PDA

View Full Version : Layering zaino

Pages : [1] 2

dmarcus48
08-16-2006, 06:40 PM
Ok, I have a 4 month old Acura TL Silver, have always used the Klasse twins, but this w/e decided to try zaino. So this weekend I put on a coat of z5, followed by a coat of z2, the next day another coat of z2.

My question is, what if anything does the zfx do? Should I put the z2 on straight or use a small bottle with a couple of drops of zfx?

Dave

imported_paradigm
08-16-2006, 06:43 PM
zfx is an activator that speeds up curing. according to Zaino, you NEED to use zfx for the first application on the cleaned surface. using zfx will allow the product to cure as fast as 30 minutes...rather than the 24 hours without. once you have the first coat down, you do not have to use zfx again for the additional layers...but you might as well so you don`t have to wait a full day inbetween.

a recent thread on here revealed that Zaino also recommends NOT using zfx for the final coat...and let that one cure slowly.

wannafbody
08-16-2006, 06:47 PM
ZFX acts as a bonding agent and tightens the molecular crosslinking

dmarcus48
08-16-2006, 06:48 PM
thanks very much. Any thoughts on how many coats of z2 to achive maximum results? Usually there a point where more coats do not equal more shine. I found with Klasse SG that was usually around 3-4 layers.

Dave

imported_paradigm
08-16-2006, 06:59 PM
maximum layers in a 24 hour period is 3, according to Zaino. it`s personal choice, but i doubt you will notice an appreciable difference if you exceed 2-3 layers of z5 and then 2 of z2. after that, it`s my opinion that people "think" it looks better to justify the time and effort they just spent to put 735257200239238 layers of product on their car. :)

dmarcus48
08-16-2006, 07:13 PM
thanks much.

jmsc
08-16-2006, 07:16 PM
the way I see ZFX is if you don`t use it you just threw away $20 (assuming you bot it). Might as well use it up and then wait for the upgraded Z-2P/Z-5P polishes.

imported_memnuts
08-16-2006, 07:51 PM
There is no recommendation that ZFX should or should not be used for the final coat of a multiple layering 1 day session. It is only "NOT" necessary to to use a ZFX mixture for the final coat.

Example: You have mixed enough Z5PRO for 2 coats that you scheduled for this application. After these 2 applications you decide to add that 3rd layer of Z5PRO or Z2PRO. It is not necessary to make a ZFX mixture for this coat but perfect okay if one does for the instant curing.

With good finish prep 3 coats of Z5PRO normally reaches its limit of hiding/filling any blemishes.

2 coats of Z2PRO maximizes it appearance augmentation on a good finish.

A single application of either Z5PRO or Z2PRO is sufficient for months of durable protection and appearance retention.

Hope this helps. :wavey

imported_paradigm
08-16-2006, 08:18 PM
http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=76059&highlight=sal+zaino

that`s the thread i was refering to...i may have misread...the zfx not being needed is an option, not a recommendation by Sal.

imported_memnuts
08-17-2006, 04:52 AM
http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=76059&highlight=sal+zaino

that`s the thread i was refering to...i may have misread...the zfx not being needed is an option, not a recommendation by Sal.

No problem paradigm.

Often I apply the final coat without ZFX if I run out of ZFX mixture or change to alternative Z formulation. :2thumbs:

FidoAUTO
08-17-2006, 09:05 AM
I had my GF`s brothers Prelude at my shop for 2 weeks while he was on vacation and I applied all my Zaino without ZFX..... I should mention that each coat I put on was left on the paint for 12 hours and then, when wiped off I didn`t put another coat on for about 24 hours..... I repeated this step 4 times.

That was about 7 weeks ago and the paint still looks and feels very similar as to when I pulled it out of my shop. I should also mention that the car is parked outside 24hrs a day and always exposed to any elements.

basically what I`m saying is..... If you have the time... .ZFX is definately not needed, I have it.... but I`m only ever gonna use it if I gotta do 2-3 coats in one day.

wannafbody
08-17-2006, 09:15 AM
without ZFX being used on the first coat it will only reach about 60% of it`s potential. remember that ZFX also aids in how tight the molecular chains crosslink. It`s more than just a fast cure additive. That being said, with out ZFX, Zaino still is better than most other products.

percynjpn
08-18-2006, 10:17 AM
So can I ask, if you apply a coat of Z2 (w/o ZFX) over a single base coat of Z2/ZFX, does it actually take 12 HOURS :eek: to dry? Obviously, it depends on temp, etc., but what kind of wait do most people experience?

imported_memnuts
08-18-2006, 10:26 AM
So can I ask, if you apply a coat of Z2 (w/o ZFX) over a single base coat of Z2/ZFX, does it actually take 12 HOURS :eek: to dry? Obviously, it depends on temp, etc., but what kind of wait do most people experience?

The applied sealant actually dries rather quickly 15-30 minutes depending on the weather, which allows us to buff off residual.

"Curing" (completion and stablization of crosslinking) is what takes longer and full curing is stated as about 12 - 24 hrs.

percynjpn
08-19-2006, 08:59 AM
The applied sealant actually dries rather quickly 15-30 minutes depending on the weather, which allows us to buff off residual.

"Curing" (completion and stablization of crosslinking) is what takes longer and full curing is stated as about 12 - 24 hrs.

Thanks for the reply; so would you mind if I ask your opinion, as I know you have as much experience as any with Zaino: do you think that secondary coats of Z-2 without ZFX removed within an hour are superfluous (ie don`t last)? I was planning to do additional coats without, but if it takes so long to actually "cure", it sounds like a waste of time.

Thanks,

Todd