PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy Black

Taubs
08-18-2006, 08:15 AM
Following up on the earlier advice of the forum, I have removed my swirl marks with SSR 2.5 on a polishing pad,

Following with SSR1 on a polish pad

CG EZ Glaze on a finishing pad

and CG M-Seal on a finishing pad

Althout the finish is amazingly smooth, it doesnt seem to have the glossy depth.

Did I not polish out the 2.5 enough??

What are the thoughts?

Again, really appreciate all the advice.. You guys rock.

Bigpoppa3346
08-18-2006, 08:38 AM
Is it cloudy looking or is it just lacking depth? Mabey you just didn`t polish out the 2.5 enough and it left some hazing, but SSR 1 should have taken care of that.....hmm.

Taubs
08-18-2006, 09:11 AM
I guess its lacking depth.. The paint is incredibly smooth, and now without swirls, but it doesnt have the glossy wet look and deep black color that it had before (albeit with minor swirls)

awahl63
08-18-2006, 10:05 AM
I didn`t really like the look of M-Seal especially on dark colors but the glaze should have made it look pretty deep and black

sspeer
08-18-2006, 11:25 AM
Really interested in this as I was planning on using some CG compunds and Danase`s version of that glaze on my black..

What were you using before? Maybe try topping the MSeal with that

Bigpoppa3346
08-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Mabey you just didn`t have the products to give you a dripping wet deep shine. What other glazes/LSP`s do you have?

Taubs
08-18-2006, 11:55 AM
Thats really the only Glaze I have - looking for recommendations on BMW metallic black..

As LSP`s I have

PB EX-P

Nattys Blue

P21S

Megs NXT

A small amount of Z2 and ZFX

Z8

recommended combinations?

Thanks again

sspeer
08-18-2006, 01:15 PM
I`d probably just experiment on the hood with what you have.. make some 2x2 sections of the different tops.

Does the look of M Seal improve over time?

Eliot Ness
08-18-2006, 02:26 PM
When you are finished polishing, and have done so correctly, your paint should look very good even before you put a wax, glaze, or sealer on it. My guess is you didn`t work the 2.5 long enough to break down properly. As you work the SSR polishes the abrasives break down (diminish) to leave a smoother finish.

I would pick a panel and go over it some more with your SSR 1, or possibly do SSR 2.5 and SSR 1 both over again making sure you let the polish break down.

Below is a quote from Steve at Poorboy`s about how to work the SSR polishes:
If you can see the swirls in all lighting, then start with SSR2.5 on a polishing pad...prime the pad with product not water, making a circle on the pad and then rubbing it into the pad. Then make another small circle around the pad, tap it to the car, start the pc on the car at a low speed and spread over area to be worked. Then turn it up to about 5-5.5 and work it until it just about disappears. Wipe off and check what you have ...repeat if needed. Then change pads and use the SSR1 the same way. (I prefer SSR1 at speeds of 4-5) and continue until you are happy.

Taubs
08-19-2006, 04:57 AM
Thanks all for the advice. I went over the area again with the SSR1 just to be sure and then used PB EX-P instead of the CG M-Seal, topping it off with P21s.

I`m much happier now with the depth and gloss, so it was either hazing from the SSR2.5 or the M-Seal.. Not sure which :-)

However... The "diminished" minor swirls are visible again under bright light, can see they are polished now (rounded) so I guess I take my choice..

Swirl masking - M-Seal

Gloss / depth- EX-P

I guess anyone elses mileage may vary on this.

Eliot Ness
08-19-2006, 07:58 AM
......However... The "diminished" minor swirls are visible again under bright light, can see they are polished now (rounded) so I guess I take my choice.......You will have better luck getting rid of those swirls if you use 2.5 with an orange or yellow pad (more cut than the polishing pad). If you use a yellow pad you might have to follow up with 2.5 on a polishing pad before you hit it with SSR1.

sspeer
08-19-2006, 11:15 AM
My guess is that the extra pass with the SSR1 was more of a factor versus the LSP. Did you try using M Seal again after the second pass?

Taubs
08-20-2006, 04:17 PM
I`ve now tried same process, different panel..

The difference does appear to be in the sealant. (Though this panel did have less marring to start with)

EX-P seems to finish it very deep and glossy

M-Seal seems to be better at hiding the marring

I guess I have my answers :-)

Thanks again to all..

Taubs
08-24-2006, 03:01 PM
And I`ve made an even bigger improvement now.. After reading great things on the forum about Menzerna PO85RD I bought some.. refinishing with this, then the LSP as above, I can conclude that the prep was the key.. Under different light conditions, the M-Seal and the PB EX-P now look exactly the same. The PO85RD certainly worked the trick at getting rid of the micromarring.. The depth of the finish is now the best it has ever been.

sspeer
08-25-2006, 08:53 AM
Where did you pick up the PO85RD?