PDA

View Full Version : Can somebody pls give me some advice - I am totally new to this

BigBenz
08-27-2006, 12:34 PM
Hi everybody!

I have joined this forum an this is my first post.

I own one of these (a Mercedes 560SEL)

http://photos.ebizautos.com/4337/1172741_4.jpg

I am completely new to car cleaning, but have done a small amount of research.

I really would like to bring its true colour back to life and to make it sparkle and was wondering what products I would need.

For many years, I have simply washed the car with car shampoo, hand dried it and then polished with some car polish - completely below the high standards this forum expects! :D

Could you be so kind as to give me some advice on:

1. What products I need to buy

2. What steps/procedures I should take

Feel free to add anything else you wish!

I use Meguiars and Auto Glym produts.

Thanks!

:2thumbs:

a.k.a. Patrick
08-27-2006, 01:18 PM
The good and bad of Autopia. 1st the good. There are many knowlegable and experienced detailers and enthusiasts here to help. The bad, there are just as many differing ideas on what products/procedures one finds "the best"! Your best conducting your own little test platforms, and take some general notes as to what may or didnt work for you.

Some basics:

Proper paint care consists of cleaning, reviving and protecting.

Cleaning requires either paint cleaners, which will chemically remove dead paint (oxidation) and pollution (fallout).

Polishing requires polishes (abrasive, lubricative liquids) that will perform the above functions, as well as diminish or remove vertical edges on swirls and scratches. The severity or limitations of such polishes is dependant on size and qty of abrasives, and lubricating qualities in the product. Polishing is what actually revives the color of your paint. It actually accomplishes this by removing elements which "hide" your true color and depth.

Protection requires the use of products which will add a barrier of resistance to the elements. Its never "forever" and requires upkeep. Protection can come in many forms i.e. liquid carnaubas, polymers, pastes, and sprays. Examples of good over the counter (OTC) products to consider could be Mothers or Meguiars. Both companies have 1-2-3 punch systems. Something else to consider in your quest for "true color" would be the use of a clay bar system.

Find one area your looking for info on, and conduct a lengthy and patient search.

Have you read the E book which is available to all members?

imported_Denzil
08-27-2006, 03:36 PM
You`re really going to have to do some research yourself. Everyone has varying opinions on products and there really isn`t a sort of "best" product/method for detailling but rather favorite products and common practices.

If I were you, I`d start by reading the detailing guide as mentioned by Patrick (clicking the "learn!" icon at the top of any autopia page) and going from there. It`s a good time investment and it`ll give you a feel of what to do. Our forum content here will just supplement that foundation. Good luck in your findings.

BigBenz
08-27-2006, 04:01 PM
thanks folks! i found the e-book and will have a read!