bluecls
08-31-2006, 01:59 AM
products with oils tend to enrich SS paints-an old trick was to use kerosene

Traditional waxes will be better for SS finish as fbody said...haha but I wouldnt recommend the kerosene part! :)

FidoAUTO
08-31-2006, 08:22 AM
Thanks for informing me on the LSP. I use carnauba, I have also used Molecular Sealant, but it doesn`t work like the carnauba. So to answer your question I am not sure if the Polymer sealant is better or worse, I don`t really use it.

what do you mean by saying it "doesn`t work like a carnuba", do you mean in looks...application....durability...????

this backs up my preconception that most detailing shops dont know anything about the latest products and procedures, they figured that if it worked 10-15-20 years ago, it still works now.... well... it may!! just not as good as it can .... autoprecise at least is trying to educate himself here so I give him props for that.... but for a detailer not to know what a Polymer Sealant is, or only use Carnuba`s on cars that are obviously not show cars.... that is just not acceptable, and the reason??

1)On any `street` vehicle ANY Carnuba will not last longer on the paint the 3-6 weeks MAX!!

obviously I`m talking about a daily driven vehicle that is regularly exposed to the elements.

autoprincess
08-31-2006, 08:35 AM
Yes, I run a detailing shop with 6 employees.

FidoAUTO
08-31-2006, 08:35 AM
edited my post... look again.. sorry

awahl63
08-31-2006, 08:42 AM
edited my post... look again.. sorry

You`re post came off rather strong and I do agree with you; however, have you tried collinite insulator wax? I found the durability to be great for a carnauba...

autoprincess
08-31-2006, 08:43 AM
I was referring to the Molecular Sealant not working like Carnauba. But your right about educating, I try to keep up with the latest, but I use what gives me the professional result (old or new, don`t care about age of the concept). But if I come accross something that surpasses quality of my old way of doing something then that is the new process I adopt.