PDA

View Full Version : Target customers

Pages : [1] 2

tooklean
03-28-2005, 10:13 PM
I`m fairly new to Detailing. I here an awful lot of discussion pertaining to finding certain types of customers that you want to serve. There is a community about 2 miles from my home. homes in this area start at about 200,000.00. I decided that I`m going to mainly focus on passing out flyers and directeting the majority of my promotionals in this area is this what is meant by finding your target audience? Any feedback would be most helpful.

pappy
03-28-2005, 11:27 PM
finding ur target audience is finding people who look to spend what your prices are.

so if you are looking for like 500 bucks for a wash and wax...u better go to hollywood....

so kinda look at ur prices and then look at what kind of houses are in a neigborhood or their cars. kinda match it up. if your in a middle class neiborhood then they probally wont spend more then 100 bucks for a wash wax type thing.

gentletouch
03-29-2005, 11:25 AM
Never underestimate the small people. They may know some BIG people. Remember, anyone with a car, truck, van, SUV, etc. is a potential customer.

tooklean
03-29-2005, 12:18 PM
Very good point. My sevice is meant to serve anyone with a car but its like fishing you have to target an area where you would like to be and stick to it for a while before moving into something elese. I just feel that my chances may be better with the folks who appear to have a little more to spend.

joyriide1113
03-29-2005, 12:51 PM
ha! i live in miami and u`d think people here wouldnt mind spending 130bucks on a detail. wrong! they drive 100k or more cars. yet when told the price back away. miami has way way way tooo many rats washing cars and calling their services details. when all they do is wash apply some cheap wax and use rags.. i hate it. and then explaning a detail to them is worse then teaching an elderly person to log on the internet. oh well. i wish i new how approach people here with the idea of detailign their car and not scaring them away. ive tried using pictures of the cars ive done, but since most of the cars ive done are 2003 or more they say it looks like that because its new...

::Rant rant::

agentf1
03-29-2005, 01:38 PM
ha! i live in miami and u`d think people here wouldnt mind spending 130bucks on a detail. wrong! they drive 100k or more cars. yet when told the price back away. miami has way way way tooo many rats washing cars and calling their services details. when all they do is wash apply some cheap wax and use rags.. i hate it. and then explaning a detail to them is worse then teaching an elderly person to log on the internet. oh well. i wish i new how approach people here with the idea of detailign their car and not scaring them away. ive tried using pictures of the cars ive done, but since most of the cars ive done are 2003 or more they say it looks like that because its new...

::Rant rant::
Thats why yoiu need to get customers through word of mouth. I have always thought about doing it professionally but most people could care less about their cars and are super cheap when it comes to detailing.

gentletouch
03-29-2005, 03:57 PM
To add to the "small" people point...I put a flyer on a house with a rusted old car in the front and it looked as if the house was abandoned. I got a call from that house and turned out the elderly lady has a doctor son who got his cars done and so did another doctor and it snowballed from there. You never know???

JeffM
03-29-2005, 04:40 PM
Hey Joyride, i am up in the Vero Beach area, and we have that here.

The shops all say something like express detail, or something implying a service that is quick.

I drive by and slow down once and a while, they are speed washing cars, i couldnt tell if it was a sponge or not, but i cringed.

My friend has a 300z(nissan-whatever) anyways, he brings it to get "detailed", but i never really get into it with him.

Well, his car is 1 year old now, and looks like ass.....

I finally broke down and told him, "see these" "they are called swirl marks" "They shouldnt be here, if you get your car detailed every 3 months"

He said that he brought it to Nissan one time and "they did a really good job, but it only lasted 3 weeks and it looked like this again"

So the problem isnt the money, it is the public`s percieved value from spending that money.

If i were to start a pro detailing business, i would aim for the highest quality, and use "have you ever had your car detailed, just to have it only look good for 3 weeks?"

"Our techniques are superior, and our products last longer"

I for one would say, buy something black, and make sure it blings all the time.

I saw someone with detailing writted in like spray paint or something, and his vehicle looked like he was a construction worker ....

bermi23
03-29-2005, 04:58 PM
Hey Joyriide, I am in Naples Florida. I seen a lot of those lately here. I still do not how how some of this people can undercut prices the way they do. I had lost several customers because I would not lower my prices to compete with them. Where my wife works I offer more for the money yet they rather pay less and get a bad detail or get a half job like I say.

joyriide1113
03-29-2005, 07:32 PM
the worst was today. i was searching for a detail shop on the internet here in miami. i only found one detail business that actually had a banner, and didnt just show a number. the ad looked good, it said boat/plane/automobile detailing. i called to inquire on their services and maybe pass by to see their work (never know, maybe i could work part-time for them). so i call and the guys quick about it. he says his wash is 20bucks and details are 45bucks. i ask what comes with the details, he starts mentioning pressure wash and teflon. i asked if there is anything else he does and he ask like what. i told him how much to wash/clay/polish/seal plus interior. he said that for 140 he would wash/clay/teflon. i told him i would call him back.

so imagine. i guess "reflections" will probably never exist thanks to "car wash/ detailing" and "grand prix car wash details"

Thomas Dekany
03-29-2005, 11:53 PM
[QUOTE=joyriide1113]ha! i live in miami and u`d think people here wouldnt mind spending 130bucks on a detail. wrong! QUOTE]

Can`t you go to South beach and put business cards on those expensive cars owned by superstars? No flyer, but a pro looking card

joyriide1113
03-30-2005, 12:29 AM
probably. i mean. if i did make a flyer id make sure it was color/glossy paper/ with photos/ and good marketing. i would market it directly to german paints. make them feel better and in a way might persuade them to try me. hey if someone approached me and said i specialize in mini cooper maintenance id try them too.

CrobarCars
03-30-2005, 04:44 AM
[QUOTE=joyriide1113]ha! i live in miami and u`d think people here wouldnt mind spending 130bucks on a detail. wrong! QUOTE]

Can`t you go to South beach and put business cards on those expensive cars owned by superstars? No flyer, but a pro looking card

I can think of a few other places to put that card if your going to south beach! :naughty

Secret Chimp
04-04-2005, 03:58 PM
Here`s what I learned over the past few months.

If your customers threaten to get their cars washed by one of your illegitimate competitors, ask them a few questions. If it is price alone that makes their decisions, there is nothing you can do to keep them from buying the cheaper service. If you can clearly outline the added value of your service vs theirs, things like the fact that you are a legitimate business in the community that pays taxes that help support the schools and other community services, that you have insurance to protect your customers just in case something goes awry, that you will still be in business in 6 months time, your customers should begin to see why it is sometimes worth it to spend a few more $$`s.

The people who pay good $$ to have their cars detailed on a frequent basis are usually type A personalities. Find out where these people hang out, where they go for fun, and market them there. For instance, people who are really into their cars, are usually really into keeping up their appearance in general. Those people go to gyms and spas... Find people who have professions that are detail oriented. Bankers for instance live in a world that is highly regulated. This profession attracts people who thrive in that environment. Type A personalities.....

SC~

Secret Chimp
04-04-2005, 04:00 PM
hey if someone approached me and said i specialize in mini cooper maintenance id try them too.

haha.....Oddly enough, I drive an old school Mini as my business vehicle. As a result of that, and through my association with the local Mini and MINI clubs, I have a fair number of Mini`s and MINI`s to detail on a weekly basis. So marketing in this manner does work.