PDA

View Full Version : whats a good substitute?

sftempest66
08-18-2006, 04:54 PM
Hey guys, well My optimum compound/polish are almost all of the way gone, and I was wondering if there were any other product lines that were similar to these that I could try, I`m almost positive that I want to keep the optimum polish, this and a white pad at speed 6 on my pc finishes so nice that I dont really want to get rid of it, but how is the menzerna line (I`ve heard a lot of good things) and what would be similar to the polish if I decided to get another product...how about Klasse all in one, (i`ve seen many people using this), and what about a substitute for the compound, not really too keen on the optimum compound, it is nice but hazes a lot and its very hard to get off....SSR 2.5 any better? any other suggestiosn? any help would be appreciated!

sftempest66
08-20-2006, 09:25 PM
63 views? no replys? anyone? :sadpace:

imported_paradigm
08-20-2006, 09:46 PM
my OP/OC/OHC arrives this week...after i try it i can let you know how it compares to the ssr-2.5 i`ve been using.

sftempest66
08-20-2006, 10:22 PM
my OP/OC/OHC arrives this week...after i try it i can let you know how it compares to the ssr-2.5 i`ve been using.

thanks man, anyone else got any input?

imported_Picus
08-20-2006, 10:32 PM
Hrm, alright I will try. I will assume you`re working via PC. OC is a little more aggressive than Menz IP, aside from their similar bite they are very differeny. OC will work in sun, works much longer, will not dust, and can be slightly difficult to remove. IP flashes quickly, is hideous in the sun, can dust (if you don`t add RMG), but is very easy to remove, and tends not to haze. SSR2.5 is ok in the sun but it will dust regardless, imo it is a little too prone to hazing for the marring it removes, it is easy to wipe away. Another option that I`ve recently tried is Hi-Temps Heavy Cut Leveller (aka 357 magnum), as far as I can tell (I have not tested this thoroughly) it has slightly more cut than IP/OC, but is less prone to hazing, will work forever, will not dust, but can be difficult to remove. There is also Megs #83, though I am not a big fan of it.

As for OP, the similar polishes are FPII, SSR1 (or 2), Smooth Cut (hi temp light cut polish) and #80. My fav personally is FPII; good amount of cut, finishes amazingly clear, doesn`t dust, easy to remove. I do not have the new OP, but for me the old OP was a solid polish, but with FPII it was pretty much mitigated to being mixed with OC. Smooth Cut looks like it`ll be a contender, a little more bite than FPII, finishes super smooth, won`t dust but can be a little hard to remove. A nice added benefit is it`ll spread forever. #80 is also a good finishing polish - similar cut to smooth cut (a bit more than fpii and op, imo), finishes down well, a little goes a long way and has some slight filling ability (good or bad depending on how you look at it).

So ya, I don`t really have favorites. Just favorites for each different situation. If I was being beaten and told to pick one line I`d pick the Menzerna`s, though the hi-temps might give them a run (more testing required).

jdlierle
08-20-2006, 11:22 PM
The new OP polish is supposed to have a little more bite.

If you want a little more options, try a variety of pad selections. When you say white pad, it really doesn`t mean anything unless you say what mfg and what it is, aggressive, medium, polishing, etc. There are a variety of pad mfgs out there with there own pad combos and color choices.

I found the optimum line the most easy to use. Not always getting the best results.

I have PB 2.5, but I have had problems with it pitting my paint. Maybe I had problems with my pads (megs and propels pads) but I have seen similar problems with other people posting on here with this product and other professional detailer in person so I have decided not to use this product although many people love PB polishes.

I like Meg speed glaze 80 for its shine but it does not remove hard to get swirls, its Meg DACP 83 that gets swirls out, but it is a PITA (very difficult!!!!) product to work with a PC, and I hardly work with it.

Optimum polishes like OP, OC, or OHP are my favorites.

I also like to use Propel Pads, especially their p2 pads with a 6" backing plate, they have a whole variety of different pads which will make the polishes work differently.

I especially like the orange pad which will get out most swirls with out marring with OP or OP mixed with OHC.

You can buy these pads reasonably at http://www.exceldetail.com/ from Patrick

He also is selling a new line of pads that are made from the famous pad maker Lake Country Mfg., called ExcelErasure that use the standard 5" backing plate.

I would like to try them, but I am afraid my standard Propel2 will not wear out for quite some time even on a rotary and /or PC usage.

Am I suggesting you to go buy a bunch of polish and a bunch of pads, hell no.

But what I am saying is that a selection of pads, maybe 1 or 2 more might help you in your detailing more than buying a bunch of different polishes. No matter what mfg you choose in pads.

I found it useful to buy an aggressive pad to do my work ( getting swirls out), and than if it marrs, than use a softer pad to polish, and than another one to put your LSP on.

Your Optimum Polish is a great polish to have. There are so many polishes to have, and great reasons to have them, but I would first have OP in my supply. It`s a great starting point.

Hope I didn`t confuse the situation. I have gotten to try quite a few different polishes, and none so far are miracle workers. It`s just hard work, (and it`s nice being able to pick from pads and different chemicals because sometimes they react a little different to each situation). Being on a budget, don`t get caught up in picking the product that are flavor of the month.

PS If the Optimum compound is too strong, you can always mix it with the OP. I have heard that from a few good detailer and also tried that with OP and OHC.

sftempest66
08-21-2006, 02:17 PM
Thankyou guys! well it seems to me like the optimum polish is a keeper, maybe instead of trying just OP, I`ll mix it 50/50 OC/OP and see how it turns out on a less agressive pad but a higher speed, but as for the next products I`ll try, maybe I`ll try some of the menzerna products, I`ve heard lots of good things about them and maybe instead of ordering more of OC next time, I`ll order some SSR 2.5 and see how that works out compared to the OC, I dont know though, the OC and the OP are so good that I`m not sure if I want to try a different product line lol

mblgjr
08-21-2006, 05:24 PM
The Optimium products will be replacing my SSR`s as soon as I run out.

I have to work in the sun most of the time, so that rules out the Menzerna.

Good luck with your decision.