PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions on proper products/order/application

smwiller
08-17-2006, 07:03 PM
I am preparing to detail my car for the first time (first true detail of any car ever!) and was hoping to get some feedback on the products, process and application I have in mind.

1. Wash with Sonus body shampoo using mf mitt, dry with mf towel

2. Clay with Sonus clay

3. Wash with Sonus body shampoo using mf mitt, dry with mf towel

4. Apply P21S paint cleaner with PC 7224 using white foam pad then buff with mf

5. Apply 3M Perfect It 3000 finishing glaze with PC 7224 using white foam pad then buff with mf

6. Klasse AIO with PC 7224 using white foam pad then buff with mf

7. Klasse HG sealant by hand using mf applicator then buff with mf

8. Apply P21S pure paste wax with PC 7224 using red foam pad then buff with mf

I plan on using P21S gel for the wheels, Lexol for the leather and rubber and flitx for metal.

Any guidance is appreciated, thanks.

Accumulator
08-18-2006, 01:06 PM
smwiller- Welcome to Autopia!

IMO your steps 4 and 5 are too similar and both could be improved by a different choice of products. It`s a matter of using the right products to maximize the return on your invested time and effort.

IMO you oughta use something other than the P21S GEPC. In my experience it`s too mild to justify machine polishing a car with the stuff. I haven`t used the PI-3000 FG so I can`t comment on it, but I`d suspect that it`d be almost the same as the GEPC.

When I use the Klasse twins, I like to precede them with polishes that don`t leave anything behind (as do the above). The AIO will just clean stuff off anyhow, often revealing left over, concealed imperfections.

I *always* precede the Klasse twins with the discontinued, but still available, 3m PI-III MG 05937. It`s effective and easy to use. If you can`t get that I`d go with something from Menzerna.

I`d apply a few layers of KSG before topping with the wax. If it`s not feasible to do multiple applications now, you can just add another one after each of the next few washes (this is what I often do).

Remember to apply the KSG *VERY* thin, so thin you can barely see it. No way to overstate how important this is.

Whichever products you end up using, I hope it all goes well.

petrong1186
09-08-2006, 08:08 PM
you said to use a polish that doesnt "leave anything behind." what polishes (besides the discontinued one) would you recommend before the application of Klasse AIO? thanks

-dp

604_Coast
09-08-2006, 11:14 PM
Though I won`t comment on the rest of it, your first step is very mild. If you have swirling or spider webbing, small scratches, etc...a white pad with no real abrasive polish isn`t going to correct anything. So unless your paint is perfect already might want to atleast try a Light Cut pad with maybe OP or OC.

abbeysdad
09-09-2006, 07:47 AM
you said to use a polish that doesnt "leave anything behind." what polishes (besides the discontinued one) would you recommend before the application of Klasse AIO? thanks

-dp

All polishes leave a residue that needs to be wiped down/off. There are different kinds of polishes. Chemical `polishes` are really cleaners that deep clean the paint. Like claying, it`s almost amazing what`s left behind after a thorough wash. But then road grime and contaminants over time are tough customers.

Then there are abrasive polishes. These sometimes contain aggregates that are designed to break down into ever smaller particles as they are worked by the polisher. Often these polishes, when used properly will yield a very nice result. Think of it almost like sanding with ever increasing finer sandpaper.

Compounds are often rather coarse and used with a cutting pad (and often a rotary polisher) are the most agressive and typically need to be followed with a much finer polish.

The combinations of compounds, polishes and pad densities (not to mention rotary vs. DA) are nearly endless - and then there are those that have experimented by blending different polishes and compounds to achieve desired results (e.g. the cutting power of one polish, the lubrication and working time of another as one example).

Polishing is almost like another art form.

Accumulator
09-09-2006, 12:25 PM
you said to use a polish that doesnt "leave anything behind." what polishes (besides the discontinued one) would you recommend before the application of Klasse AIO?

Menzerna and Optimum come to mind. But I`d call any local autobody/paint supply places and see if they still have some of the PI-III stuff on the shelf, the places near me still have plenty of it and it`s good stuff (by rotary, hand, or PC). Don`t let the "discontinued" part scare you off as it might be easy to find and it really is good stuff.

The two products to ask about (and don`t accept any substitutions, if they don`t have these then order something like the Menzerna) are:

3M PI-III Rubbing Compound pn 05933

3M PI-III Machine Glaze pn 05937

Don`t worry about the names, the "rubbing compound" isn`t what it sounds like and the "machine glaze" works great by hand and isn`t a "glaze". These are what I use before AIO.