PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Collinite 845 ...

imported_02ZTSfocus
08-21-2006, 12:25 PM
Well I decided against the Zaino system, to get everything I would need was out of my budget. For now I decided to pick up a bottle of Collinite #845 for 15$ from http://www.mactecllc.com/

From what I hear the 845 is more than presentable in terms of appearance and the durability is 2nd to none. I absolutely love how the Adams Butter Wax looks on my car, but durability is a problem. Could I mix the BW with the #845 and increase the optical properties AND increase durability?

In theory, I figured that the appearance of the mixture would be less than BW by itself, but better than #845 alone. Durability would be less than #845 alone but substantially better than BW alone.

I haven`t received the #845 yet, so its possible I will be happy with the appearance of the #845 and wont have to bother mixing but its still something I would like to try.

velobard
08-21-2006, 12:42 PM
Don`t know about mixing, I suppose you could always give it a shot and report back how it turned out. The conventional and fairly common route would be to use 845, then top that with whatever less durable stuff you prefer the look of.

wannafbody
08-21-2006, 01:29 PM
I wouldn`t mix them. Use 845 as a base and top with Adams or Duragloss AW

imported_steveo3002
08-21-2006, 02:46 PM
i would also go with 845 then top it.....mixing will ruin the qualitys of both waxes

mblgjr
08-21-2006, 05:04 PM
I wouldn`t mix them.

Just put something on top of the Collinite to improve the looks.

The Adams` BW is good looking, but so weak in durability. Clearkote CMW looks virtually the same (if not better) and lasts a touch over three months.

01bluecls
08-21-2006, 05:48 PM
I mixed 50/50 IW and RMG..I know RMG will affect the durability, but IW`s ease of use and durability with RMG deepening affects made the Black BMW I used it on SOAKING WET. Yet to determine durability, but I will see in a month or so, on my neighbors car that I applied it on, how its holding up.

imported_02ZTSfocus
08-21-2006, 09:48 PM
I guess this means an experiment! lol

This Saturday I`m planning on doing a full-out detail, I will tape off three sections of my hood and apply the mixture and the individual waxes on separate areas. I don`t have the greatest camera in the world, but it should be enough to be able to make comparisons of the three.

Apparently I`m not the only person who isn`t happy with the durability of BW. With 2 coats on my car, it will last maybe 3-4 weeks (judged on water-beading ability). When the wax is first put on it looks amazing, it is crystal clear and has quite a bit of depth, but within 2 weeks it starts to loose its clarity and at 4 weeks the water lays on the paint with absolutely no beading at all.

Ive used ~6 other waxes and the BW by far looks the best, but has the worst durability of any that Ive used.

Thank you for all the replies and suggestions :hifive:

mikebai1990
08-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Regarding shine and durability, what`s the difference between topping good looking LSP over Collinite as opposed to Collinite over good looking LSP?

Jordan@DD
08-21-2006, 10:18 PM
I mixed 50/50 IW and RMG..I know RMG will affect the durability, but IW`s ease of use and durability with RMG deepening affects made the Black BMW I used it on SOAKING WET. Yet to determine durability, but I will see in a month or so, on my neighbors car that I applied it on, how its holding up.

Honestly RMG is the KEY to Jet Black, too bad its taken this long to discover.

Jordan

Accumulator
08-22-2006, 01:11 PM
Regarding shine and durability, what`s the difference between topping good looking LSP over Collinite as opposed to Collinite over good looking LSP?

The rule-of-thumb is that you want the most durable product in direct contact with the paint and the best looking product in direct contact with your vision.

Any appearance benefits from the "good looking" one would be muted by putting something over top of.

The idea is that you can keep redoing that presumably less durable "beauty product" while the more durable stuff stays on the paint, providing long-term protection while the topper gets degraded/refreshed in an ongoing cycle.