PDA

View Full Version : Platinum Shield Paint Protection from Dealer

Swanny007
08-22-2006, 07:31 PM
OK folks, be gentle, I`m new here...

I just bought a new 2007 Jeep Compass last week. It`s steel blue metallic which just pops when it`s sunny out.

Here`s the deal. I`m obsessive with my vehicles and so I want the professional`s opinion. The dealer is selling a few products and I`m thinking of buying them. They`re $250 for one or $450 for two.

The products are:

1. Platinum Shield Paint Protection - This goes over the clearcoat ... it bonds to the surface, completely sealing the paint. It will create a smooth, durable finish that protects your vehicle against the harsh Canadian environment. This long lasting sealant protects and enhances your vehicles clear coat with no requirement for waxing or reapplication.

Now that I have kids I don`t have the time anymore to wax and clean the cars like I used to. Given that they use lots of salt on the roads in the winter, this sounds like it will help slow down the formation of rust and keep the Jeep shiny all year round. Plus I won`t ever have to wax.

2. Platinum Shield Rust Protection - This consists of a rust inhibitor spray that seals your vehicle`s inner body metal surfaces and stops rust perforation from the inside out. The high-pressure spray apllication ensures that all inner body panels are treated without drillling any holes. It also includes a corrosion control module that consists of a pulse amplifier microproccessor that generates a repetitive pulse surface current... yadda... which protects areas such as the roof and inseams that conventional products can`t reach.

Well based on the brochure I`m pretty much sold on the paint protection. It is very appealing. But I`m also thinking of getting the rust spray to help stop rust from the inside out. I had a 1998 F-150 that started rusting within 2 years in the door seams due to a factory defect. I want to eliminate pretty much any chance of rust on my new vechicle, and now is the time to do it.

I saw a 1990 Oldsmobile boat yesterday that was suprisingly not rusty. It had just a little it of surface rust. I noticed a sticker in the back window about rust guard. So if that product held up extremely well for 25 years, then maybe it`s not so bad.

Thoughts/opinions???? Keep in mind I don`t have the time anymore to do regular waxing. Washing yes, waxing/detailing, no. I`m looking for experiences with the products. Or... if there is a similar product which is less than $250/$450, let me know.

Oh, by the way, here is the website:

http://www.firstcanadian.ca --> Go under the link "Protection Products"

Thanks!

Wasatch
08-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Stay away from the dealer package`s. Save your money and do it yourself. We autopians will help you out the best we can. Read the forums and ask questions, the search tool will help big time. PLEASE DO NOT BUY WHAT THEY HAVE FOR SALE!

roadmaster_Tx
08-22-2006, 07:41 PM
To be honest with you, as far as the paint sealant goes, Please save your money and buy something that is equally durable. Popular choices around here are zaino, klasse sg, Jeffs Werkstatt to name a few. For $250 not only can you buy a durable sealant but you will also have money left over to buy prodcuts for your interior and tires/rims

The way to a keep a paint job in healthy condition is to follow proper washing/drying techniques, use good quality Microfiber towels and also to protect a vehicle with a sealent/ wax which everone you choose, same with the interior.

Hope this helps

OK folks, be gentle, I`m new here...

I just bought a new 2007 Jeep Compass last week. It`s steel blue metallic which just pops when it`s sunny out.

Here`s the deal. I`m obsessive with my vehicles and so I want the professional`s opinion. The dealer is selling a few products and I`m thinking of buying them. They`re $250 for one or $450 for two.

The products are:

1. Platinum Shield Paint Protection - This goes over the clearcoat ... it bonds to the surface, completely sealing the paint. It will create a smooth, durable finish that protects your vehicle against the harsh Canadian environment. This long lasting sealant protects and enhances your vehicles clear coat with no requirement for waxing or reapplication.

Now that I have kids I don`t have the time anymore to wax and clean the cars like I used to. Given that they use lots of salt on the roads in the winter, this sounds like it will help slow down the formation of rust and keep the Jeep shiny all year round. Plus I won`t ever have to wax.

2. Platinum Shield Rust Protection - This consists of a rust inhibitor spray that seals your vehicle`s inner body metal surfaces and stops rust perforation from the inside out. The high-pressure spray apllication ensures that all inner body panels are treated without drillling any holes. It also includes a corrosion control module that consists of a pulse amplifier microproccessor that generates a repetitive pulse surface current... yadda... which protects areas such as the roof and inseams that conventional products can`t reach.

Well based on the brochure I`m pretty much sold on the paint protection. It is very appealing. But I`m also thinking of getting the rust spray to help stop rust from the inside out. I had a 1998 F-150 that started rusting within 2 years in the door seams due to a factory defect. I want to eliminate pretty much any chance of rust on my new vechicle, and now is the time to do it.

I saw a 1990 Oldsmobile boat yesterday that was suprisingly not rusty. It had just a little it of surface rust. I noticed a sticker in the back window about rust guard. So if that product held up extremely well for 25 years, then maybe it`s not so bad.

