PDA

View Full Version : And the Autopians nearly got me commited!

Pages : [1] 2

abbeysdad
08-29-2006, 09:31 PM
I`d been leasing vehicles for several years (3-3yr lease deals) and then bought a `new` one and caught the new car fever back in June and it hasn`t broken. I found my way here for therapy because misery loves company.

The electric B&D leaf blower hangs in the end of the garage always at the ready to `sweep` the driveway. After ready posts here, I thought, hey, I`ll give the SUV a blow dry after the wash, before I finish with a wipe down.

Well, I live on a somewhat busy country road and I couldn`t help but look up as some cars came up the hill to see a very surprised look on the faces of some folks riding shotgun. I`m guessing it`s not too often they see a fella blowing off his car.

Now I have to say the blower does a good job of removing a lot of the water making the final wipe much faster. I wouldn`t buy a leaf blower just for this purpose, but if like me, you already have one, it`s another detailing tool.

andyman
08-30-2006, 09:34 AM
Yeah, I`ve been doing that for a while, it works great. When I finish a wash, I usually just grab my gas blower and dry the wheels, tires, and lower half of the vehicle. I can then ww dry the rest of the vehicle.

Keeps the wheels from spotting, keeps from dirtying a towel to dry tires, and keeps me from bending over and I get the whole car/truck dry.

Neo62381
08-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Funny, I just got in from a wash and using my blower less than 3 mins ago!

mikebai1990
08-30-2006, 10:52 AM
Yup, using a blower is definitely the best, quickest, and safest way to dry a car. It won`t cause any marring and will dry the water quickly before the dreaded water spots form. But I don`t have one :(

armoredsaint
08-30-2006, 03:17 PM
I have the B&D cordless blower and it is awesome for the areas around the grill, lights, outside mirrors and wheels!

abbeysdad
08-30-2006, 03:36 PM
Hmm...and it just hit me (partly from another thread about vaccum/blowers) that if the air temp is warm, the leaf blower might even make a good dryer for shampoo`d carpet.

(shampoo`d my wife`s carpet last Saturday and it was still wet on monday - although it was cooler and we had rain).

Sorry, rambling on.

mikebai1990
08-30-2006, 05:03 PM
For carpet, you may want to invest in a wet-dry vac. You won`t be battling the weather and taking the chance of molded carpets. :) A wet vac will suck the water right out. And I don`t have a wet-dry vac either :(

imported_Neothin
08-31-2006, 11:51 AM
i got my 6.5 horsepower rigid for under $100 bucks. with it`s detachable 265 mph blower, the thing is a godsend!

i love my wet/dry vac. I don`t know how i detailed without it :D

NickcZ28
08-31-2006, 12:45 PM
I`ve been using my leaf blower for a few years now. It is simply the easiest way to dry your vehicle. I must admit though, I have received some odd glances from the neighbors!

BigAl3
08-31-2006, 01:11 PM
i don`t find and use a leaflblower as a total drying tool (can get water spots easy). i mainly use it for the nooks and crannies (air vents, window & rubber seals, side mirrors, in & around emblems, tires & wheels, etc) and anywhere else where water tends to hide. oh... and for the lawn too! :chuckle:

maxpower
08-31-2006, 03:22 PM
i don`t find and use a leaflblower as a total drying tool (can get water spots easy). i mainly use it for the nooks and crannies (air vents, window & rubber seals, side mirrors, in & around emblems, tires & wheels, etc) and anywhere else where water tends to hide. oh... and for the lawn too! :chuckle:

same here, I use it around the tail lights, gas cap, wheels, etc that hold water and will `leak` after you have finished your normal drying. I use a WW to dry the rest of the car

BanditSRT
08-31-2006, 03:46 PM
I bought a leaf blower just for the purpose of drying my car. I`ve been using it for almost two years now and LOVE it! Since I wash my car either early in the morning or at sundown, I don`t usually get much if any spotting. I usually finish up with a QD like z-6 anyway.

abbeysdad
09-01-2006, 07:10 AM
For carpet, you may want to invest in a wet-dry vac. You won`t be battling the weather and taking the chance of molded carpets. :) A wet vac will suck the water right out. And I don`t have a wet-dry vac either :(

I do use a wet/dry shop vac for carpet, but it`s still real damp after. Not an issue if it`s a warm day, but when it`s cool or rainy (Northeast !) it`s takes forever to totally dry. Perhaps not practical, I was just thinking the blower would get the air moving around and hasten drying of the damp carpet. Maybe the vac hose will hook to the vaccum exhaust for that purpose.

I know a hair dryer/blower would work, but I`m trying to minimize `extra` car care stuff.

nick49bear
09-01-2006, 07:45 AM
If you have a wet/dry vac, hook the hose to the exhaust port and then you can use it as a dryer.

I use the wide pick up attachment on the end of the hose to widen the air distribution.

If you have a car, you need a vac and why not a wet/dry. Not everyone needs a leaf blower

:getdown :getdown :getdown

abbeysdad
09-01-2006, 08:21 AM
If you have a wet/dry vac, hook the hose to the exhaust port and then you can use it as a dryer.

I use the wide pick up attachment on the end of the hose to widen the air distribution.

If you have a car, you need a vac and why not a wet/dry. Not everyone needs a leaf blower

:getdown :getdown :getdown

My point was more in using something already available to accomplish the task. Niether the leaf blower nor the wet/dry vaccum are really effective dryers... and although off topic, I can think of many appartment dwellers with carpet vaccums that probably wouldn`t have a wet/dry vaccum.