PDA

View Full Version : Streaking Window`s?

Pages : [1] 2

Solo Cali
08-24-2006, 04:03 PM
No matter what I do I get streaks(WINSHIELD/BACKWINDOW)?

I am using Stoner Invisible Glass Cleaner, areosol. I use micro fiber to wipe but stll get streaks. HELP!

Guy
08-24-2006, 04:09 PM
All my house windows were like that and we ended up using vinegar and water. About 8:1 water to vinegar. That completely took care of the streaks, and I tried almost everything I had including dawn soap to get rid of them. Goodluck, you don`t have a Honda Accord do you. My sisters Honda does that and she can`t get them streak free either. I`m going to try this for her next week.

BMWWW
08-24-2006, 04:26 PM
In my short experience in detailing,

Cleaning windows out of the sun helps a lot. Scientific reason? I don`t have one, it just works better; just make sure you check your work out in the sun!

Try flipping the towel more to expose a clean surface, or using more MF`s.

My $0.02, I`m sure the rest of the board has better tips!

Diesel1
08-24-2006, 04:27 PM
I always have a problem with streak too. I think most of the time I try to use the same MF for too long. Once it gets slightly damp, you can`t help but get streaks. If the glass is hot, it will cause streaking for sure. Either way, I suck at cleaning glass! lol

mikebai1990
08-24-2006, 04:30 PM
I haven`t personally used the Stoner`s Invisisble Glass, but it seems like many people swear by it. I would search around and take a look at other threads that explore how to clean windows thoroughly.

In my short experience in detailing,

Cleaning windows out of the sun helps a lot. Scientific reason?

I believe the reason working out of the sun is better is that when you clean it in the sun, the sun quickly bakes the water onto the glass and evaporates. And you are left with spots or dirty-looking windows.

kbshadow
08-24-2006, 04:39 PM
I tried them all more than once, never good enough.

So far Magic eraser in the shade with a clean MF has worked best.

kbshadow

stockton Ca

imported_truzoom
08-24-2006, 04:45 PM
IMHO, glass needs some good scrubbin to get clean. I know most people here probably don`t bring terry cloth towels within 10 ft of their vehicles, but they work wonders on glass. I usually get one damp with hot water and I use it to do the initial wipe, and dry the water off and buff with a clean dry MF. No chemicals, no overspray, no streaks, nothing.

abbeysdad
08-24-2006, 04:45 PM
I swear by Stoners Invisible Glass, but had a streaking issue at first. I`d clean the glass and it would look great, then the next day I`d see streaks.

I use two different MF`s. One right after spraying (or to spray on) and the other to wipe clean. Seems to work.

Solo Cali
08-24-2006, 05:09 PM
This is the issue I`m having, I have happy customers when I leave, then when I return the following week they ask me if I cleaned the inside of there windows?

How about using newspaper to wipe down the windows, abit oldschool but I`m getting frustrated with this window issue I`m having.

I bought the "glass master", watse.

Any other idea`s guy`s?

2.5RS
08-24-2006, 05:22 PM
For me, the inside of the windows never really seem to need a heavy cleaner. I use two MF`s one *very, very lightly* damp with distilled water and the other clean and dry. Haven`t had streaks since I started using that method. Seems like the more you throw at them, the worse the streaks get. Less = More, go simple and see what happens.

- Andrew

74 thing
08-24-2006, 05:36 PM
How about spraying on the product, using a sponge to spread it out, the use a good squeege (spelling??) that you can get at the hardware store in smaller sizes-works for professional home window cleaners.

BMWWW
08-24-2006, 10:09 PM
How are the windows on your personal car?

Perhaps you should try different methods on your car to find a combo that yields a perfect finish.

Are the `complaints` for only the windsheild? Are the rest of the windows okay?

-- Maybe doing the windsheild first will reduce the dirt and grim on your MF`s as well as not saturating it too much.

Hope this helps!

ret
08-24-2006, 10:20 PM
http://www.properautocare.com/cleanautglas.html

RET

Solo Cali
08-24-2006, 11:25 PM
Thanks guy`s. The majority of the complaints are the ones I put on myself. I just notice it, even when they dont, and I would like to be as perfect as possible.

I`m gonna try the winshield first. I typically start with the drivers side door first, then move to the drivers side of the winshield. Next would be the back passenger window if there is one, followed by the back window. Then work my way around.

Scottwax
08-24-2006, 11:49 PM
I`ve been using Meguiars NXT Glass Cleaner and 16 x 24 waffle weaves I get from my Optimum distributor (not an Optimum product though) and the WW`s really made a difference, plus their larger size allows me to refold them more times than smaller towels. Not sure exactly why WW`s work better than regular MFs but they definitely do. After trying a couple, I bought another 25, plus my son asked me for a few to take back home since he also noticed how much cleaner they left the glass.

Optimum has a concentrated glass cleaner/water spot remover in test right now that looks very promising on glass.