PDA

View Full Version : Environmental contamination - covering vs cleaning?

wolfe
08-23-2006, 10:33 AM
It seems like when my car`s parked at home it`s getting contamination landing on it (no garage unfortunately).

What would be my best approach, covering it up when it`s parked, or having to give it a very thorough clean every few weeks (claying to remove the contaminants).

I apologise for posting again about car covers, but I haven`t been able to find any really definitive answers as to whether they`re a good or bad idea.

mikebai1990
08-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Hm... My suggestion would be to... do both :) Using a car cover will definitely cut down on the amount of dust that accumulates on the car. In addition, by washing it every few weeks, you can get rid of contamination and dust that accumulates when you drive the car. On Autopia, most people wash every few weeks (at most :)), so even with a car cover, a wash every few weeks would be smart.

the other pc
08-23-2006, 11:05 AM
...but I haven`t been able to find any really definitive answers as to whether they`re a good or bad idea.That`s because there aren`t any.

There are no "definitive" answers any more than there are "easy" ones. Each approach has its strengths and weaknesses. It`s up to you to decide which you can live with.

PC.

wolfe
08-23-2006, 11:30 AM
I`m washing it every week or two, but that doesn`t get the contamination off. For that I need to clay or use something stronger, which I believe means I need to rewax. My thinking on the cover is purely that it`d hopefully stop the particles sticking to the car, I`d still wash it regularly. I`m wondering whether a cover is regarded as a viable option by people who`re serious about detailing (you lot!).

the other pc
08-23-2006, 12:08 PM
A cover is a viable option but you should maximize its benefits while minimizing its drawbacks.

A good cover can prevent contamination from reaching your paint but putting it on and taking it off can grind any contaminants that are there into your paint.

So you need to use the cover while contamination is falling but not use if that gunk has already landed. If gunk is there you`ll want to clean it off before putting the cover back on.

With a little practice you can wash, clay and do a "fast wax" very quickly. You`ll have to balance the hassle of that with the annoyance of using a cover well. It`s your choice.

PC.

wolfe
08-23-2006, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the clarification! How dirty is "too dirty" to put the cover on? The contaminant which is a problem to me is ferrous particals, which I am pretty sure wouldn`t land on the car in any significant number if it was covered. Regular dirt and dust though would still accumulate.

the other pc
08-23-2006, 04:08 PM
I don`t think I can give a solid answer to that. I`d say that if you can feel any grittiness with your hands it`s way too dirty to cover. I`d think the same would apply to anything you can see as distinct particles.

I don`t really feel comfortable throwing a cover on anything I can see. Maybe that`s too picky, maybe not. It sure wouldn`t hurt to QD before covering.

Also note: anything that`s under the cover has the opportunity contaminate the cover. So you may be holding contaminants against your paint by using a cover unless you only put it on a clean finish.

PC.

wolfe
08-23-2006, 05:25 PM
Thanks very much for the advice. This is a really hard decision to make.