PDA

View Full Version : Am I Expecting Too Much From Detailing?

Pages : [1] 2

marks70
08-27-2006, 01:45 PM
About a year ago I brought my previous Jet Black 330Ci to a highly recommended detailer to remove swirls and scratches. He claimed to specialize in black cars. The guy spent 3 hours on my car, and after I got it back, it looked no better than when I brought it in. In fact, some areas looked worse, especially where he tried his wet sanding technique.

Fast forward to yesterday. My "new" Mystic Blue 2005 330Ci had a good amount of swirls/scratches on the right hand side where the car had been repainted. I found someone on this board to attempt to tackle the job. He came out, looked at the swirls/scratches, said he could get them out using his PC, and two hours later I was still looking at a car with swirls and scratches. As before, some areas looked even worse, having a whitish haze look to it, which I think is a result of a lot of fine scratches somehow introduced by his PC.

So here is my big question: Is it even possible to get your paint to a state that if I get up close to it that I should not see any swirls or scratches, or at least a vast majority of them? Do I keep picking the wrong people for the job, or am I just expecting too much?

mattz
08-27-2006, 01:49 PM
I`m sure it`s like any other job, you`ll have people who aren`t good at it, somewhat good at it, and people who do supurb jobs. I think you`ve yet to find the latter, obviously.

imported_Picus
08-27-2006, 01:53 PM
Where are you located? There are a number of detailers on this board that do top notch work. Unfortunately it seems you`ve not yet met one of them. Don`t get too soured on detailers; like any profession some are definitely better than others.

wannafbody
08-27-2006, 02:10 PM
swirls are very minor and should be able to be removed. Spiderwebbing and scratches might be too deep to be fully removed. make sure your expectations aren`t unrealistic.

xTravBx
08-27-2006, 02:27 PM
pictures...?

David Fermani
08-27-2006, 02:33 PM
About a year ago I brought my previous Jet Black 330Ci to a highly recommended detailer to remove swirls and scratches. He claimed to specialize in black cars. The guy spent 3 hours on my car, and after I got it back, it looked no better than when I brought it in. In fact, some areas looked worse, especially where he tried his wet sanding technique.

Fast forward to yesterday. My "new" Mystic Blue 2005 330Ci had a good amount of swirls/scratches on the right hand side where the car had been repainted. I found someone on this board to attempt to tackle the job. He came out, looked at the swirls/scratches, said he could get them out using his PC, and two hours later I was still looking at a car with swirls and scratches. As before, some areas looked even worse, having a whitish haze look to it, which I think is a result of a lot of fine scratches somehow introduced by his PC.

So here is my big question: Is it even possible to get your paint to a state that if I get up close to it that I should not see any swirls or scratches, or at least a vast majority of them? Do I keep picking the wrong people for the job, or am I just expecting too much?

Here`s my input: The 1st person spent 3 hours wet sanding and detailing the exterior of your black car?? The 2nd person(Autopian) spent 2 hours buffing out the blue car with a PC?? It really sounds like the people you`re sending your cars to don`t know what their doing and have no business touching them in the 1st place. I think you should find a detailer(one that`s proficient with a rotary) and have them repair 1 section/panel on your car. Wash the car a few times and evaluate the quality. That will help you make your decision to go forward with that person or not. In my opinion(from experience) it`s easier, quicker and better to remove swirls with a rotary. Especially if cause of the damage is rotary induced(because the swirls were caused from the body shop who painted it and mostly every body shop uses a rotary when polishing). :waxing: PC`s most likely won`t cut it. You might also want to take the car back to the body shop for their evaluation/explanation(not repair). In addition, it sounds like you have continuously battled swirls(both cars) and it might be also caused from improper washing techniques. Get the car fixed and keep it up properly.

