PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at swirl removal.

Mr.Dan
08-24-2006, 09:29 AM
Was working on a friend`s protege last night. Apparantely, her dad used to use old pieces of clothing to dry the car. Needless to say, swirl was abundant! :waxing:

Anyway, onward to the detail. I used Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover with a LC Orange pad to attack the swirls. Most of the swirls came out, but under the halogen, fine scratch was still noticeable. I went over the area twice and it still did not take out the swirls!

I have a bottle of OC, but was too tired last night to continue working. Would OC do the trick? Also, towards the end, i found that the wolfgang dusted A LOT, and my pads were gumming up, thereby, not doing an effective job towards the end. My question would be, how many pads do you guys go through for one cycle (i.e. Swirl removal).

Joshua312
08-24-2006, 09:34 AM
My guess without seeing pictures the fine swirls you are seeing is micromarring, from using an orange pad. Usually you need to go over the area again with a less agressive pad .

If your pads are gumming up you may be using too much product, you can clean your pads at any time by spraying them with the hose and then spin dry on your PC.

Mr.Dan
08-24-2006, 09:40 AM
I thought you are not supposed to free spin the PC?

Joshua312
08-24-2006, 09:43 AM
I thought you are not supposed to free spin the PC?

I never had a problem with it and I know others have done this as well (as long as you keep the speed around 3-4, if you dont feel comfortable doing that...Take a microfiber towel and hold it on the pad and then turn the PC on like 3 or 4 to dry

Mr.Dan
08-24-2006, 09:47 AM
Thanks Joshua312 :2thumbs:

3Dog
08-24-2006, 09:47 AM
If I am not mistaken WG TSR is more of a finishing polish....OC first and then TSR with polishing pad.

Some pads I have found are ok to free spin..others watch out!

We bought a cheap rotary on ebay (around 10 bucks) and stuck an old ridgid backing plate on it and use it just to spin dry pads.

Mr.Dan
08-24-2006, 10:20 AM
Ya, there isn`t a whole lot of info on WG TSR. It seems like not a lot of people uses it.

I`m still trying to figure out whether the micromarring are as a result of the TSR, or are they actually scratches that TSR can`t take out...

Joshua312
08-24-2006, 10:24 AM
Ya, there isn`t a whole lot of info on WG TSR. It seems like not a lot of people uses it.

I`m still trying to figure out whether the micromarring are as a result of the TSR, or are they actually scratches that TSR can`t take out...

If TSR is a finishing polish it`s more than likely not strong enough to take them out...I would use the OC then follow with TSR on a panel and see how you like the results.