PDA

View Full Version : Super PolyShield......

shammyman
03-28-2005, 10:40 PM
Got a question for all you detailers out there. Ever used a product called Super PolyShield?? I was just contracted by my local Mercedes/BMW dealer to apply this to all their vehicles as they are sold within 30 days after vehicle is sold to the customer. Look it up on the internet if you have time. The polyshield goes on like a wax and buffs off very easily. The leather is treated with a leather conditioner and the carpets and floor mats are sprayed with a chemical to repel stains. Takes me about 1 1/2 hours to do the whole car. The sales people sell this as an "aftermarket" accessory for $699 and I`m paid $150 out of that. And it has really taken off. I had 8 of these applications again last week, not to mention my other clients I already maintain.

:fart

AMDin93103
03-28-2005, 11:21 PM
What does the dealer do for $550? Thats a pretty big comission for selling a service you complete. :confused: These products. . . . well, never mind.

JaredPointer
03-29-2005, 08:59 AM
This is the stuff that lasts for five years, right....... :nono I guess whatever puts food on the table. I would never advise a customer of mine to buy into the hype of this stuff. Why give the dealer $600 when they can buy UPP and do it themselves for $20. :dunno

shammyman
03-29-2005, 09:28 AM
I know exactly what you mean. To me, it`s just a gimmick to begin with but the ease of use to apply this stuff on brand spankin new vehicles is just too easy. Brand new off the showroom floor and it takes me minimum of 1 1/2 hrs to apply for $150 a pop. I didn`t mind doing it because it`s less time I`d be spending on a "dirty" car and makin a few bucks more on such an easy application.

It`s all a gimmick but a gimmick their payin me big bucks to apply. Let them worry about the possible blow back if the stuff doesn`t work and the customer gets pissed. They warrantee the stuff, I don`t. lololol :dancin

NYV6Coupe
03-29-2005, 10:12 AM
At $150 per, I suggest you laugh all the way to the back.

Hawaiianelement
03-29-2005, 05:44 PM
I`m glad you`re getting some of the green for their protection package instead of their lot boys. I say keep it up . Nothing like working on brand new bimmers all day.

Lucky guy..

Aloha
Jon

AMDin93103
03-29-2005, 08:08 PM
Does the fact that Polyshield is a gimmick and assuming that your company is attaching it`s name to the application bither any of your existing customers? Doesn`t it threaten the sanctity of the "genuine" detail jobs you perform?

In my opinion, this product/practice is a negative influence on how the general public views detailing in general. You have. . . say. . half of the consumers that know better than to purchase an over priced snake oil and the other half uninformed who think it will save them from having to pay an auto detailer for the life of the car. Those that fall into the latter category are the people who need to be educated on what our craft entails and how detailers can benefit their investment. I view this service as counterproductive to a profession that is already misreprepresented all over the place by splash and dash operations that call themselves a detail service and the local hacks. I chosse to take the uninformed and help them understand the value of what I (we) do and the reason you stay away from such gimmicks.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

gbackus
03-30-2005, 03:13 AM
The Audi/BMW/Porsche dealership out here has the same product, but it`s a 1 year protection plan, and although the price seems expensive, they will cover almost ANY paint dmg from bug and berry stains, to bird ```` stains, etc, basically giving you a $$$ repaint for the cost of whatever they charge for the warranty product. It also looks pretty decent and I`ve gotten 3+ months on duration from the samples I`ve gotten.

shammyman
03-30-2005, 09:07 AM
The Audi/BMW/Porsche dealership out here has the same product, but it`s a 1 year protection plan, and although the price seems expensive, they will cover almost ANY paint dmg from bug and berry stains, to bird ```` stains, etc, basically giving you a $$$ repaint for the cost of whatever they charge for the warranty product. It also looks pretty decent and I`ve gotten 3+ months on duration from the samples I`ve gotten.

I`ve been applying this for 3 months now and although I don`t consider it "snake oil" per-say.....I do believe it provides a certain amount of protection from the elements and trust it to do so, especially if the dealership is backing it 100%. They pay me for a service and I provide it. "Splash & Dash" service??? I think you may have that nose of yours stuck in that "detail bible" waaaaay to much. This isn`t brain surgery. Were cleaning vehicles, not removing grey matter from someone`s dome. You want to educate, feel free. I want to get paid for a service I provide. Thats all anybody wants to do. To be able to do it the best way possible with the quality and professionalism the consumer expects.

My 2 cents..................."snake oil"........(gimme a break)