PDA

View Full Version : 550i, G35, thoughts on hi-temp after use on a rough black G35. (56k :( )

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Picus
08-27-2006, 12:39 PM
Hey guys. I will start with the rough G. The car is an `03 with 78k km on it. The owner bought it at 72k km and at the time wasn`t really aware of what issues to look for on paint. His description of it leads me to believe the dealer may have glazed it heavily before delivery. In any event the paint was in very bad shape; lots of swirling, and more importantly a ton of really deep horizontal marring (I`m thinking snow brush or bear attack). The headlights were weird too; I think someone cleaned them with acid (seriously), they had this strange divot/texture thing going on; very hazy.

Having recently purchased a bunch of hi-temp compounds (light cut, medium cut, heavy cut, and extreme cut) I decided to give EC a try on this car. My thoughts on this product pretty much mirror what most other users have mentioned; it cuts extremly well and leaves a very nice finish (not lsp ready, but significantly less micro marring than PG for example), however when used alone it dries up much too quickly. I used some Optimum Polish with it and it pretty much became perfect in terms of usability and results. On this car I I did need a second compounding step, however I can see how on most EC/yellow or orange followed by 106ff would be sufficient.

I pretty much feel similarly on all the hi-temp compounds. Light cut has a bit more bite than FPII, finishes down similarly and works much longer (spreads extremly easy), only downside is like all the hi temps it can be tough to remove if not fully worked. Medium cut is similar in aggressiveness to OC/Menz IP (perhaps a bit more), however it leaves reasonably micromarring on all but the hardest paints. Heavy cut is akin to SSR2.5 or maybe even PG-lite. Like EC it leaves less micromarring than equivilantly aggressive compounds. It`s workability, like EC, is a tad tough - it likes to gum up pads.

Anyway, the main event. 9 hours total:

Wash with ONR

Clay

Hi Temp EC/OP /yellow @1500

Hi Temp Med Cut/yellow 4" pads via PC (I did this step to get some of the random super deep marring on the hood, roof, and rear deck)

106ff/grey @1200

Zaino Z5pro

Megs WB on wheels (pretty bad brake dust)

Hi Temp Grape Dressing on tires (I like this, it`s not water based unfortunately, but as a result it lasts a long time and is very easy to use).

Sun wasn`t out, but halogens will tell the story.

Quickly; `06 G35 coupe. Light marring on hood and rear deck. Wash, Clay, HT Light Cut/white, RMG/Souveran. Owner gave me a cool compliment on this one "All my driving, highway included; in the rain, I am pleasantly surprised to see very little build up on the car. The visual pop is still very evident! A Swiss watch maker would learn a thing or two from you, great work!"

I thought that was nice. :)

BMW 550i. Dealer installed swirls; wash/clay, Menz FPII/white, AJ Prime Strong/white, Z5pro, Z6, Z2pro, Z6, Z2pro, Z8. Why all the Z? I wanted to see how how long it took, just personal curiosity. FWIW, the entire process took 3.5 hours. Sorry for lame pics, couldn`t move the car. :/

Bigpoppa3346
08-27-2006, 01:47 PM
You do some amazing work on black cars. Both the G35s look very deep and wet, and the 550i looks crystal clear. Great job!

Evenflow
08-27-2006, 02:19 PM
Great work, and nice selection of products.

All the cars look amazingly deep and wet :2thumbs:

Scottwax
08-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Excellent turnaround on that G35, what a horror show you had to start with!

Thanks for the write-up, very helpful since I have a couple of regulars with black G35s that I see 3-4 times a year.

imported_Picus
08-27-2006, 04:03 PM
Excellent turnaround on that G35, what a horror show you had to start with!

Thanks for the write-up, very helpful since I have a couple of regulars with black G35s that I see 3-4 times a year.

Ya, I wasn`t kidding about the bear attack. :)

I`m really liking the hi temps on the G`s. Light/smooth cut can be done on a white/grey LC pad and take out slightly more marring than FPII and finish down as smooth. `Bout time I got a routine down on them; these two make a total of 22 separate G`s detailed this summer. :eek:

MITeggy17
08-27-2006, 05:05 PM
Both look great, get a :2thumbs: from me.

imported_Dave KG
08-27-2006, 06:00 PM
The tree reflections in the bonnet is stunning! :eek:

Cracking work there mate, brilliant turnaround. :2thumbs:

lp2137
08-27-2006, 08:39 PM
Those befores looked HORRIBLE! GREAT turnaround. :bow I love G35`S. Both looks very sweet especially the 6spd. And how could I forget the BMW. Awesome awesome work.

awahl63
08-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Nice job on all those black cars

gmblack3
08-27-2006, 10:54 PM
Back in Black! So nice!

01bluecls
08-27-2006, 10:59 PM
EXCELLENT AS ALWAYS! Love the photograghy skills! 3.5 hours to do all that! You are superman...or i must be moving at the rate of a turtle!

runnerbl
08-27-2006, 11:22 PM
How long did you havta work the EC on the G? Could you have acheived these results with a PC using 4" pads? How fast were your passes with the rotary?

Thanks,

Brian

imported_Picus
08-28-2006, 12:10 PM
Thanks guys.

I think I could have achieved the results with 4" pads on the PC however it would have taken twice the time. I used them mostly for the hood, roof and rear deck in spots; had I done the entire car it would have been a two day job. The passes were typical for a rotary, took me a little under two hours to do the whole car with EC.

Unfortunately I am going to have to remove the pics. I can`t have my url in them and I am not re-uploading them without the url, too much time. Cheers guys.

stilez
08-28-2006, 01:13 PM
Great write-up! Stellar details!

My thoughts closely echo yours with HTEC.

www.photobucket.com has free image hosting that is relatively quick. I use it for all of my needs.

imported_Picus
08-28-2006, 01:18 PM
Great write-up! Stellar details!

My thoughts closely echo yours with HTEC.

www.photobucket.com has free image hosting that is relatively quick. I use it for all of my needs.

:)

I have hosting (with my site and all), but the pictures have my watermark in them (my site url) and I was asked to remove it. I do not feel like re-uploading the pictures sans watermark (who has time?), so alas, no pics!

Thanks Sean.