PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Prices & Inflation

imported_mirrorfinishman
08-29-2006, 07:42 AM
As detailing business owners, have we increased our detailing prices enough to keep pace with inflation?

Let`s face it, the cost of doing business constantly rises every year. Of course, the prices you charge for detailing should also be rising along with these costs. This is especially true when you consider how important it is to continue to make a reasonable profit just to stay in business.

Looking back, it would be interesting to see just how are prices are doing compared to the average rate of inflation.

1) What year did you start your detailing business?

2) What was your price for detailing an average size car during your first year in business?

3) What is your price for detailing an average size car in 2006?

PhaRO
08-29-2006, 12:28 PM
I do almost only washing and light detailing (express, maintenence). I`ve always charged a fixed price based on vehicle type. Over the years I`ve gone from 2 price points to 3 and now back to 2. I only price different for certain vehicles (Hummers, Full size vans) or detailing that isn`t covered by what I do in a package. Not sure how I compare with inflation.

1990 (2 levels)

Wash N Vac $7.50 and $10

Wash N Wax $25 and $30

Wash, Wax N Shampoo $45 and $50

I raised prices early on a few times but from about 1999-2006 these were my prices (3 levels)

Wash N Vac $20, $25 & $30

Wash N Wax $45, $60 & $75

Wash, Wax N Shampoo $85, $100 & $115

In 2006 I did away with the first level and now have 2

Wash N Vac $25 & $30

Wash N Wax $60 & $75

Wash, Wax N Shampoo $100 & $115

For the most part I don`t take new business now and almost only do weekly biweekly washes. I`ve have considered raising my prices for new customers but to date haven`t.

Superior Shine
08-29-2006, 12:39 PM
I started in the late 80s. We washed cars for $15 then. I now charge $45+ for a car wash.

We did full details for small dealerships for $45 (I could do three a day, man I thought that was big money back then!!)

Retail was about $120 for a full detail.

We no longer detail for dealerships and my average ticket for a complete inside and out detail is about $275 - $350. Some of our work on exotics and /or show cars can get as high as $1200-$1500.

imported_mirrorfinishman
08-29-2006, 01:06 PM
When I started my own detailing business back in 1986, my price for a complete detailing of an average size car was only $70.

In 2006, my price for a complete detailing of an average size car is $229.

jimmybuffit
08-29-2006, 07:01 PM
What a timely thread, for me at least.

I spent most of the day (while working) considering how I can generate a 20% increase in NET profit in the next fiscal period.

We are doing quite well. Word of mouth is excellent. Our volume has increased at least 30% each of our four years.

Frankly, I think the current growth will begin to slow... Heck, we have to peak somewhere...

I`ll work on better productivity/efficiency, but I`ll still need to raise our prices.

I`d love to hear from folks in the Midwest about pricing Complete Details for cars like this:

GMC Yukon Denali XL

Lexus 330 SUV

Toyota Camry

Honda Odessey

Thanks in advance!

Jim

imported_Shaun Carollo
08-29-2006, 10:43 PM
I consider myself to produce some of the best detail work in our county. We have came a long way in the last two years and that is nothing compared to what we have in the works for next year. I only see 6 cars a week MAX, usually 1-2, sometimes 0 two weeks in a row if I am lazy. Keep in mind I`m still a kid and still like being a kid over summer, even though that is supposed to be our busy season. We haven`t experimented with a lot of advertising yet, other then flyers, newspapers, website, WOM, and just going out and talking to people.

Currently we charge $180 for a basic one step polish detail with a paint sealant, clay bar, and leather conditoning included as well. We charge $190-200 on an SUV/van with the same treatment. Next year I hope to expand with a heavy blanketing of advertising in the higher class suburbs during March, April, June, and July (which I missed this year, see post titled ALWAYS WATCH YOUR BACK.) I also plan to upgrade from detailing out of my Acura RSX and into a caddy escalade, trailer and all. This hopefully will change our perception as a couple of teenagers with vaccuums and polishers to serious professionals. I am also hoping that this will allow us to become so busy we turn away work, and also raise our prices at least $15-$25.

As for other shops pricing in our area, it is about the same as ours, without a paint sealant ( in Michigan mind you,) leather conditoning, and 90% without claying the vehicle. They also are the hackers turning out the hologram specials for free. Hope this helps.

Shaun

EDIT - Started 2 years ago, charges $100 "complete detail." Needless to say we didn`t do what you would call professional work but the kid down the street type thing.

beachy
08-29-2006, 11:18 PM
I use an `01 Grand Cherokee Limited, which maybe has enough of a successful image to aid in my sales. It cost me about $17k last Fall to purchase, in case you wanted something a lot less expensive for the payments and for the insurance than an Escalade. Keep in mind you also would be more likely to look like a drug dealer in a caddy, than a pro IMHO, especially being so young. Or it could look like you`re a momma`s boy from a rich neighborhood (read lazy). Just playing devil`s advocate, maybe I`m not so accurate.

My charges start at $160 for a full int/ext detail. I hardly ever do anything for that price, because I try to upsell all the time. Throw in shampoo ($80 value) for an extra $40 for example, or do headlight resto for an addt`l $30. Each one is about 30 min of work, and I get a rate of about $60-$80/hr for the time spent doing the extras. It adds value to my business overall as well, I think, as I am attempting to set mine apart from others through added value (never lower price), and greater capabilities than most of my competition. I charge $30 min. for washes, which I think encourages regular biz (also increases the chance to upsell.)

