PDA

View Full Version : Clay question

roadster
08-22-2006, 07:01 AM
Just applied 2 coats of Klasse AOI and 2 of sealant + 2 coats of S100 to my coupe. Does periodic claying destroy or take off the Klasse and S100 please?

Also, I sent a great deal of time cleaning the seat belts (with a heavy duty shampoo and water....did a great job) without taking them out of the car....used a plastic drop cloth to keep the car dry. Is there a simple recommended cloth protectorant that can be applied to the belt fabric to possibly keep them clean fro a longer period of time?

While writing I was thinkiing and I might have answered my own question on the seat belts....3M used to make a frabric protector....is there a more recommended product?

Thanks,

:usa

Nic

Milestones
08-22-2006, 07:14 AM
Some of the "fine" clays like the Sonus Ultra Fine are supposed to be mild enough not to remove LSPs.

IMO even a mild clay is going to compromise a sealant/wax somewhat and I wouldn`t count on the continued durability of your sealant or S100 after using any clay.

My guess is that even a mild clay would remove all of the S100 and would compromise a good bit of your sealant as well.

The safe thing to do is to apply some additional wax/sealant protection after any claying - others might feel differently, but that`s my opinion.

a.k.a. Patrick
08-22-2006, 11:14 AM
The safe thing to do is to apply some additional wax/sealant protection after any claying

Sound advice also! I agree.

abbeysdad
08-22-2006, 11:17 AM
I`d suggest that if you have a really good LSP, you shouldn`t need to clay since the stuff you`d need to clay for just won`t stick... and when it is time to clay, it`s time to reapply your LSP.

Accumulator
08-22-2006, 12:20 PM
Noting that I spot-clay at every wash, IMO it`ll depend on how you clay and how healthy your existing LSP is. Those two variables are *so* variable that I`ve kinda gotten away from offering cut-and-dried advice about this.

If you have numerous layers of KSG and/or a relatively fresh coat of wax on it, and you clay very gently with the Sonus green, you won`t compromise your LSP; this is what I do all the time.

But even with the Sonus green, some waxes like P21S/Souveran/etc. are pretty fragile...so I`d probably reapply if I had the time (and it doesn`t take long to do those waxes). OTOH, if you use the Sonus green on layered KSG or a wax like #16 or Collinite, I would *not* bother reapplying. I`ve clayed layered KSG many, many times without compromising it.

abbeysdad- I find it surprising how much contamination *does* stick to my LSPs, even when they`re healthy and even slick ones like UPP. Could be because of my ultra-gentle wash regimens, but I`m always kinda :eek: about all the stuff my claying cleans off :nixweiss

roadster
08-22-2006, 07:31 PM
Thanks all for the replies. I am not totally sure what LSP stands for, but I assume it is my efforts/results of applying the Klasse AOI and the SG. I really appreciate everyones suggestions. Since I have not clayed yet I think I will order some of the Sonus Green and just try that lightly. The car has been under the carport and under an expensive car cover for the most part (maybe exposed to the elements not more than 1 to 2 months total in a year and a half since application. Again thanks,

Nic