PDA

View Full Version : Griot microfiber wash mitt

MSOsr
08-19-2006, 01:17 PM
I took a road trip in my 350Z this week and it got reasonably dirty (rained on, too). I decided to try the Griot Garage microfiber wash mitt I just received (you get 2 -- one orange and the other "ricer" lime green). They have microfiber "mop dreadlocks" hanging all around the mitt surface.

I made up a bucket of QEW and applied it with the green mitt. It`s quite heavy when wet, so significant squeezing is necessary before wiping down the car. The mitt has no "thumb", so you can put your hand in it and use all parts of the mitt surface.

When completed, the QEW bucket water was almost black, but there was no discoloration of the wash mitt itself. I was surprised it stayed so clean when doing the car.

This was my first effort with the mitt, and I was pleased with its performance. The only downside is it has no loop to hang the mitt to dry (I just cut a small hole in the elastic wrist band with side cutters).

Anyone else try this mitt?

Kenney
08-19-2006, 02:02 PM
I usually dry my washmits in the dryer on the lowest heat setting possible. I use sheepskin mitts and they have held up very well ( I get about 6+ months out of each one). Since your mit is microfiber, I see no reason why you cannot just dry it (very very low heat setting), just like a mf towel.

AkronSi
08-20-2006, 05:44 PM
I have a couple of mitts like that from Target (vroom brand). I like them alot. I usually hang mine from a mop that is hung horizontally in my storage unit, but I think drying it would be fine as well.

Setec Astronomy
08-20-2006, 06:43 PM
I think you`re likely to find some pretty similar muppet-head mitts/pads at Target and Walmart, FWIW. I just picked up another pad on sale at Target today for $2.49...orange dreadlocks on one side gray MF on the other.

MSOsr
08-21-2006, 11:08 AM
My wife just called me and said they have them at Super Walmart. And guess what? Two there are about $3.50 less than Griot, with no shipping either! :doh

nonwelder
08-21-2006, 02:14 PM
Are these safe enough to wash with? I liked the wool mitts from Target, but can`t find them by me anymore.

Boooooo..

MSOsr
08-22-2006, 03:17 PM
Seemed very soft to me. I had been using wool mitts from Costco, but these feel much softer......and, as I mentioned above, it didn`t seem to get as dirty as the wool mitt does.

AkronSi
08-23-2006, 05:24 PM
Are these safe enough to wash with? I liked the wool mitts from Target, but can`t find them by me anymore.

Boooooo..

I too really liked the wool mitts from Target. I bought the microfiber mitt partly because I saw them in the Griot`s catalog, and partly because I really needed a new mitt. I`ve been very pleased with them. In fact, I think like them better than the wool mitts.

Pennypacker
08-24-2006, 01:41 AM
I tried the Griot`s mf mitts a while back and noticed that the lime-colored one caused my rinse water to turn green. I was kinda turned off of them after that and reverted back to my seasponge and (naturally-colored) sheepskin mitts. I do, however, like the Griot`s sheepskin mitt. It can get sort of "grabby` with the dirt, but is one of the best feeling mitts when it`s loaded with soap. Feels really substantial..very different from any other mitt I`ve tried (you definitely pay the dineros for it, though).

MSOsr
08-24-2006, 07:19 PM
I imagine if you wash the mitt a couple of times, whatever dye that`s "loose" will come out......I QEWed my car and didn`t notice anything out of the ordinary in the bucket.

LeadingEdgeDetail
08-24-2006, 11:46 PM
Its just too damn heavy for me! I had a sore wrist after washing 2 cars, whereas I`ve NEVER gotten sore from over 5 years of washing...

I`ll stick with my sheepskin :secret

BigAl3
08-25-2006, 12:10 AM
I liked the wool mitts from Target, but can`t find them by me anymore.

i`ve noticed this too, as i`ve went to several different targets (not for that purpose) and didn`t see them... :nixweiss

MSOsr
08-25-2006, 10:21 PM
Its just too damn heavy for me! I had a sore wrist after washing 2 cars, whereas I`ve NEVER gotten sore from over 5 years of washing...

I`ll stick with my sheepskin :secret

It certainly is heavy, but with no thumb section, it`s about the only wash mitt that I would consider putting my hand into (rather than just dragging across the surface).