PDA

View Full Version : Help with zaino z-16

jw
08-23-2006, 09:52 PM
I purchased this a few weeks ago and am a little dissapointed. When I first apply it, it looks awesome. However, as soon as I drive it it seems to disappear. I purchased this because I thought it lasted the longest out of any of the tire dressings. I was using Mothers f/x before which I believe is liquid based so that shouldn`t be a problem. Any suggestions?

Setec Astronomy
08-23-2006, 09:58 PM
What does it look like when you first apply it? Really wet? Because Z-16 isn`t really a high-gloss, wet-look dressing. It`s strength is maintaining a matte black look for a long time (new tire look). I think some have said that buffing the excess off will result in better longevity (think buffing wax residue to kind of "set" the dressing).

It is disappointing if you`re thinking a wet look like a gel, etc.

Joshua312
08-23-2006, 10:07 PM
I agree with Setec, If your looking for durability and having a nice matte look, Z16 is great, and if you want the wet look then once a week put some more on...you can layer it.

If your looking for that "wet" look on your tires I would give Blackfire Tire Gel a try...I like that as well

ZaneO
08-23-2006, 10:31 PM
Did you thoroughly clean the tires before applying? Z16 performs best when it is allowed to properly "bond" to the tire...it can`t do that over old dressing.

ret
08-23-2006, 10:55 PM
However, as soon as I drive it it seems to disappear

No suggestions.....However I do share your disappointment with Z-16s “durabilityâ€.

I myself have given up on using Z-16 for a tire dressing, in fact I don’t use it on any exterior trim.

Iv spoke with Sal about the less than desired results I was experiencing, and while most of the trim and tires that were failing to retain any Z-16 after the lightest of rains had previously been dressed with silicon based dressing, I can’t continue to include this factor in my current poor durability results.

The tires have been well cleaned with Simple Green and or Westley’s Bleach White a number of times, and have even been left to “dry out†(no dressing) for two days, they still won’t hold any Z-16 through one afternoon rain shower.

And I’m not talking about a situation where the “fresh†Z-16 finish is reduced to more of a “matte finishâ€â€I’m talking washed away.

Washed away from tires, black plastic trim, vinyl braâ€â€all gone.

My disappointment in Z-16 won’t keep me from continuing to be a Zaino customer, I actually like and prefer Z-16 on some of my interior trim, however I’m still looking for the Z-2 of tire dressings.

RET

TGates
08-24-2006, 08:27 AM
I agree with Zane. Scrub whatever you had on your tires off with a rubber cleaner and tire brush. Any silicones will hinder the bonding/adhering of Z-16. Apply one coat over a freshly cleaned tire. Let it soak in for a few minutes. Apply another coat right over this if you want a little shinier (it still won`t look greasy) finish.

If you want something real shiny, try Meg`s Hot Shine tire spray.

The thing I love about Z-16 is that it absolutely will not sling. The same cannot be said for some other tire dressing I have tried, namely the Wolfgang tire gel. That stuff made an absolute mess all over my silver Corvette.

My favorite OTC tire dressing is Eagle One Wet. That stuff rocks, and Adam`s VRT is nice as well. I`m testing durability right now, but I don`t have high hopes.

Accumulator
08-24-2006, 10:44 AM
Z-16 (older version) works fine for me but that doesn`t mean it`s right for everybody. It seems like some tires/rubber/plastic trim/etc. just responds better to certain products than to others and you just have to find the product that works best for *you* :nixweiss

FWIW, I find that a thorough saturation and a lengthy dwell time (before buffing off the excess) does help with the durability.

FWIW#2 I wouldn`t use Simple Green to clean tires or other such materials, I`d worry about it being too harsh. I even quit using the Bleche White (sp? IIRC they spell it weirdly) stuff in favor of much milder products.

medic159
08-24-2006, 11:10 AM
I`m surprised by those who find Z-16 has no durability. Applied to aproperly cleaned tire and allowed to bond Z-16 is highly durable. Here is a picture of Z-16 applied to a brand new tire and then driven 200+ miles through very hot sun and occasional torrential downpours. Applications every couple of weeks is all I need to maintain this look.

http://dftowel.com/elky/Z16tire.jpg

http://dftowel.com/elky/Z16close.jpg

wannafbody
08-24-2006, 02:18 PM
from my experience on a properly cleaned tire Z16 works well and is durable. IMO it just doesn`t stick well to hard plastics. For hard plastic the best I`ve used is Tropicare non silicone dressing.

DM101
08-24-2006, 02:46 PM
I agree try Meg Hot Shine spray.......Spray and walk away!!

I agree with Zane. Scrub whatever you had on your tires off with a rubber cleaner and tire brush. Any silicones will hinder the bonding/adhering of Z-16. Apply one coat over a freshly cleaned tire. Let it soak in for a few minutes. Apply another coat right over this if you want a little shinier (it still won`t look greasy) finish.

If you want something real shiny, try Meg`s Hot Shine tire spray.

The thing I love about Z-16 is that it absolutely will not sling. The same cannot be said for some other tire dressing I have tried, namely the Wolfgang tire gel. That stuff made an absolute mess all over my silver Corvette.

My favorite OTC tire dressing is Eagle One Wet. That stuff rocks, and Adam`s VRT is nice as well. I`m testing durability right now, but I don`t have high hopes.

ret
08-24-2006, 03:46 PM
properly cleaned tire ?

properly cleaned tire ?

I don`t use Simple Green?

You guys that have gotten Z-16 to stickâ€.how’s about some help in educating us?

Please define the process for a “properly cleaned tireâ€.

And if not using Westley’s or Simple Greenâ€.then what?

Simple Green was Sal’s suggestion.

If you`re not doing any thing differant than cleaning very well with what is known as standard tire cleaning products and Z-16 is working for you..........well congrats!

However, if you`re using other products that clean better and may leave less of an X factor behind that may be reducing the durabilaty of water based tire dressings like (Z-16).....................Please share.

Thanks

RET

ZaneO
08-24-2006, 03:52 PM
And if not using Westley’s or Simple Greenâ€.then what?

Simple Green was Sal’s suggestion.

Have you tried anything like Eagle One All Wheel and Tire?

I rarely have trouble with any tire dressing I use (waterbased).

wannafbody
08-24-2006, 04:24 PM
I was using Mothers FX and cleaned the tires with a purple APC. Z16 is sticking-no problems. If you used a silicone dressing you might need several cleanings as the silicone can leach out from deep in the rubber once it heats up and the Z16 will loosen up.

slippy
08-24-2006, 05:06 PM
I find that most water based dressings will last longer when applied with a small shoe brush,the fairly soft little brushes used for applying shoe polish(wax).Work the dressing in with the brush until it dissapears,then lightly wipe the tire,works well with all dressings.

ret
08-24-2006, 10:07 PM
Have you tried anything like Eagle One All Wheel and Tire?

I rarely have trouble with any tire dressing I use (waterbased).

Will give it a shot.....this will probably be my last attempt in getting Z-16 to work at an exceptable level on my tires, they have been silicon free for 1 month now, and I live in Florida.....so the should have had plenty of heat to help dry them out.

I`ve accepted the fact that Z-16 is not going to work for dressing hard plastic trim.....makes a mess when it rains, and Sal toldme that they had some mixed results with differant brands of tire samples during testing........so :nixweiss

Thanks

RET