PDA

View Full Version : Removing bugs

gav'spurplez
08-25-2006, 08:24 AM
I`m detailing a vette on sunday with alot of bugs splattered.

I recently purchased the bug bar / sponge from TOTL.

What should be used, some stubborn guts on my cars were not easily removed with just the car wash soap :o

awahl63
08-25-2006, 10:04 AM
WD-40...tarminator...strong car wash solution

Pats300zx
08-25-2006, 10:18 AM
Try soaking a MF towel in warm water and then laying it over the bugs. Let it sit for a few minutes. It should make the bugs easier to remove.

Joshua312
08-25-2006, 10:21 AM
I agree with Andrew, WD-40 and a plastic razor blade used with caution...It worked wonders for me on a recent detail. If you run into this problem a lot maybe you could look into Meguairs Body Solvent...I`ve been looking into it as well.

Btw...Im sure the bugs will be the least of your worries with a corvette...Im learning this right now :eek:

Brian_Brice
08-25-2006, 10:35 AM
wash the bug parts off gently with your sponge, clay the stains and small smears left behind gently. i use clay on pretty much every car i touch, mainly the windshield and front bumper/grill, but its VERY easy to remove no question.

gav'spurplez
08-25-2006, 12:38 PM
thanks for the replies !!

sometimes the meg`s clay does not seem aggressive enough :nixweiss

maybe i`ll take a ride to see if there`s something i can use to help assist the removal

DrSauekraut
08-25-2006, 02:11 PM
Once you’ve removed the bugs, remember to keep it slick with a fresh coat of your favorite LSP . . . it makes a world of difference :2thumbs:

imported_Grouse
08-25-2006, 02:42 PM
Try soaking a MF towel in warm water and then laying it over the bugs. Let it sit for a few minutes. It should make the bugs easier to remove.

I foam my MF towels with my foam gun and do the same. Works real well and is less destructive than dousing a car with bug off goop.

I first vac out the trunk, wheel wells, radiator, engine bay Get all the loose dead crap out. this is easier to do when it is dry than when you turn it all to mud and it dries.

Then i hose off the car with the trunk and hood closed. Being sure to blast off the major chunks of the dead bugs left.

I then pre soak 6 or so of my cheaper mf towels. As they will be just laying on the paint they need only be clean as i will not be scrubbing with them.

Let the foamed damp/wet towels sit on the bug areas for at least 5-10 min.

then i remove the towels as i was those areas, putting the towels in the rinse bucket.

gav'spurplez
08-25-2006, 03:08 PM
Once you’ve removed the bugs, remember to keep it slick with a fresh coat of your favorite LSP . . . it makes a world of difference :2thumbs:

the car is going to get a full exterior detail, so the areas will be polished / glazed / and waxed :getdown

gav'spurplez
08-28-2006, 12:50 PM

i soaked a few terry towels in warm water and then laid them on the front end, let them sit for about 3-4 minutes and then repeated the process,

bugs washed off easily, and the ones that didn`t came off with the "bug bar / sponge "

Djmigs
08-28-2006, 12:58 PM
Bugs Sponge with your fav soap

if you have a pressure washer that will help alot too...