I reduce the prices of add-ons to try to increase the bottom line, but never lower the basic service price. Hey, I`m already there with my equipment ready to go, may as well use those items!

imported_Shaun Carollo
08-30-2006, 09:42 AM
While I agree with your statements about looking like a rich boy or a drug dealer, I don`t think with a bunch of vinyl on the trailer and truck they will think that. At least I hope they don`t. I also agree with your upselling to increase the bottom line. I definitly have to work on upselling a lot more next year than I did this year. Beachy are your prices standard for your area?

imported_mirrorfinishman
08-30-2006, 10:10 AM
When you reply, please be sure to include the first year you started your detailing business, along with the price you charged that first year and your current 2006 price. Thanks.

Scottwax
08-30-2006, 06:50 PM
I first started part time in 1992 and the first car I detailed was a faded red Nissan Sentra. I charged her $35 because I really had no idea what to charge but after finishing it, I knew it wasn`t enough. By the time I went full time in 1994, I was charging $60 to detail a car, $75-100 for trucks and SUVs. I thought the way to attract customers was with a low price. I was wrong! All I was attracting were bargain shoppers with crappy cars and trucks. On the advice of several customers around 1997, I raised my prices to $80-100 for car and $100-135 for trucks and SUVs. Slowly been raising them ever since, mostly because I didn`t want to shock long term customers with a huge price increase over a short time period, although new customers got a higher price right away.

My lowest price for a full detail is $110 and that would be for a Miata that is in decent chape-mostly because I can knock one out in a couple of hours. Most cars start at $125-140, trucks and SUVs from $150-225 and that is for a vehicle that only needs one polishing step and no heavy interior cleaning. Most full sized SUVs end up in the $250+ range. Boats, I started off at $4 per foot, now it is $12-20 per foot depending on how bad the interior is and the number of polishing steps.

Being in the Dallas area, there is a lot of downward price pressure due to competition, but I have found that putting out good work means you can command a price in the upper level of detailers in the area. Any of you who saw the detailing price survey in Professional Car Washing and Detailing earlier this year probably noticed the south and southeast have the lowest average prices for detailing. You have to work within your market but it is better to be at the upper end than in the middle to bottom, especially if you feel your work commands a premium price.

David Fermani
08-30-2006, 09:28 PM
Back in 1990, the going rate for our area(Metro Detroit) was ~ $110-120 for a retail complete detail and $55-60 for a wholesale dealership detail. Now we get $180-225 (retail) and $90-95 (wholesale). Prices have almost doubled. Dealerships are having a hard time paying triple digits for detailing. We`re trying, but the competition is about 15-20% less.

David Fermani
08-30-2006, 09:36 PM
I consider myself to produce some of the best detail work in our county. We have came a long way in the last two years. Started 2 years ago, charges $100 "complete detail." Needless to say we didn`t do what you would call professional work but the kid down the street type thing.

Since breaking into the detail business 2 years ago, you`ve come a long way. :funnypost

tustah
08-30-2006, 10:00 PM
Being in the Dallas area, there is a lot of downward price pressure due to competition, but I have found that putting out good work means you can command a price in the upper level of detailers in the area. Any of you who saw the detailing price survey in Professional Car Washing and Detailing earlier this year probably noticed the south and southeast have the lowest average prices for detailing. You have to work within your market but it is better to be at the upper end than in the middle to bottom, especially if you feel your work commands a premium price.

I totally agree with the low prices here. Most of the details I do now are those that want to sell their car, and need a quick fix. The only tips I`ve received are from the few that wanted to maintain their car. Not to mention the obnoxious used car salesmen that continuously try to bargain down prices. I told this one man that I would get started on the truck and he says "Make sure you wash my BMW too" and walks away as if it was the end of the discussion. He wanted me to detail more vehicles that were coming in, but I declined because he was just too rude and wanted to pay $60 for each car.

My general prices for small cars:

Wash: $20

Clay: $40+

1 Step Polish: $40

2 Step Polish: $75

3 Step Polish: $100

Prime: $20

Sealant/Wax: $20

Additional layer: $10

Interior: quoted

Most of the cars I`ve done have averaged $120. It`s hard to do business in Houston. There are so many car wash places all around town. I`ve seen $7, $5, and even $2 washes.

I was thinking about creating a 1 step package priced at $150 (just exterior), but I feel that I won`t be receiving much business if I do.

I have a really bad habit of leaving my camera at home since I always worry about whether I forgot anything.

beachy
08-30-2006, 10:52 PM
When you reply, please be sure to include the first year you started your detailing business, along with the price you charged that first year and your current 2006 price. Thanks.

Sorry, I got carried away. Got a recent rush of customers and feeling good about it. I just started my biz last May. I worked for BMW and Mazda in 94-95, and have done it for myself and family ever since. When I lived in SoCal ten years ago, I remember that a full detail was about $100. Can`t say much else about how it was back then, but it seems like SoCal is one of the best places to detail even now.

Not sure exactly how the lifestyle works out with a good biz, in CA compared to San Antonio, but the weather is almost as cooperative as in CA.