Brian_Brice
08-27-2006, 03:04 PM
Where are you located? There are a number of detailers on this board that do top notch work. Unfortunately it seems you`ve not yet met one of them. Don`t get too soured on detailers; like any profession some are definitely better than others.

agreed but id like a fine line drawn somewhere that distinguishes between a detailer and a swirl inducing car washer guy. theres a sign on this pos building down the road from me that says detailers. they are not detailers imo, they wouldnt have to live up to my standards to be a detailer but at least have common knowledge of techniques and tools/products. i see em all day every day using that big beach towel for drying, zymol cleaner wax is their go-to 100 dollar package. most i see them squirting e1 nanowax, what bs you take your car to get waxed and for 70-100 bucks you get nanowax? i think there are qd`s that provide better protection. id be a rich man if i robbed people the way these so called "detailers" do. from the jobs they have sitting on thier lot i would make 100 and hour easily and they would probably look better than thiers do.

i think we need to rally the troups and put our coins in and educate the world on proper detailing techniques and procedures. lets get an ad campaign going to expose such lots for what they are so that at least the american/canadian or wherever you live consumer is properly schooled on what they are paying for. if we take one percent of the business these ratnests do it would be worth it

WHO`S WITH ME :spot :getdown :getdown :getdown :spot

ok how much is it to run a five minutes spot during the superbowl?

marks70
08-27-2006, 03:31 PM
Here`s my input: The 1st person spent 3 hours wet sanding and detailing the exterior of your black car?? The 2nd person(Autopian) spent 2 hours buffing out the blue car with a PC?? It really sounds like the people you`re sending your cars to don`t know what their doing and have no business touching them in the 1st place. I think you should find a detailer(one that`s proficient with a rotary) and have them repair 1 section/panel on your car. Wash the car a few times and evaluate the quality. That will help you make your decision to go forward with that person or not. In my opinion(from experience) it`s easier, quicker and better to remove swirls with a rotary. Especially if cause of the damage is rotary induced(because the swirls were caused from the body shop who painted it and mostly every body shop uses a rotary when polishing). :waxing: PC`s most likely won`t cut it. You might also want to take the car back to the body shop for their evaluation/explanation(not repair). In addition, it sounds like you have continuously battled swirls(both cars) and it might be also caused from improper washing techniques. Get the car fixed and keep it up properly.

Well, I bought both cars used, so I was/am trying to fix problems caused by other people before I owned it. I was trying to do exactly what you suggested - get it fixed right and then keep it up myself. The problem is I can`t get step 1 accomplished.

I can`t get any good pictures with my digital camera, so I can`t show you the issue. In trying to take pictures, I just found some significant fine scratching in the wheel well arch, which wasn`t there before. :furious: Is there any possibility that he burned through a good portion of clear coat with a PC?

So I`m at a loss for what to do at this point. I`ve tried posting on this board looking for an Autopian to do some work on my car, and this is how I found the last guy. :(

Brian_Brice
08-27-2006, 03:42 PM
you pay for the airfare wherever you are and ill do it for my regular price:)

imported_Denzil
08-27-2006, 03:52 PM
It`s pretty difficult to burn through a clear coat with a PC.

David Fermani
08-27-2006, 03:59 PM
It`s pretty difficult to burn through a clear coat with a PC.

Is it even possible?? Even with the heaviest compound. I imagine anything`s possible.

imported_Picus
08-27-2006, 04:04 PM
I can see it happening on already thinning CC, maybe on a corner or body line using a cutting pad and something like SSR3/PG; but you would almost have to *try* to do it.

jdhutchin
08-27-2006, 04:37 PM
The whitish haze is probably just marring left by the polish he used with the pc, sounds like he needed another polishing step. In my opinion, you`re never expecting too much from a professional detail- you`re paying for it to be perfect. I would also be curious to know how much you paid for the two details- for a $70 detail, I may not expect all the swirls out, but for a $300 detail, I would.

Todd@RUPES
08-27-2006, 05:05 PM
2005 Corvette.

Before

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m194/tropicaldetail/100_00511.jpg

After

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m194/tropicaldetail/100_00611.jpg

As you can see its not perfect, but 99 percent better...

Sun

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m194/tropicaldetail/100_00581.jpg

cdmc
08-27-2006, 05:09 PM
I can`t comment on your cars, as I haven`t seen them. I can relay my experience over the past 15 years. I do my own detailing, not because I enjoy it, but because I have a major problem handing over $200-300 for a job that is not as good as what I do. I have over the past 8 years been to 3 different detailers that were recommended as being "the best in the area", all that charged me $250+ for a full interior/exterior detail, and each time walked away wondering why I paid all that money. The only reason I tried so many times, was there used to be a detailer in the area I live that I went to once, and saw a lot of his work, and I saw what a good detailer could do. He is unfortunately no longer in business as there was a limited number of people that would pay $300-450 for a detail in 1990 $.

As others have said you may need to keep looking, or alternatively do it yourself.