PDA

View Full Version : what`s going on with this paint on my trunk? [pics]

sook
08-24-2006, 05:37 PM
:sadpace:

Saw this on my trunk a few days ago, what is it? how do i fix it? how urgent is it?

ive got some bad oxidation going, ive got a guy lined up to do all sorts of crazy stuff to it, but ive been holding off till i get more money in the bank, should i go ahead and do it?

thanks

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b131/phritosan/PICT0905.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b131/phritosan/PICT0903.jpg

velobard
08-24-2006, 05:43 PM
That, my friend, is clear coat failure and the only solution is repainting. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

Guy
08-24-2006, 05:44 PM
Not an expert but it looks like clearcoat failure, I have to agree with Velo.

jimmybuffit
08-24-2006, 05:47 PM
Well, I am an expert, and it is clearcoat failure. Repaint required.

Jim

sook
08-24-2006, 05:54 PM
awww, damn

how much am i looking at to repaint the trunk?

and what exactly is clear coat failure? what causes it?

I.A.S.
08-24-2006, 10:58 PM
i would suggest spending the money if u can and just doing the whole car, if the trunk is failing the rest of the car wont be far behind.....

jerry@robs
08-25-2006, 01:56 AM
Paint gone... no choice but to repaint...

Reasons could be plenty, but most probably the car has been improperly buffed/sanded before. Based on the pics, your paint failure is at the edges, where the paint is thinnest.

Could also be a small chip/scratch there before that was left unattended, the cracked clear starts to wear and got bigger and bigger.

Actually, constant rubbing of one`s hand while opening/closing will cause that as well, but it`ll take years, if not decades, before something that severe can occur.

rawnblade7
08-25-2006, 05:36 AM
how would one tell the difference between clear coat failure and oxidation? thanks.

xTravBx
08-25-2006, 08:38 AM
Oxidation usually appears as basic "faded" paint, or extremely hazy, and feels like a chalkboard.

Clearcoat failure is different, it might also have similar symptoms of oxidation, but you can see the clear is actually flaking away in spots.