PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys pay for insurance

Pages : [1] 2

imported_wagsjr
08-27-2006, 09:26 PM
IF you dont mind me asking. I guess my homeowners policy would be the way to go. Right now I am strictly cash and under the table. There is days I do 3 a week and weeks I dont do any. Will I have to be by the books then. I remember when I first started(new with rotary) and ripped an antenna right off. Thankfully the customer said "I`m selling it anyway." He liked the rest of the detail though.

imported_paradigm
08-27-2006, 09:48 PM
your homeowners policy will not cover it...or i highly doubt it would. they would investigate and unless your customer stuck to a "yeah...he was a friend and doing it for me for free" kind of thing, they would pass on payment. if any sign of money transfering hands was found, they would be free of responsibility.

*i have State Farm and asked recently...they said i need a separate policy to cover this type of side work...my balloon policy would also NOT cover it.

I.A.S.
08-27-2006, 11:23 PM
u need to find an inusrance company that has a garage keepers (i think that what its called) policy......homeowners will not cover anything that happens to a customers car...

imported_Grouse
08-28-2006, 12:28 PM
^^^ what he said. and my policy is about 3200 a year.

Pittssteelers
08-28-2006, 04:36 PM
About 3,000 a year.

imported_wagsjr
08-28-2006, 08:28 PM
No I meant go with the same company. They offer everything

AMDin93103
08-28-2006, 11:12 PM
Shop around and go with whoever gives you the proper coverage at the most reasonable price. I was paying around $2500 (IIRC, my first year) but my broker landed me more comprehensive coverages this year with SafeCo for around $1400. Drastic drop but it`s supposed to go down liek 10-15% every year for the first couple when you are new. . . with no claims OC.

HTH.

imported_wagsjr
08-29-2006, 11:54 PM
I just need to cover customer cars. I think my auto insurance would cover if I smashed one god forbid. But just to be covered in case I would damage in the process of detailing. I dont need coverage for the shop area. I have a few garages I use that are family etc.

beachy
08-30-2006, 12:07 AM
I doubt that your car insurance would cover that. Whenever money changes hands, everything suddenly gets very complicated. For instance, this semester one of my classes is business law 1, and then I will have bus law 2 later on. Trust me, there are lots of things to know.

AMDin93103
08-30-2006, 09:08 AM
But just to be covered in case I would damage in the process of detailing. I dont need coverage for the shop area. I have a few garages I use that are family etc.

Thats what a Garagekeepers policy covers. It`s not like a buffet at Vegas where you can pick and choose what you cover. You can adjust your premiums for certain scenarios but a GK policy covers everything from someone slipping in your puddle to you burning through an exotic. At this point I think it`s in your best interest to call either an insurance broker or agent to explore your options specifically.

wicho661
08-30-2006, 05:42 PM
Heres my advice.

Cover your arse by preventing liability issues. Set up warning cones around your work area, try to not leave too many hoses and other "dangerous" equipment laying around. It only takes one Darwin Awardee to have a lawsuit so far up your rear end that you can be thrown into bankruptcy. Contact your local insurance providers and see what type of coverage they offer. Garage Keepers Liability is considered an ancient practice. New policies can help you cut costs and prevent a damaged Ferrari from ruining your practice. Consider what options you DONT have without inurance.

I personally have a very large policy. It is a smart thing to have in the litigation capital of the world, California.

Anyway, good luck.

imported_wagsjr
08-30-2006, 06:02 PM
My agent is getting something together for me now. Thanks for the input. I might only 5-6k a year off this stuff. I would hate to give 1/2 to insurance. It is a part time gig.

Envious Eric
08-30-2006, 10:06 PM
My agent is getting something together for me now. Thanks for the input. I might only 5-6k a year off this stuff. I would hate to give 1/2 to insurance. It is a part time gig.

which is why some dont feel the need for insurance....you are not working this hard just to pay for insurance you may never use....where is the profit in that?? but if you are detailing planes, buses, exotics, you are probably making a lot more and 3K seems like nothing when you are taking in 100K a year.....

imported_wagsjr
08-30-2006, 10:28 PM
Have a good full time job but I like detailing. It will be my main gig when I retire in 18 years, considering I will have a full pension and benefits for life. I am focused on slowly building a customer base and name for myself.

jdhutchin
08-30-2006, 11:23 PM
If you`re not doing it full-time, I`d bet you could get insurance for less. You`d have to talk to an insurance broker and find out though.