PDA

View Full Version : Clay left haziness???

Pages : [1] 2

EricDawg
08-26-2006, 03:05 AM
So I used a Zaino clay bar on my black Dakota about 5 monts ago and it worked great. On my other cars too. Then yesterday I use it and it left a real hazy spot that I had to use ZPC/Scratch X to get out. Anyone seen this before? I used Zaino wash with water as a lubricant. I wonder if I didn`t use enough, or rubbed too hard? Can rubbing too hard with clay cause markings? Sorry no pix but I`m gonna try again Sunday.

Pittssteelers
08-26-2006, 05:33 AM
Yes...this can happen by rubbing too hard/using a degresser soap as a lub/or the finish just being covered up by `fillers.`

DETAILKING
08-26-2006, 09:15 AM
What did u use as lube? Sometimes if you use too much dawn it can leave a haze, and sometimes the clay bar can leave what looks like a haze if it is used too long and it starts to break down. Usually a wash fixes this.

EricDawg
08-26-2006, 03:17 PM
I used the recommended 1 cap of Zaino car wash with 16 ounces of water. Maybe I rubbed too hard then and got lazy with the lube. I`m gonna try again this afternoon. If it happens again I`ll take a pic and post it here for input.

Thanks for the responses.

:hifive:

Nis01
08-26-2006, 04:30 PM
I`ve encountered a similar problem with claying certain spots. Did the ZPC take the haze off? Did you use it by hand or with PC? I`m wondering if its the lack of lubricant because I also use the Zaino recommended wash mix. :nixweiss

gbogh3
08-26-2006, 09:10 PM
I used the recommended 1 cap of Zaino car wash with 16 ounces of water. Maybe I rubbed too hard then and got lazy with the lube. I`m gonna try again this afternoon. If it happens again I`ll take a pic and post it here for input.

Thanks for the responses.

You are close on the receipe. go to the store and get some distilled water to put in the sprayer.

RUB. DO NOT RUB! The clay bar should glide across the paint with no pressure on the bar at all.

EricDawg
08-26-2006, 09:56 PM
and I`m claying again. Same results! The ZPC does remove the haziness. I`m wondering if it`s just the water spots left over that I`m seeing.

The reason I`m doing this is, we were on vacation and it rained one day even though it was 100 degrees. The rain dried and left water spots all along one side (thank God just one side). Of course the black paint shoes them all. So I`m claying to get those off.

So I`m wondering if what I`m seeing is the underlying water spot damage.

I rubbed very lighty with adequate lube and still get left with the haziness. Weird cause it didn`t happen the first time I did the truck. :nixweiss

When I rub it sounds gritty. My finger does glide across it, so it is removing the surface contaniments.

So... since I have to ZPC it all off, I`m sitting here pondering just ZPC`ing the entire side to get the spots off. Washing and Z-5 don`t remove the spots. I hate to use ZPC on the entire side of the truck since it`s abrasive, but I`m finding ZPC and Scratch X are my best friends with this black paint. It`s a beautfil color but I fuc*ing hate it!!! LOL.

Any thoughts anyone???? On the water spots not the black paint sucking please.

EricDawg
08-26-2006, 10:00 PM
the last time I did the clay, afterwards I did about 7 coats of Z-5, Z-2 etc. etc. Total Zaino-fest. I wonder if all the polish on there is what`s causing this? Just re-polishing doesn`t make the haziness go away. Only ZPC Fusion.

Any ideas to get these spots off besides clay or ZPC??? :think2

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

:2thumbs:

EricDawg
08-26-2006, 10:28 PM
So I just tried using Z-6 as a lube to rule out the wash as the problem. I rubbed every so lightly for a few seconds, then put my work lamp on the area and low and behold, the water spots were starting to smear. I did it some more and whamo, a hazy spot.

The water spots are just smearing together, and no amount of claying is removing them. Wow. So all I know is to use ZPC to get them out. Man... brutal.

I`ll search in here for other ways to get hard water spots off. Anyone else have any ideas please let me know.

And I thought I`d be done in a couple of hours! :(

EricDawg
08-26-2006, 10:52 PM
Looks like I need to hit these spots with a Vinegar solution, based on searching here. Man without this website I wouldn`t have known what to do. I`ll give that a shot tomorrow. Thanks Autopia!

EricDawg
08-27-2006, 12:44 AM
Tried 50/50 water/vinegar. Didn`t do squat. Gonna try more vinegar tomorrow, and hit Schucks etc. to see what kind of water spot removers I can find. At least I know abrasives work.

Man... I need to carry some towels around with me. Next time it rains in heat I`m gonna wipe that sucker dry.

DETAILKING
08-27-2006, 01:21 PM
After you use Z2 pro and Z8, water spots should remove easily if they are not left on too long.

EricDawg
08-27-2006, 01:33 PM
Hmm... are you saying if I use Z2 and Z8 the spots will buff out? I did try Z5 and it didn`t do anything.

Do you think a PC with regular polish (Z2 or Z5) would be more effective than polishing by hand? After staying up until 3 am searchin this site and others, I`m off to get a 7336.

Thanks for the help.

hugj
08-28-2006, 12:51 AM
Are you using the red Zaino clay? I noticed it on my car as well when I hit a spot with clay yesterday. Prior to that I had been using the yellow Zaino clay (old color) and never noticed the problem.

EricDawg
08-28-2006, 02:00 AM
Yeah it`s the red Zaino clay. I`ve used it before without any troubles, and I really think it`s the water spots. I should probably try another brand clay bar, seeing as how nothing else so far is doing much good. Pretty depressing weekend. I used to think clay was the answer to everything. I tried lots of vinegar and nadda. Never left it on for more than 20 minutes, but it didn`t seem to be doing much.

I had a little bit of luck with Meguirs paint cleaner, follow by Zaino Z-6 cleaner. W/o the Z-6 the Meg`s paint cleaner residue never came off (smeared). But it takes about 5 tries to get a little better. Taking forever and rubbing too hard for little results. Abrasives work (Z-PC), but they`re leaving swirl marks.

On the plus side, since the clay wasn`t working I was forced to study and I picked up a PC 7336 at Lowe`s. Now I just need to figure out what pad and polish to get the water spots and swirls out.

Any recommendations anyone? 3M? Sonus? Menez... ?

Also thinking about hiring someone to fix this up for me. Got other things to do around the house. :(