Thoughts/opinions???? Keep in mind I don`t have the time anymore to do regular waxing. Washing yes, waxing/detailing, no. I`m looking for experiences with the products. Or... if there is a similar product which is less than $250/$450, let me know.

Oh, by the way, here is the website:

http://www.firstcanadian.ca --> Go under the link "Protection Products"

Thanks!

Swanny007
08-22-2006, 07:51 PM
It sure sounds appealing guys... Not having to wax ever. I tried searching here and Google and I can`t find anyone that has said much about it. All I see is information on how to buy it.

The point is I don`t have the time anymore to be an*l about my washing, waxing, and detailing. So I want a simple solution.

roadmaster_Tx
08-22-2006, 07:55 PM
It sure sounds appealing guys... Not having to wax ever. I tried searching here and Google and I can`t find anyone that has said much about it. All I see is information on how to buy it.

The point is I don`t have the time anymore to be an*l about my washing, waxing, and detailing. So I want a simple solution.

If you read the fine print on some of these sealnts, you will still have to do some maintanence on the car i.e regular washes etc. Is your car alwasy parked outside? or is it a garaged if so, i suggest you go to this website, wwww.zainostore.com, IMO this is one of the most durable sealants out there. On my cars 3 coats lasted me a good 7months, and if you are to busy to apply it, there are guys here who detail very well, see if you can find someone in your city and pay them the $250 and theyll do it for u

qadsan
08-22-2006, 08:54 PM
It sure sounds appealing guys... Not having to wax ever.

Of course it sounds appealing. Good marketing always sounds appealing and plays into peoples desires especially for products such as oil additives, spark plugs, weight loss programs, paint protections, etc. Their sealant may be a very good product, but if it were truly that good to where you`ll never need to wax again, then the people here at Autopia and other forums dedicated to detailing would be raving about it and using it. If there was a paint sealant regardless of the name that lasted more than two years, then you`d be reading about it here on these kinds of forums.

The fact is there is no free ride when it comes to paint care unless your car is a trailer queen. We`d all like to have a vehicle that never requires waxing or sealing again and I`d gladly pay the money for it because money is no problem for me, but there just isn`t a paint sealant product out there that lasts the life of the vehicle for normal day to day use. The process of caring for your paint is well understood and there are basic things you`ll need to do to maintain your car or RV`s finish no matter what products you choose. There are some very good products out there, but they will ALL fail at some point to where you`ll need to reapply them as part of the paint care process, unless you want your paint / finish to go unprotected.

Maybe the $250 is worth it if part of their process involves a complete wash, completely claying the vehicle to remove rail dust and other bonded contaminants, completely polishing the paint to remove below surface defects (swirls, scratches, etc) and then sealing it. Work like this takes time and time is money. Even the newest of cars come with defects in the paint no matter what car it is, so hopefully they`ll be doing a full workup on your paint for that price instead of simply applying a typical high quality sealant over the current finish.

abbeysdad
08-22-2006, 09:23 PM
Yeah, look very closely at the fine print and as mentioned, I believe you will be required to perform or have performed routine maintentance which is a periodic reapplication of the sealant product. Not to be compared with many details and detailers here, but you can get a car washed and `waxed` around here for $50-75. So you do that a couple times a year.

The rust proofing thing may be another story. Now maybe I`m very wrong, but I thought auto manufacturers were pretty much doing that and the days of Z-bart and the like were long gone??

ifoam
08-22-2006, 09:28 PM
1990 olds moblie til now is 15 years..not 25 ;)

ben54
08-22-2006, 09:29 PM
If you are truely "obsessed" with your vehicles, then a dealer offered paint protection plan may not be the way to go. However, if you do go that route, please report back to let us know the results as I`m curious to see how far paint protection systems have advanced since I last looked into it. My preference is to still find the time to wash and wax my cars. It`s like therapy. A clean car is a happy car.

runnerbl
08-22-2006, 09:36 PM
The old saying has is still true today....If it sounds to good to be true, then it usually is....Dealers make money on this CRAP because of those that say they don`t have the time. If a person`s life is too busy to not take an hour of so out to their day every couple weeks or so then they are really missing life....JMO...but nothing in life is that important...I don`t car if it is just washing a car...At least that is time for you to forget the hustle and bustle...You can involve your kids in the process.....They can help wash, vaccum, etc....They are going to spend approximately a $1 for the this lifetime sealant they are going to put on your car....Think long and hard about it....

You indicated your older truck started rusting after 2 years...that was paint defect, which is covered under warranty....Rust protection wouldn`t have prevented that either...If you would have had it on there I guarantee you that the dealer would have said the protection doesn`t protect against paint defects.....

Dealers don`t make as much on vehicles as they use to thanks to the internet...they make their money on upsales...This is exactly what they are trying to do to you....Their out of pocket cost is under $10...you figure the profit margin...