PDA

View Full Version : Any Reason Not to Use Meguiar’s Scratch-X on Large Scale?

marks70
08-18-2006, 11:41 AM
I just purchased a 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP with only 4,000 miles on it. Unfortunately, I just found out that the entire right side of the car has been repainted. While it looks good, the clear coat has a lot of swirls and scratches. They seem to be pretty light, and instead of paying someone to polish them out (getting quotes of about $150), I thought I`d try doing it myself using Meguiar’s Scratch-X by hand. At this time, I don`t want to buy a porter cable or similar.

Is there any reason I should not do the entire right side using Scratch-X? Is there any way this could do more harm than good? Assuming that it is okay to use Scratch-X for such a project, is a microfiber towel a good applicator to use and what do you recommend applying afterwards?

Joshua312
08-18-2006, 11:46 AM
It really depends on the color of your vehicle, how deep the swirls are, etc...$150 sounds like a good deal, plus then your car will be perfectly spotless and easier for you to maintain when you can start off with a clean slate. You`re really going to have to work hard to get them out with your hand. :( Where are you located? There may be an autopian nearby.

marks70
08-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Thanks. Actually, that would be FANTASTIC if I could find an autopian in my area. I`m in the Tri-Valley area of the San Francisco Bay Area.

Pb2theMax
08-18-2006, 12:20 PM
Yeah, get a pro to do it, especially on a BMW. IMO, ScratchX is only good for small areas. It sounds like you need a full polish job with a good buffer.

mblgjr
08-18-2006, 04:11 PM
If you have patience it can be done, however it would be best to buff it down by machine.

See if there is a fellow board member in your area.

I doubt that you`ll ever be happy with doing the Scratch X by hand.

imported_mburnickas
08-18-2006, 04:13 PM
Why not try OC with a rotary? The only problem with Scratch X is it has lots of fills. Then again, fillers might be what you want.

marks70
08-18-2006, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I`m not too familiar with this board. What`s the best way to locate an autopian in my area on here?

qadsan
08-18-2006, 04:57 PM
ScratchX will work just fine if you`ve got lots of time and lots of energy to properly work this product. You`ll want to work small areas at a time such as a 6" X 6" area or smaller. It does not matter if you work the product in a straight line or in circular motions, but you`ll need to use some pressure as you briskly work this product against a `clean` finish. Keep working the SctachX until it begins to turn more clear and dissapear. At this point, you`ll probably need to repeat this process 2 or 3 more times before things start to look greatly improved.

After each process, you may want to wipe down the worked area real good to remove any fillers so you can see the true finish and determine if you`ve got more work ahead of you or not. ScratchX definitely requires `much` more elbow grease / passion to properly work than using a d/a or rotary with the appropriate polish or compound, but it does work.

Before doing any of this, make sure you first thoroughly wash & dry the areas you intend to polish and then clay them before using ScratchX so you`re not working above-surface bonded contaminatns into the finish.

braindead
08-19-2006, 06:45 AM
No reason why you couldn`t go ahead with your plan...

It will take some time & a little pain... :2thumbs:

Before I purchased a RO, I did use scratchX on cars that needed a decent polish, no problems. Have done a whole car & various panels with it.

Give it a shot, see how it looks & if you don`t like it you can still pay someone to do it.

Ciao

:getdown :getdown :getdown

FidoAUTO
08-19-2006, 09:31 AM
Any Reason Not to Use Meguiar’s Scratch-X on Large Scale?

Yeah!!... cuz it sucks!! lol... but all joking aside...

For what you have it definately sounds like you are in need of a more aggressive compound and a more experienced person with a Rotary Buffer.......... you will barely cause a dent doing it with that product and by hand..... oh... and its true scratch-x has fillers so that means that you are going to have a `visual illusion`.... not the actual finish!!

salty
08-19-2006, 11:42 AM
For the $150 you pay someone, you could set yourself up with a PC and take care of your paint for many years. Be careful though, you might become addicted.