PDA

View Full Version : Paint dulling question...

Cosmom3
08-18-2006, 02:10 PM
Somthing Ive often wondered is just why some panels fade and other are just fine? Ive tried explaining to some customers (ussually with red cars) this could be from a panel be repainted or more than ussual exposure to sun light. But when thinking about it, that still doesnt make sense. If the sun was to hit the car it just wouldnt effect 1 or 2 panels, it would effect the whole car is different shades.

So what is the scientific explanation for all this nonsense? :secret

Hope you guys understand what Im trying to explain, because I cant find any pictures :( :sosad

Thanks for any help :hifive:

deadlock32
08-18-2006, 02:25 PM
Most of the time, the plastic panels will fade faster because of the flex agents that are added to paint plastic panels.

But you are correct in saying certain panels that get regular doeses of sun (picking the same parking spot at the same time for years) will show harsher fading as well.

Cosmom3
08-18-2006, 03:48 PM
Thanks for your response. Thats a well thought out opinion. Somtimes Ive had this same problem with regular panels (no plastic), but that still makes sense. Even than, I still dont understand why there isnt a more evenly distributed fadding in the paint...

Maybe some1 can elaborate this for me :woot2:

TigerMike
08-18-2006, 04:00 PM
Typically, the horizontal panels suffer the worst of the environmental effects and UV. When you see old beaters on the road, it is nearly always the hood, roof, and trunk that are completely wasted and oxidized, whereas the sides are in better shape. Why? I`d say because the horizontal panels collect and pool acid rain, the harshest UV rays, road debrit, fallout, etc, moreso than the vertical panels. These effects don`t happen overnight and usually occur over a period of years.

Think about it in other terms. When you are outside sitting in the sun, say on bleachers, for an extended period, what usually gets burnt the fastest? The tops of your knees legs/knees, with the sides usually fine. Why? They are pointed towards the sun, same with horizontal panels on a car. Effects are more accelerated on your skin because it is much more fragile than metal and paint.

Here`s a quick bleep of what I`m referring to...

http://www.topoftheline.com/oxidation.html

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-oxidation.htm

Accumulator
08-18-2006, 06:27 PM
Yeah, seemingly insignificant differences in sun exposure can sure add up over time. When I parked the (then all single stage) Volvo outside, the panels that faced the sun the most suffered the most with the horizontal surfaces getting the most damage. I had to adjust the detailing to allow for it.

Also consider the possiblility of repaints, which generally don`t age as well as the factory paint.

Cosmom3
08-18-2006, 11:08 PM
Ive brought maybe 5 cars (with this problem) 100% back to life. And Ive often explain that sun exposure will consistantly make your top panels show their age much faster.

All good points above, thanks :hifive: