PDA

View Full Version : So its time for the car to get use to the "college life"...

Skyhawk
08-15-2006, 11:45 PM
Well this thursday i will be moving down to Jacksonville, Florida to go to Jacksonville University/the Delta Connection Academy. This is going to be a big change not only for me, but for my car. I went to UNC-Charlotte last year and i lived right down the road from campus so i just stayed at home...so my car is use to being parked in the garage all the time and being washed about 3 times a week, if not more. But now im going to be staying in a dorm when i get to JU, and of course i dont have the luxury of my shaded driveway to wash my car anymore.

So my question is, what steps can i take to make sure my car stays in good condition appearance wise while im down there? There are 2 of those car wash booth things right down the road from the campus, but ive never been to one of these. How exactly do these work? Ive also thought about getting some of that "no-rinse wash" but im not too sure about that. Which would be the better and more efficient way to keep my car clean? Wash booth or the no-rinse wash? I use Zaino as my protectant, and so i should be good protection wise.

Im also guessing that i need to order a lot more towels...right now i have just 3 PakShak WW drying towels and a couple of DF towels, so ill probaly end up ordering some more towels so that ill have enough while im down there.

Also, what is a good car cover? Id like to keep it covered whenever its going to be parked for a while, is there any cover that is the best? And do i need to know anything about using a car cover so that i wont harm the paint?

I know that i wont be able to keep the car as clean as it was up here while at college, but at least i can still keep it looking good. Any help would be appreciated. :)

By the way, if anyone is interested, here is a pic of my car...

http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/717/transam18du.jpg

imported_truzoom
08-15-2006, 11:53 PM
Grab some QEW or ONR and you`ll make quick work of cleaning your ride. Since you are essentially washing and drying a panel at a time, you`ll never have to worry about water spots. This method is cheaper than going to the coin-op.

As for the car cover, I wouldn`t bother. A college dorm parking lot isn`t the place to leave something for the curious to fiddle with.

imported_GregCavi
08-15-2006, 11:54 PM
Being that your set protection wise and I know zaino is great for that I would reccomend the no rinse wash. You can, with 2 gallons of water, wash your entire car in less than 20 minutes. The self serve wash is going to be sub par and it will most likely greatly lessen the life of your zaino.

I would be kind of shakey about using a car car unless the car wash absolutly 100% clean and dust free. If anything, in this case, a car cover is dragged across the finish it will leave marring. Thats just MHO though.

I am in the same boat as you in college. The no rinse washes work for me!

Nice looking car btw.

Greg

imported_themightytimmah
08-16-2006, 12:52 AM
Make friends with someone who lives off campus :). Freshmen year I had a buddy with a house that I could detail at, and I hooked him up with some free work as a thanks.

velobard
08-16-2006, 07:06 AM
If I was taking a car that nice to college, I`d take a serious look at lowering my deductible on comp coverage as much as possible.

Shelbrain
08-16-2006, 07:33 AM
Yeah, at Florida State, I saw many a convertible top get slashed while in the dorm parking lot or garage. It seems that the nicer your car is, the more people want to **** with it.

BigJimZ28
08-16-2006, 07:43 AM
dude, do youself a favor and get a $500 p.o.s.

Skyhawk
08-16-2006, 03:20 PM
yeah i am worried about my car getting vandalized...guess thats something ill have to live with. I did have a 98 Firebird as my dailey driver, but i sold that when i found out i was going to JU. Hopefully i wont have any problems while im down there.

I know i could do a search, but i might as well ask it while were on the topic of no-rinse washes...how exactly do they work? Am i going to have any marring from using it? My paint is in GREAT condition right now, and i dont want to be messing it up everytime i wash it. I have heard it is ALOT easier than normal washing though, so i guess ill have to give it a try.

schoi
08-16-2006, 06:47 PM
Yeah, at Florida State, I saw many a convertible top get slashed while in the dorm parking lot or garage. It seems that the nicer your car is, the more people want to **** with it.

I`ve been lucky. Third year of undergrad while driving an `03 Vette to campus and I`ve never had more than a minor door ding or two on the molding.

I would also be very leery of covers / suggest QEW.

Nice ride, and good luck to you!