PDA

View Full Version : Stain on window

Guy
08-25-2006, 07:37 AM
I`m driving my neighbors F-150 while helping him work on his house. The truck was a mess so I decided to wash it and all came clean but two spots on the window. It had the consistency of hard maple candy, nothing I tried would remove it. Dawn, orange cleaner, zaino window polish, and finally barkeepers friend were used with no avail. A plastic ice scraper flaked off most of it but it still remains as a translucent stain. At first I thought egg, but I`ve never had this much trouble removing that before. Any ideas would be appreciated! :nixweiss I`ll get pics later.

imported_MCA
08-25-2006, 07:43 AM
It is possible that it could be hardened tree sap...ease of removal depends on how long it`s been on the window. Sometimes claying will work...Stoner`s Tarminator works on semi-soft sap...Since the stain is on the window, I would recommend 0000 steel wool and glass polish - let the steel wool do the work. Naturally don`t do this if it`s on the paint. Hope this helps.

MCA

AL-53
08-25-2006, 08:14 AM
Try wetting a guaze pad with some mineral spirits and place it on the spot.. let it soak for a bit...and then try to remove the spot...or even try some prep sol..may soften it up for removal...try a plastic razor also to scrape it off after it softens..

I found Ford OEM glass to be soft ...it really pits easy from road fly grit...my Ford truck glass is horrible..and it`s just 2 1/2 years old..

Al

sspeer
08-25-2006, 08:32 AM
I`ve used nail polish remover/acetone on the nasty temp plate sticker residue Illinois had. It was amazing how many cars you`d see with 2 vertical lines of adhesive residue.

Guy
08-25-2006, 08:57 AM
http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j187/GuyB_2006/F-150/

The mark is in the middle of both pics. It almost feels like a glue of some sort. I`ll go try all the ideas you guys have given me and report back. Thanks :hifive:

spartacus_33
08-25-2006, 09:33 AM
Lighter fluid contains "naptha"...... it will easily remove tree sap...... if that`s what it is....