PDA

View Full Version : Best product/technique to remove bugs?

Floriental
08-15-2006, 10:27 PM
Hi,

When I was driving through a rural area recently my car got absolutely pelted with flying insects. It was a huge swarm of some kind, seriously I thought it was raining or something!

I`ve been trying to get them off, but it looks like it`s gonna take something more than detailing spray or washing. I didn`t want to use anything abrasive if I could possibly help it. Any suggestions? Will I have to use detailing clay?

imported_truzoom
08-15-2006, 10:46 PM
A presoak is probably one of the easiest ways to facilitate easy bug removal. Just let it do the work for you. No scrubbing.

imported_GregCavi
08-15-2006, 11:37 PM
I got a little crazy the other day and did a presoak on a horrendously bugged front end. The crazy part I am talking about was using meguiars super degreaser 4:1

After letting dwell the SD was sprayed off with a black and decker pressure washer. The bugs came right off and the SG was safe on the paint.

While doing a detail for a bodyshop last week the owner and also a very nice guy came over and sprayed some paint prep stuff on it (trying to find the name of it yet) and it removed every spec of bug on the front end. I plan on using it prior to my full details if its needed.

Greg

splogue
08-16-2006, 07:53 AM
The bodyshop chemical was probably 3M Prepsol. Very similar to 3M adhesive remover, which Griot`s carries.

You may want to try placing a warm wet towel on the area and leave it there for a while. Then come back, take the towel off, and see if they wash off. No chemicals needed if it works.

Joshua312
08-16-2006, 08:47 AM
I pre soak with Poorboys Bug Squash, if that doesnt work I put a little WD-40 on them to see if thats going to budge them, if it doesnt I move up to one of those plastic razor blades, you can wrap it up in a thin towel if you would like, or just make sure you arent pushing against the paint and just let the tool do the work to lift them off.