PDA

View Full Version : Currently working on a corvette

Vw Gti
08-30-2006, 01:28 PM
I got a black corvette in my garage right now and i am waiting on some Pads for fiberglass parts. The car is in rough shape and has swirl marks that are pretty bad. I aint gonna remove the swirl marks but i do need to try to remove the water etching on the hood and the trunk area. I just finished claying it and waiting on the pads.

Here is my process

Wash->clay->polish hood->polish trunk-> Wolfgang glaze??????!?!?-> FMJ 2 coats (wait overnight) -> Pinnacle Souveran 2 coats

What my question is, should i use the glaze? He doesnt want me to polish the whole car and i hate to see it come in with swirls and leave with swirls. If i apply the glaze and apply the FMJ and wait for the FMJ to dry for about 2 hours, do you think it would be good or just smear? Anyone ever try wolfgang glaze under FMJ?

Thanks for the info.

audicoupej
08-30-2006, 01:35 PM
The FMJ definitely needs more than 2 hours to fully cure. It is always much slicker the next day. It can be buffed off almost instantly, but the curing means nothing on top, including another coat. You do not apply it and let it sit over night before buffing.

Menzerna makes FTG (Finishing touch glaze) that works under FMJ. Perhaps the glaze you have will work as well. Worse thing is the FMJ won`t bond, meaning it won`t last long, which could (I am not sure) make the Pinnacle last even less than normal.

If you are worried then just use the glaze and pinnacle. It will look awesome, just not last more than 2 months unless it is garaged and not driven much.

imported_Grouse
08-30-2006, 01:41 PM
I would

wash,

clay,

compound

polish,

glaze

seal

wait 12 hours (overnight)

buff sealant off

seal again

work on the rest of the car, toss in interior work or somehting to eat up time, wheels metal polish.. what ever. chew up about 6 hours.

buff off 2nd coat of sealant.

fist coat of wax

then use cold water spitshine for the 2nd coat.

Vw Gti
08-30-2006, 01:49 PM
I know FMJ needs more than 2 hours to cure, but i let it dry for a few hours and then wait overnight until i put another coat on. Anyone know if corvette clear ir hard or soft? I cant polish or compound it cause we didnt talk about it and i dont have all the time in the world to do it since i have school tommorow. I have this car for a few days but i already told him the price and what i was gonna do.

Bigpoppa3346
08-30-2006, 02:08 PM
Corvette clear is one of the hardest there is.