PDA

View Full Version : Pics of scratches/scuffs....repairable??

NightRider
08-26-2006, 09:26 AM
Hi there, here are a couple photos of my back plastic bumper. I was wondering if this can be repaired without the cost of buying a replacement bumper. Keep in mind this bumper is not painted, it is original plastic colour.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i14/ramjet1/02.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i14/ramjet1/01.jpg

Thanks.

imported_paradigm
08-26-2006, 09:42 AM
my vote is no. since there is no paint to correct it is simply physical damage to the plastic surface. is that a big scuff mark underneith the scratches? something like that could probably be lessened or removed, but the big scrapes would need to be filled in with something and color-matched (but with what i have no idea)

hopefully a more seasoned autopian will be able to help you! :)

Brian_Brice
08-26-2006, 10:39 AM
yeah that scuffs pretty bad, my father in law had something similar on his truck and let me play with it. his was also on the plastic of his bumper. i sanded out most of it but as far as repairing that gouge i have no idea.

David Fermani
08-26-2006, 12:48 PM
Textured Parts are NOT repairable by normal standards. Send it into a bumper reconditioner like Keystone and see what they say.

xTravBx
08-26-2006, 01:14 PM
Sand it, fill it with a 3M 2-part rubber expoxy, and paint match it to your car.

martinager
08-26-2006, 01:38 PM
Sand it, fill it with a 3M 2-part rubber expoxy, and paint match it to your car.

Can this be used to do small scratches on plastic wheelwell trim ?

My moms volvo XC-90 has one scratch on the back right.

car:

http://www.einfach-autos.de/bildergalerie/volvo/xc90/volvo-xc90-1.jpg

imported_ChrisNJ
08-26-2006, 02:51 PM
i`m also going w/ no. That looks pretty deep and any repairs are going to be more body shop/repair oriented than anything else.

David Fermani
08-26-2006, 05:25 PM
Being an insurance adjuster, I`ve never seen a shop sucesssfully repair a textured bumper(except a broken tab). It`s almost impossible to match the texture accurately. Every time I appraise one, I always pay to replace it. You can try to mend it, but it will stick out like a sore thumb. Sorry. :sadpace:

awahl63
08-27-2006, 11:24 AM
Nope sorry...

HenrikP
08-27-2006, 08:02 PM
texture is the main issue there

panger
08-27-2006, 09:40 PM
I have seen gouges like that fixed on a Ford Escape before. The guy used a heat gun and moulded it back to shape, then he paint matched it to the rest of the bumper. The guy had years of experience though. It wasn`t perfect but much cheaper than spending money on a new bumper and it took him like half an hour.

jerry@robs
08-27-2006, 10:45 PM
3M has plastic bumper/molding repair kits and dyes... You might wanna check that out.

Pittssteelers
08-28-2006, 04:55 PM
Yes it can be repaired and look as good as new. The problem is that I have meet only 2 people that are adept at this, and one of them just recently retired! The other one is George Evendole, and the man is a miracle man. If you live in the Western Pa, Northern West Virginia or Northen Maryland I will give you his #. Just hit me up with a pm.

David Fermani
08-28-2006, 06:01 PM
Yes it can be repaired and look as good as new. The problem is that I have meet only 2 people that are adept at this, and one of them just recently retired! The other one is George Evendole, and the man is a miracle man. If you live in the Western Pa, Northern West Virginia or Northen Maryland I will give you his #. Just hit me up with a pm.

Any idea how he does it. Our company spends millions of $$ each year replacing textured parts. How can I get more information.....Someone with that knowledge needs to expand.

Pittssteelers
08-29-2006, 03:37 PM
Any idea how he does it. Our company spends millions of $$ each year replacing textured parts. How can I get more information.....Someone with that knowledge needs to expand.

If I did, I would be doing it! LOL! He makes about 100 bucks on a job and does it in about an hour!!!