PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas to remove gas smell from interior???

imported_NHBFAN
08-26-2006, 04:42 PM
A friend had spillage from a gas can in her new CRV. Would a pro with a hot water extractor be able to remove the smell?

Can a do-it-yourselfer remove the smell with woolite/water applications, baking soda, and airing it out?

Does Frebreeze Auto remove hydrocarbon smells?

Any ideas would be appreciated ... the CRV is only a few months old.

RTexasF
08-26-2006, 06:04 PM
My thoughts are that an Ozone Generator will be called for. Some detail shops and car detailers use them, check your area for pricing and availability. It will eventually dissipate but at the risk of ralphing in the car until it finally does.

AL-53
08-26-2006, 07:33 PM
If they had the can in the back area ..and you can remove the mat or rug...I would remove it..wash it...let air dry..then clean the area thet was under the mat with APC or Dawn to cut the gas residue and then re-wash again....

clean carpet with APC diluted...or a dedicated carpet cleaner with a degreaser agent...like a citrus based one...wash twice...

that may help....

Al

imported_NHBFAN
08-26-2006, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I haven`t seen the car. Does anyone know if the carpet in the rear area of current generation CRV`s are easily removable?

David Fermani
08-27-2006, 08:07 AM
Replace it before the rest of the fabric of the interior is contaminated with the swell. Take the damaged fabric out immediately and drop the windows. If the gas went through the mat and melted the tar paper remove it too. It`s almost impossible to completely remove the smell by just cleaning. I tried it on dozen`s of vehicles. NO Success, even with an ozone machine.

imported_NHBFAN
08-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Replace it before the rest of the fabric of the interior is contaminated with the swell. Take the damaged fabric out immediately and drop the windows. If the gas went through the mat and melted the tar paper remove it too. It`s almost impossible to completely remove the smell by just cleaning. I tried it on dozen`s of vehicles. NO Success, even with an ozone machine.

too late now ... it happened a few days ago

David Fermani
08-27-2006, 01:28 PM
too late now ... it happened a few days ago

But the smell isn`t going away by itself. Has anything been done yet?

imported_NHBFAN
08-27-2006, 01:59 PM
But the smell isn`t going away by itself. Has anything been done yet?

I don`t think so ... she was supposed to go to a pro tomorrow (Monday).