PDA

View Full Version : swirls? Is it impossible to..

Pages : [1] 2 3

djsway
03-28-2005, 06:54 PM
not have any? I use the two bucket technic, use mf towels ect, and still get a few but not alot. Am I doing something wrong? Or do you guys also have some? :confused:

MS22
03-28-2005, 07:11 PM
Some people claim to have absolutely swirl free finishes on their daily drivers but I highly doubt their claims. Regular use of your vehicle will induce some surface marring regardless what you do to keep it clean and protected. Unless you are talking about a show-car-garage-queen vehicle, maintaining a swirl free finish is impossible. The marring that occurs does not suggest that you have poor techinque or that you do not care for your car properly but rather the vehicle is being used constantly and uncontrollable environmental factors, like small rocks and dirt, that are kicked up towards your car at 70+ MPH cause light scratches, etc. As an owner of a black car I presonally feel that maintaining a swirl-free finish is absolutely impossible; I am not ashamed to admit this in lieu of people thinking that I lack proper technique when it comes to caring for my car. A light polish like SSR1 or FP every 3-4 months is safe to use and will remove the marring that does occur. Find one of those "my daily driver is always swirl-free" people and I`ll be glad to show them they are wrong.

Boss_429
03-28-2005, 07:15 PM
It`s nearly impossible to completely eliminate swirls. However, you can keep refining your washing/drying/Qd`ing techniques and the tools you use to detail. If you are keeping the swirls to a minimum, you are on the right track!

The key is to keep looking for ways (and tools & products) to continue to improve the process. :bigups

djsway
03-28-2005, 07:19 PM
Thanks guys, that makes me feel alot better. I don`t use the best stuff out there but I try. Will using glaze help out? Or should I use polish?

truzoom
03-28-2005, 07:20 PM
Just remember that even when most of our vehicles are their dirtiest, they`re still cleaner than most other vehicles on the road. I personally think some people are WAY too ocd about keeping a perfect finish on daily drivers. If you just do the necessary things to keep your ride lookin` good then you`ve done a good enough job.

Remember that swirls/scratches are actual blemishes in the paint, so a polish is going to take them out, while a glaze or some waxes will only fill them.

Boss_429
03-28-2005, 07:23 PM
Thanks guys, that makes me feel alot better. I don`t use the best stuff out there but I try. Will using glaze help out? Or should I use polish? Well, you will certainly need good polishes to remove the swirls, and a glaze will help hide them (temporarily).

However, I`m a firm believer that the majority of swirls (spider web marks) are caused when washing/drying/QD`ing. The other swirls and imperfections you don`t have much control over........ especially with black.

djsway
03-28-2005, 07:25 PM
Well, you will certainly need good polishes to remove the swirls, and a glaze will help hide them (temporarily).

However, I`m a firm believer that the majority of swirls (spider web marks) are caused when washing/drying/QD`ing. The other swirls and imperfections you don`t have much control over........ especially with black.

I think I`ll go with glazing, from what I read it only fills in and not abrase. Is that right?

Boss_429
03-28-2005, 07:27 PM
Yep, the glazes will fill............. for a short while.

Poorboy
03-28-2005, 08:09 PM
I know someone with a daily driver that is swirl-free but not perfect...and yes "she" is definitelty OCD:lmfao

Boss_429
03-28-2005, 08:15 PM
I personally think some people are WAY too ocd about keeping a perfect finish on daily drivers.
It`s fun to try! :D

Woob
03-28-2005, 09:04 PM
I know someone with a daily driver that is swirl-free but not perfect...and yes "she" is definitelty OCD:lmfao

I know who it is! :D

Back on track, yes it`s impossible to have a perfect surface. However, the main point is to protect your car and minimize the rate of marring to your surface. Technique, lighting, user perspective, and many other aspects of detailing are all essential to these goals. Okay nevermind we are all crazy :D

agentf1
03-29-2005, 12:16 PM
My dd is swirl free atleast 60% of the time. My weekend cars are swirl free. It is just an isolated scratch here and there that you can only see under flourescents that keeps bugging me. And 3 out of 4 of them are black.

klnyc
03-29-2005, 12:21 PM
So all glaze is a filler? Approx how long will it last and whats the best filler out there in market?
Meg #80 is a glaze filler, I cant tell how it last. Does the filler actually comes off and you can literally see swirl re-appear?

agentf1
03-29-2005, 02:57 PM
Glazes usually don`t last more than a few washes.

zannard
03-29-2005, 05:25 PM
Glazes usually don`t last more than a few washes.

What about topped with a good wax?