PDA

View Full Version : spilled some gas on paint.. advise?

silversx
08-16-2006, 11:44 PM
as i was taking the nozzle out.. a few big drops fell on the area below the tank and rolled down.. made a long stain about 4 inches straight down

i didn`t want to take paper towels to it so i drove off and after i got home two hours later.. i sprayed some qd in a mf towel and gently wiped the stained part.. the stain is gone

i probably won`t be able to wash until friday ..

will it continue to damage my paint now that I have wiped it with qd???????

thanks for any help :(

imported_truzoom
08-17-2006, 12:13 AM
You`re probably safe. There`s far worse things that can be on your paint and cause more damage in less time.

Black240SX
08-17-2006, 12:40 AM
Yeah, once the gas has evaporated the oily residue that is left behind won`t do any harm except attracting dirt.

You`ll need to re-wax that area, of course.

velobard
08-17-2006, 07:45 AM
If a simple gas drip caused major paint damage, we`d all be pulling our hair out.

Accumulator
08-17-2006, 11:50 AM
This used to be a huge problem back in the days of single stage lacquer- almost *every* Jaguar XJ6/12 used to have paint issues around the fuel fillers from this. But today`s b/c paint is mighty tough and it shoudn`t be a problem. I had a hold-open latch malfunction when filling the MPV once and it *flooded* the quarter panel with gas. No problem at all.

chml17l
08-17-2006, 12:42 PM
Well, all you have now is really clean paint where the gas dribbled. :D Gas is nothing more than a good solvent and will strip any protection that may have been on the paint. Just wash the area and be sure to reapply some wax/sealant.