PDA

View Full Version : what is wrong with this paint???

imported_paradigm
08-18-2006, 08:53 PM
i have just started working on a 1999 isuzu rodeo...black. using DACP and SSR-1...pretty happy with the DACP except it is a lot harder to remove after finishing than the SSR-2.5 i`m used to.

anyway, after a first pass on the hood, i saw THIS:

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/paradigmy2k/1999%20isuzu%20rodeo/after_rodeo_hood1Large.jpg

what are those specs?!? i started to freak out thinking i did something...dirty pad...something...but then noticed they are everywhere on the hood and quarter panels. the paint is completely smooth...they look like thin, tiny grains of rice under the clear or something.

here are some side-by-side before and afters on one of the front quarter panels:

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/paradigmy2k/1999%20isuzu%20rodeo/before_after_rodeo_quarterpanel2Lar.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/paradigmy2k/1999%20isuzu%20rodeo/before_after_rodeo_quarterpanel1Lar.jpg

you can see the specs on the before side...they just stand out a lot more on the polished side. ugh. i just called the owner and had him check his email so he knew what was going on...he said it hasn`t been waxed for over a year, etc.

????

velobard
08-18-2006, 09:00 PM
Have you tried clay?

stilez
08-18-2006, 09:02 PM
Bubbling clearcoat.

I had it on my Integra from a bad repaint on my one pillar. The only option is to wetsand.

I would steer clear of that because you don`t know how much clear there is under that.

imported_paradigm
08-18-2006, 09:19 PM
i clayed all of the areas pictured prior to polishing...and it feels completely smooth. there are a handful of rust spots on the hood...so i guess it is indeed clear bubbling. :(

yeah, i`ve never wetsanded before and won`t start with this one!

eek!

velobard
08-18-2006, 09:51 PM
Bubbling clearcoat.

Sean, how long did this take to show up on your car?

stilez
08-18-2006, 10:10 PM
Sean, how long did this take to show up on your car?

On my Integra, it showed up roughly after a year. It never went away from claying/polishing and being on a pillar, I never attempted to wetsand it. However, that is my understanding of how to repair it.

velobard
08-19-2006, 12:16 AM
On my Integra, it showed up roughly after a year. It never went away from claying/polishing and being on a pillar, I never attempted to wetsand it. However, that is my understanding of how to repair it.

Any idea what causes it?

Pittssteelers
08-19-2006, 06:50 AM
Any idea what causes it?Bubbling is caused by the solvent in the paint evaporating at an improper pace. Usually, in my experience, this is caused by the customer waxing the fresh paint too early after the re-paint. See, if you wax the fresh paint, it keeps the paint from `breathing` and this can happen...

Just my 2 cents.

stilez
08-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Bubbling is caused by the solvent in the paint evaporating at an improper pace. Usually, in my experience, this is caused by the customer waxing the fresh paint too early after the re-paint. See, if you wax the fresh paint, it keeps the paint from `breathing` and this can happen...

Just my 2 cents.

I waited a full month (as per recommendation) to wax after being painted.

The body shop did use a heavy glaze though...I`m not sure.

LeadingEdgeDetail
08-19-2006, 05:33 PM
It could also be from sand/gravel at some point in time... Even a dumptruck full of sand driving by your car can do enough harm to cause irreversible damage :mad:

Pittssteelers
08-20-2006, 11:55 AM
I waited a full month (as per recommendation) to wax after being painted.

The body shop did use a heavy glaze though...I`m not sure.Heavy Glaze? They should know better! A `heavy glaze` at least in my experience is loaded with silicon. They have might have just waxed the finish.

Pittssteelers
08-20-2006, 11:57 AM
It could also be from sand/gravel at some point in time... Even a dumptruck full of sand driving by your car can do enough harm to cause irreversible damage :mad:LOL! That was going to be my next suggestion. I painted a car that I owned when I was a teenager. About 2 weeks latter, I was stuck behind a dump truck filled with sand. You should have seen what it did to the paint job. Darn shame!

imported_paradigm
08-20-2006, 12:04 PM
if it was caused from an external source (sand, dust, etc) then i would think you could feel it and/or repair it since it`s on the top of the clear coat...but this is definitely inside the paint layers. i think the first explanation (clear bubbling) explains it.

i asked the owner if it had been repainted and he said no...bought it new in 1999.

i`d hate to have fresh paint on my ride and get stuck behind a dump truck though!!!